FSN college football HD feed is 1440x1080

LASooner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 29, 2005
I have a R5000HD enabled receiver and the last 2 games I recorded off of Fox Sports Net's HD feed were 1440x1080. I just noticed it today when I was backing up the files. Why would dish be cross-converting Fox's 720P signal to 1080i anamorphic?

The r5000 captures the mpeg stream straight off the decoder chip, so that's the res of the signal Dish is broadcasting.

The ABC and ESPN games I've captured were 720p

Dish may not be the one, the FSN might have picked up the feed from a 1080i source.

Why do most gripers assume Dish is the one "ruining" their HD experience.

It is cheaper and easier for Dish to pass the signal through as it comes to them (no transcoding, no extra equipment, etc.)

I can't imagine Charlie buying superfluous and expensive equipment just to mess with your HD experience.

Dish may not be the one, the FSN might have picked up the feed from a 1080i source.

Why do most gripers assume Dish is the one "ruining" their HD experience.

It is cheaper and easier for Dish to pass the signal through as it comes to them (no transcoding, no extra equipment, etc.)

I can't imagine Charlie buying superfluous and expensive equipment just to mess with your HD experience.

I highly doubt the station would just switch (or even be capable) for an event.

There was a thread about this happening with ESPN a while ago. It was a Dish screw up, just like this one appears to be.

Fox is supposed to be converting over to 1080i. Can't remember where I read it but you could be seeing part of that change.

I have a 722 which, incredibly, does not natively passthrough the signal (720p or 1080i). Can someone advise which setting I should select for a 768p HDTV? Would one be better than the other, or is there value in changing the selection via the Dish menu depending on the channel viewed (e.g., ESPN- 720p, NBC- 1080i)?

Thanks,

I have a 722 which, incredibly, does not natively passthrough the signal (720p or 1080i). Can someone advise which setting I should select for a 768p HDTV? Would one be better than the other, or is there value in changing the selection via the Dish menu depending on the channel viewed (e.g., ESPN- 720p, NBC- 1080i)?

Thanks,
Just set your output to 1080i and leave it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)