Frustrated with Dish HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Overlord66

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
I've had Dish for over a year and have been trying to add a second HD receiver for about the last 8 months. First I wanted a second 811 even though they are not the best receivers. I felt I should be able to watch the HD channels I pay $10 for on both HD TV's. Well since my year wasn't up I would have to buy one outright wich is something I was not willing to do. So I waited. Once My year was up I was looking at HD receivers again and decieded I needed a DVR well at that time everyone hated the 921 and the 942 was going to be the greatest thing in the world. The problem with that is Dish wants your first born in order to get a 942.

So what should I do, I am sick of waiting for Dish to offer a deal on the 942 but the $700.00 seems like a lot on a piece of equipment that ties you to one company. The 921 is cheap now but seems to still have issues and Dish has all but forgotten it. So what would you do if you needed a HD-DVR. :confused:

HI OverLord66 and welcome to Satelliteguys! :) If it was me I would hold off just a bit and wait for Mpeg 4. Dish has announced plans for this but nothing on a hd dvr yet. If its something that you cant wait for and you can part with the money, go for the 942. I have had it sence the first week it came out and I have been veary happy with the unit. I have had veary little bugs and maybe reboot my system 3-4 times sence i have had it. It is well worth the money and also something to keep in mind dish did announce a while back that they would add pocket dish and mp3 funcuality to the unit in a future sofware update. Over all i think this is definaly the best reciver dish has put out on the market! down right. but thats my personal oppinion. I understand your frustrations and I was there with you. but once mpg4 comes around in early 2006 and the plans to be announced sooner enough information should be around for you to make an educated desishon.

hope this helps..

On a budget? Pick up an 811.

Got a little more dough? Pick up a 942. I love mine. Almost better than sex (sorry wife).

I'd advise NOT to wait until MPEG4 rolls out. It could be a long wait and you'd be denying yourself HD bliss.

Now with the hurricane (and more to come, don't forget) and high energy prices causing comsumers to reduce non-essential spending, Dish may well be hurt enough on their bottom line that they have to delay releasing new hardware. Who knows????

I also have the 811 for one year now and the sd quality of mine 811 is terrible. Am I the only with this problem and is the quality of the sd picture much better on the 942.

Is buying a 942 the only way an excisting customer can upgrade to a 942, Dish says the $250 upgrade deal is only for new customers,that doesn't say much for their respect and appreciation for existing customers, after all were the ones paying the bill's. Just can't see paying $700 or $800 for a receiver! Help!! :shocked

David Dietzel said:
I swapped my 811 for a 942 -- the 942 SD and HD picture quality was noticably better with the 942.

Maybe the Dishstore people can offer you a good price on a 942 box.

Does any one know what the price is at Dish store and how long it takes to get it? They don't have it listed on their site and I would rather buy form them rather than Ebay.

The SD quality from my 811 is the same as from my 510, 4900, and Dishplayer. At least it is when I use the s-video output from the 811. If you use the DVI or component outputs for SD, it is much worse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)