FTA in Minnesota...??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KanadianKicker

Original poster
May 5, 2006
Hi,

I recently set up an FTA system.

I wanted to add a dish pointing to AMC-4 to pick up RTPI. From what I have read I will have no luck with an 18" dish - I should go with a 36" dish. I see that a 36" is not all that expensive, but when you add shipping it gets to be more than I was looking to spend. I have looked, and looked but am unable to find anywhere in the Twin Cities area that I could purchase something like this in person and avoid the shipping fees. Can anyone reccomend somewhere?

I did post to Craigslist and got a response for a 36" x 22" oval DirecDuo dish - it has what looks like a regular LNB and a wierd looking one which I assume is for the internet. I saw some discussion on this from a previous post. Would I be able to get this to work for AMC-4? Would I be able to use the existing LNB? I did read something about it possibly being out of phase and having to turn it upside down.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome :wave from another fellow Twin Citian (SW suburbs)

The DirecPC dish usually has 2 LNB’s on it, one that is rectangle (which is used for KU) and a “pencil” one that is used for DBS.

That KU LNB will work great for AMC4 (101W) and you can use it as is. I use to use a 39x23 DirecPC dish for a couple satellites and it worked great (don’t use it now..just sitting there collecting dust) :D

Small World

Iceberg,

Thanks for your reply. I am SW also... Chanhassen. Wierd coincidence - it was your review of the Coolsat 5000 that I read that convinced me to purchase it - who knew your were practically a neighbor.

If you have dish that would work well with AMC-4 that you would like to sell let me know - would save me a pretty long drive to get this one.

Again, thanks for the great info.

KanadianKicker said:
Hi,

I recently set up an FTA system.

I wanted to add a dish pointing to AMC-4 to pick up RTPI. From what I have read I will have no luck with an 18" dish - I should go with a 36" dish. I see that a 36" is not all that expensive, but when you add shipping it gets to be more than I was looking to spend. I have looked, and looked but am unable to find anywhere in the Twin Cities area that I could purchase something like this in person and avoid the shipping fees. Can anyone reccomend somewhere?

I did post to Craigslist and got a response for a 36" x 22" oval DirecDuo dish - it has what looks like a regular LNB and a wierd looking one which I assume is for the internet. I saw some discussion on this from a previous post. Would I be able to get this to work for AMC-4? Would I be able to use the existing LNB? I did read something about it possibly being out of phase and having to turn it upside down.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

As the Iceborg said the DirecDuo will work great, if you don't manage to get the dish I have a few White DirecPC dish, a Globecast dish and a 40" Primestar dish.

http://psbsatellite.com/Used_items.php

I used to install DirecPC and I used to dread doing Duo's this far north as the dish was not quite big enough when used on the G4R satellite!

Good Luck and WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

KanadianKicker said:
Iceberg,

Thanks for your reply. I am SW also... Chanhassen. Wierd coincidence - it was your review of the Coolsat 5000 that I read that convinced me to purchase it - who knew your were practically a neighbor.
I'm in Shakopee so pretty much a neighbor :)

If you have dish that would work well with AMC-4 that you would like to sell let me know - would save me a pretty long drive to get this one.

Again, thanks for the great info.
sure. It's just sitting in my spare bedroom collecting dust. I have the mast and everything if you want it. just PM me :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)