FTA Receiver with ATSC Tuners + PVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cableuser001

Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Hi,
I presently have cable + DVR. I want to get rid of subscriptions and my TV viewing is quite limited. I want to use the receiver for OTA/ATSC channels first and later if my budget permits, I'll buy a Dish later

I am technically savvy, but don't want to build anything myself.

Please suggest me a receiver: I am looking for a receiver which has the following functions.
1. Atleast 1 ATSC+QAM tuner (2 ATSC tuners will be better)
2. PVR facility where I can replace the HDD easily.
3. Ability to access internet through the receiver.

The closest I could find online is "Captive Works 4000HD". However, it is too expensive for me (~$480). It looks like a PC with the right software.

I am looking for something which is <$250 and has the above functionality. HD capability is good, but I can live with SD if it meets the above 3 requirements.

---------
Other questions:
----------
1. Are their any good reviews on these. I haven't found any exhaustive review or comparison of different receivers.
2. Can someone compare the improvements of Capitve works 4000HD over 3000HD?
3. Can I add another tuner to an existing 4000HD receiver?

Any other ideas.

Not an expert on receivers, so no solid answers here, but I have a couple of observations to offer if you don't mind. If nothing else, your premise is intriguing to me, and this may spur conversation.

I'll buy a Dish later

Interesting in that it is unusual to look for an FTA box with the primary purpose being outside receiving satellites. While it is true recent boxes have ATSC tuners in them, it always feels to me as more of an engineering afterthought or add-on. From a purely viewing perspective, if it works, this does not matter, but it suggests to me the same level of engineering effort hasn't gone into the OTA tuner as the DVB tuner.

1. Atleast 1 ATSC+QAM tuner (2 ATSC tuners will be better)

I think there was a thread around here a few months ago asking about QAM capabilities in DVB boxes. I recall, at least as of that time, no manufacurer had produced a QAM capable box. Nothing has changed since then. 2 ATSC tuners I've never heard of, either. I run two separate ATSC boxes on the same TV, so if this exists, I'd love to know about it. Two ATSC combined with a DVB receiver? Oh, I'd guess rather unlikely.

2. PVR

I am looking for something which is <$250

Ack. I think you just feature/priced yourself out of the market. At least for a little while.

ANOLE: Thanks for directing me to the other discussion.

USDOWNLINK: Thanks for your comments. The Captive Works 4000HD seems to be something that I can add another tuner and get what I want. I want to check if others have used this.

I am cheaping out here when I say <$250. I don't want to buy something that I don't need. If, in the meantime I can find someone selling a used dish, I would consider that/. I don't want to spend a lot on something I am not familiar with.

I am thinking of a commercial Linux Media Center Edition Box. I could buy the HDD/Tuners myself.

Thanks.

Oh, yeah. You are a little above me on the total integration side of things. I looked at the specs for the CW4000, and indeed, it is actually a computer with some embedded tuners, with the ability to add more. An interesting prospect, with advantages all it's own.

I am still a little old school when it comes to an STB, I guess. I've not seen (nor can guess future) compelling value in:

On that note, I'll agree you might be best with a LMCE standalone box. FTA remains a sort of wild frontier in the western hemisphere. As best I can gather, you seem to need tuners and options and upgradability, as opposed to a dedicated unit. The CW4000 will not give you nearly as many paths to upgrade and tinker in the future.

Ethernet on a STB

. . .
I am still a little old school when it comes to an STB, I guess. I've not seen (nor can guess future) compelling value in:
cableuser001 said:
The current use for internet access is -<censored*>- and for firmware download related to hacking.
A valid application for internet access would be to obtain Guide information.
So far, none of the STBs do that. Some of the computer-based systems do, though.

A truly valid use for having an Ethernet port on an FTA STB, is to be able to access it's recordings from your computer, OR to let it access recorded video from your computer and play it through your TV.
So far, no STBs do that, either.

* = yes, I self-censored, so as to not stray into off-limit areas of discussion.

It sounds to me like you need an HTPC. It can do it all when set up properly. I'm curious as to why you need two ATSC tuners in the same machine. So you can PVR one channel while watching another? I would definitely look into an HTPC, you can have two ATSC cards, and DVB cards all in one machine. No way you could do it on less than $250 though. Two ATSC tuners and a DVB card(maybe 2 of those to) would run you minimum $150-200. A basic computer to run all that you are probably looking at another $500. I myself have considered going down this path several times, just haven't pulled the trigger. STBs are just too easy, plus all my switching goes through my A/V receiver.

The current use for internet access is -<censored*>- and for firmware download related to hacking.
A valid application for internet access would be to obtain Guide information.
So far, none of the STBs do that. Some of the computer-based systems do, though.

A truly valid use for having an Ethernet port on an FTA STB, is to be able to access it's recordings from your computer, OR to let it access recorded video from your computer and play it through your TV.
So far, no STBs do that, either.
The DGStation Relook 400S (and the DreamBox) can do that, in fact, it can record straight to a network share. Since these boxes are linux based, they are more like computer then other STB's.

Other possible uses for network access is web based record scheduling, IPTV's, podcasts, Youtube, weather, RSS feeds, etc. Another uses is to stream live and recorded shows to other STB's or computers. Just think of the features networks added to Tivo, ReplayTV, and XBMC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts