FTA Magazine Article

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikelib

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
Jersey Sure
FTA Magazine Article

The February 2010, Monitoring Times has an article by Ken Reitz, KS4ZR, titled
“Pansat 9200HD: Keeping up with FTA Satellite Changes”.

Very interesting article on what is FTA how and what it takes to get started. Next month there will be a follow up article on what satellites are around the Clarke Belt.

Ken writes the Getting Started, The Beginner’ Corner Column for Monitoring Times magazine.

Here is a link to Monitoring Times web site, presently they don’t have the article posted, if you are interested in reading the article e-mail them they might post it if there is enough interest.

This post is informational, not an endorsement. Mike Lib

I use to subscribe to Monitoring Times, then then purchased it at the store, but now I can't find it anymore.

I use to love it when I was big into Shortwave listening. :)

Hard to believe that the ARRL is a stones throw away from my house and I have never went for my ticket. I would love it I know but there is not enough time in the day anymore.

I thought about getting involved with ARRL as it seemed pretty cool how far you can go with the lower frequency. I am a bit curious about sending data packets on it like internet service perhaps 256k or 512k.

I had a Monitoring Times subscription a few years ago (you can get it in PDF form for like $20 per year). They were already starting to mention FTA then, mostly in the context of getting better reception of the same programs people like to listen to on shortwave via 97W and 101W.

I used to get Monitoring Times and Popular Communications (similar magazine though slightly less tech-oriented) at my local library, especially when one of my friends that worked there made sure they were made available (he is into shortwave and had FTA for a short while). But since he retired from the Library, the library stopped carrying them..I sometimes try to get them at a local Borders, but they always seem to move their magazines around so I cant find those particular ones, unless they stopped carrying them too..

Well since I work at one of the largest library systems in the country...Guess I'll have to see if I can obtain a copy. I know we don't have it at the location I work at...I'll check to see who else has it. I'll report back what I find..Blind:)

I used to be an avid monitor and at one time very involved in amateur radio. Monitoring Times and QST were read and reread.

Maybe SatelliteGuys and Monitoring Times might become partners? Possibly barter banner space and a subform? Seem to be natural partners as we both are monitoring some of the same frequencies and similar technologies. Maybe Monitoring Times could provide Satellite Guys with access to archives or PDF versions and SatelliteGuys provide increased exposure for the monitoring hobbyist?

Or at least some advertising.

I have that copy, although I picked it up for other reasons (mostly the state of radio and the Shortwave in the Developing Nations articles). I think a few times a year they mention all the cool stuff you can get with FTA -- with focus on the International and the PBS.

Sent an e-mail to Monitoring Times assistant-editor Larry Vanhorn, to ask him if they would make the article available on there website.

I am awaiting reply.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)