Please reply by conversation.

mikelib

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
Jersey Sure
FTA & Dayton Hamvention

When I first went to the Dayton Hamvention in 2010, there were 5 vendors in the flea market area selling FTA and subscription satellite equipment.Sadoun was one of the vendors who had his truck there and was selling FTA stuff and solar panels.

Fast forward to 2012 and I found only one vendor selling some LNB and DiSEqC switches. He had a used Invacom SNH-031, the sticker price was $69 dollars, I put that puppy right back down on his table and said “Have a nice day”.

I did not see any TV satellite dishes for sale in any part of the flea market and that flea market is very large. There were some micro-wave dishes and one vendor was selling 2.5 gig wireless satellite dishes and I was surprised that he had sold almost the whole batch that he had stacked up. Some young kid walked out with three of them. (Any fast-food place in 5 miles of where he lives is going to find an increase in their internet usage.) :)

On the Ham radio side of things the Hamvention was packed this year. Lot more people and vendors this year then last. An older crowd on Friday and a much younger crowd on Saturday I didn’t attend on Sunday. While all the food vendors were charitable organization, there was nothing charitable about the price of a half liter of cold bottled water. EGADS $2.75 FOR BOTTLED WATER!

Well all in all I had a grand time, purchased a new Software defined radio, a new antenna and 40 foot of army surplus tent poles to hang the antenna on.

One of these days I hope to make it to the Dayton Hamvention. I have been to a lot of different Hamfests but have never made it to that one.

Wow, I would need a week to go through the whole thing properly.

I attended in 1983 (travelling from my home-at-the-time in Pakistan to attend), 2000, and 2009 before I had an interest in FTA. If there was no FTA in the flea market, that is bad. That must be the largest electronics flea market around. Hope you saw the demo versions of the new HF radios from Kenwood and Yaesu. I know you saw the new Flex 6000! I think Hamvention MUST relocate to a new venue. I voted for (if I attended) being willing to pay a higher admission if they moved to a new venue.

Added: In 2009, I saw that guy selling those 40-foot poles. I told him to put a big ad in QST or similar because those poles were cheap and so useful for any ham or experimenter needing to get an antenna up into the air.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)