FTA Installation for Telstar 5 -- 60% Level only

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yup, here "elevation" means viewing angle, or maybe the elevation of the dish relative to its mounting pole. To see a satellite from one location, it'll be the same angle whether you're on the roof or on the ground.

- To be more accurate, It is the "dish elevation angle" setting as you might see in either of the following attached picts...
Hope this helps .... :)

Attachments

• dish_elev1.jpg
    dish_elev1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 220
  • dish_elev2.jpg
    dish_elev2.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 132
I bet you know this but I still want to say it. A dish moves in two ways, up and down, side to side. Think of the dish as a spot light that is aimed at the satellite you want. With analog signals there is some room to be off. With digital signals there is very little room for error. Think of is as a smaller spot light. It takes some time and practice

A signal meter is not needed BUT helps put the spot light near the sat you want. It should save you some time.

Cyberian75 said:
Can someone point me to a reference that explains the importance of "elevation"? I still don't get why it's so important.

I'm physically-challenged, and I'm setting it up for my father who does not take critisms well and is very impatient (typical Korean in his 60s). Anyway, I think he assembled the dish wrong, so there's nothing I can do at the moment.

Anyhow, thanks a lot, guys! :)

I can think of one off the wall idea. If you access to a digital camera maybe if you can post it that might confirm where or not it is assembled wrong?

Cyberian75 said:
I'm physically-challenged, and I'm setting it up for my father who does not take critisms well and is very impatient (typical Korean in his 60s). Anyway, I think he assembled the dish wrong, so there's nothing I can do at the moment.

Anyhow, thanks a lot, guys! :)

Unfortunately, I don't have one. Thanks for the thought, though. :)

He'll hire someone for $50 to do it...

Could someone post a picture of an assembled dish so I can compare it to my own???

Thank you. :)

Yes, I made all these myself. Bought the pipe from HomeDepot, cut and band. The cost is about $20. I can easily adjust the post to make it vertical.

The mass coming with the dish is too low and the dish may touch my roof when rotating (the motor lowes the dish). And also I don't want to drill holes on roof which may cause leak.

Very creative! I have been in satellite communications for over 20 years and your rig is one of teh best that I have ever seen! Great job on the pinch points. Rotation is usually the weakness of most homebrews. Certainly not in your install!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)