FTA dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WeissMan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Southeast US
If I buy, let's say a motorized 36" dish for FTA channels, can I also use the same dish for DishNet reception and get rid of the DN dish that I currently have? In other words, does my DN receiver care what dish is hooked up to it?

Where can I find information or a diagram for hooking up a system with both FTA and DN receivers.

Happy Independence Day!

Thanks

:usa

actually the Dish receiver does care because it needs to see the DN sats to download the guide info and to work properly.

Always best to have the DN/Direct equipment away from the FTA setup

Follow up question

Thanks Iceberg,

Is it a compatability issue and DN will only work with a DN dish or is it a matter of pointing it at the right Satellite(s)? If pointing is the issue, would a motorized dish solve the problem.

Thanks,

WeissMan

DN receivers expect specific hardware and specific satellite configurations. When you hook them to a motorized dish and move it around with an FTA receiver you take the satellite "out from under" the DN receiver. The DN receiver will then want to rescan for satellites and change its configuration. Also you normally would get 2-4 satellite positions with a Dish 500 or Dish 1000 and by hooking the DN equipment to the FTA dish you would typically get 1 satellite position which isn't really enough.

You really need to just run two RG6 cables, one for DN and one for FTA. You can use the "plus" technology to get dual tuners on some DN DVR units via one cable so if you happened to already have two lines for DN you might be able to re-use one by upgrading your DN equipment.

Last edited:
Iceberg and Gillham already covered this, but let me add that there really is no work-around for using the DishNetwork dishes on their receivers.
Motoring will not help when using your own 36" dish.

You really need independent dishes, cables, and switches for both systems.
Speaking of which, Dish receivers are very limited/picky about what switches they use.

Confusing the receivers by not having all the satellites on line, can lead to unpredictable operation.
And, you'll never hear the end of it, if you call DishNetwork for assistance.
They do not support any sort of hybrid setup.
Frankly, no one here will offer any help with such a lashup, either. :(

In short, keep your equipment separated.

and please, no one bring up a T-90 - that's not what the OP is talking about! - :rolleyes:

and please, no one bring up a T-90 - that's not what the OP is talking about!

Why throw that option out? OP's stated motivation is to have only one dish. That's not an unreasonable desire.

If he's on EA a T-90 could get the vast majority of the Ku birds and DN, too. It would keep the DN/FTA wiring separated and avoid a motor.

Thanks to everyone for your input,
It is sounding like my goal of a single dish setup is not something for a newbie to be attempting. I will setup the FTA independantly from DN, so is there any point in spending the extra $ for a motorized dish?

Thanks again,

WM

It is sounding like my goal of a single dish setup is not something for a newbie to be attempting. I will setup the FTA independantly from DN, so is there any point in spending the extra $ for a motorized dish?

The answer to the motor question is probably yes. You have four options, maybe more:

1. Offset FTA dish with a motor. This will allow you to receive a gaggle of satellites with essentially optimal reception. Getting the motor aligned is a straightforward process, but plan on taking plenty of time if you haven't done this before. It can be tedious for some. Motors are often finicky and may require maintenance and tweaking over their lifetime. If you experience high winds, you may have more of this because a motor on an offset dish gives the dish a lot of leverage to twist.

2. Offset FTA dish without a motor and a single LNB. You'll only be able to receive one FTA satellite. Unless there is one you have in mind that has everything you'll ever want, this isn't very appealing. It is easy to set up and cheap. You can always start here and add a motor later.

3. Offset FTA without a motor and a few LNBs. You can buy or fabricate brackets to position more than one LNB on an offset dish to receive multiple birds. Unfortunately those off-center will have a weaker signal, and with an offset dish you can't go more than a few degrees before the level drops significantly. Still, if all the satellites you want are within a few degrees of each other, this could be an option. However it can be very hard to space LNBs close enough together to get adjacent orbital positions. Additional LNBs, switches and brackets could quickly approach the cost of a motor.

4. Toroid dish and multiple LNBs. A toroid is designed to pick up many satellites over a broad arc (around 40 degrees) with very little loss. Technically speaking you could put DN LNBs on this dish if you wanted to have only a single dish, but these need to have reverse polarity. The wiring for DN and FTA would still be separate. The use of toroids is very polarized. One either hates them or loves them. I'm in the latter category although I have motorized dishes, too. I've found toroids a little easier to setup than a motorized dish, and it's very nice to be able to instantly switch without waiting for the motor. But they are more expensive and you'll need a bunch of LNBs and switches to select the one(s) you want. The spacing of LNBs for adjacent orbital positions isn't as tight as for #3, but if you want to line up the LNBs every 2 degrees, you'll have to be creative. There are several threads on these forums that show how.

Most would recommend #1 and I tend to agree. However if you really want to have only one dish and/or instant switching, #4 would be a close second for me. Either way, look at Lyngsat and see which satellites you want to receive, and check that you have good visibility to the ones you want. That may help make the decision for you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts