Frustrated

DWReimer

Original poster
May 12, 2005
Here is the issue I am having. I have BEV service that I am receiving in Michigan, well within the footprint of both the 91 and 82 satellites. I have had the service for around 10 years and never had issues with signal strength or transponders cutting in and out. About 6 months ago the signal from all 91 and 82 transponders started fading in and out. It gradually got worse and worse until it was no longer watchable. I lose the signal and get the "Please standby for the satellite signal" message every 10 seconds. I had a Dish Network 500 dish with a dual lnb. I have two BEV 9242 receivers that are probably around 6 years old. Here is what I did to try and detect where the problem was. I put up a new 500 dish and a new dual lnb - didn't work. I ran a new cable directly from the dish to the receiver (tried both receivers individually) - didn't work. I then thought that maybe the 500 dish was no longer big enough to catch both signals (because of the reported satellite wobble), so I bought a new Winegard DS 2077 30" Dish Network Satellite Dish (DS2077) to use in conjunction with the 500 (pointing one at 91 and one at 82). I tried pointing the new 30" dish first to the 91 satellite. I get great signals on all transponders (75-90 range) but it takes about 5-10 seconds to lock onto the transponder and when watching a station the signal still cuts in and out. I can't find a signal at all from the 82 satellite, probably because it is taking so long to lock into a transponder. At this point I have no idea what to do next. I figure it can't be a problem with the receivers, since I am getting the same issue from both (unless both are corrupt, damaged or out of date). Does anyone have any idea if this is a dish issue. lnb issue or a receiver issue or what I can do to fix the problem? Do the receivers need a firmware update? It says my software version is V195.

Very Frustrated - Missing Olympics on CBC.

Thanks!

What kind of switch's are you using?

Gradual loss of signal can be a sign of water getting into a cable or connector.

A Dish for each bird would indicate you are using Dual LNBF's on each Dish, so just make sure connectors are good.

Any chance you can run a temp line from an LNBF to the Receiver, for Aiming and troubleshooting?

Dish wobble? Not on the Nimiq Birds.

Don't forget to run a Check Switch after any change in configuration, otherwise you will have errors.

Replaced the cable. I have a new cable going directly from one LNB on the dish pointed to 91. No switches. Still get the same issue. I do not have dual LNB's.

Yep, Capacitors are a good place to start after checking Cables Connectors etc.

Just as reference;

Single LNBF fits in 1 side of the "Y" Yolk and has 1 output
Dual LNBF fits in 1 side of the "Y" Yolk and has 2 outputs
Twin LNBF fits in BOTH sides of the "Y" Yolk and has 2 outputs
Quad LNBF fits in BOTH side of the "Y" Yolk and has 4 outputs

Pretty sure from your posts that you have Dual LNBF's.

I had the same problem, and did cut down a few trees. I'll bet money his problem is capacitors in the 9242 reciever. I posted here about my problems, same as his and found the answer at the digital home site. He can fix his issue for about $2.00 Loss-of-signal-at-45-Lat? was the post here. DWReimer, pm me if needed I have the capacitor numbers and a few left over, or check out the site at digital home, very detailed on how to fix. Easy too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)