FTA & OTA with the same box.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

acuevas

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Orange County
Hi All,

I have three IRDs ( Viewsat 2000 Pltinum & Extreme, Coolsat 5000 ). Can any of these boxes be used for FTA & OTA( over the air digital TV ) signals at the same time? Thanks.

The only ones that can possibly get both are HD receivers

and there are only a few (Coolsat 8000, Coolsat 8100, Pansat 9000, 9200, Sonicview 8000, 9000 (I think), Diamond)....others might chime in with more models

Not that I know of.
The TV antenna input is to pass through outdoor signals to your TV set if you are in the mode to send the TV your FTA pictures on channel 3/4.
(an idea I do not support)
The SD receivers have no OTA tuner.

AND, for the record, the few HD receivers which have an OTA tuner are pretty awful, IMO!
You are much better off finding a better solution.

This may not appeal to ya, but I had a Silicon Dust, HD Home Run dual tuner recommended by Linuxman.
It hooks to your computer LAN, and works GREAT!.
I got a $15 remote (new, Amazon), and used the Vista Media Center software on my laptop.
The tuner was a refurb for under $100, last year.
He just got a used on one craig's list today, for $40. :up

I do FTA and OTA seemlessly with my computer, no problem that way. So you could build an HTPC "box".

I second Anole's recommendation of the HD Homerun tuners. There's nothing like distributed OTA HD across your network to any of your PCs at any time ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)