FTA setup and running

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ronjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
I got the Sadoun M2 system this week. I was out of town so could not put it up until this weekend. I could not do it yesterday because my wife had other plans for me. Today I put up the 90cm dish, motor, and fished a new rg6 cable through my attic. I am currently scanning through satellites to see what I can find. My line of sight is horrible. I mostly wanted IA5, so I found a spot that would allow me to get that one. I cannot see anything east of AMC-3 because of line of sight. I am about to scan on Galaxy 10R to see if I can see it.

Keep in mind that the "look angle" of the dish is differant from the angle it is pointing at. I have a dish pointing at AMC3 that looks as if it is pointing right into a bunch of branches, but all is well. I believe the average is around 15 degrees higher than elevation??

Good luck.

If the dish was aimed directly where the center of the dish is pointing, I would be in even more line of sight trouble.

I am having a problem. When I move the dish around the satellites, the weak TPs on IA5 will come and go. I aimed the dish with a weak TP. When I move, then back to IA5 a weak TP will be gone. When I move again and back, the TP will be working fine. The stronger TPs on IA5 always work. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I did not tighten the LNB very tight. I don't think it would move much, but maybe as it rotates as the dish moves. Could that cause my problem, or do I just need to re-align the dish on the weakest TP I can find?

could be trees moving front of the dish, or check and make sure everything is tightened down. What kind of signal are you getting on the waeak TPs?

Last edited:
I am pretty sure it is not trees. There are some tall pines in the general direction, but no leaves, and IA5 is in a large hole in the group of trees.

I am using a Mercury II receiver. When I first aimed the dish, the weak TPs on IA5 were getting about 65-68, the strong ones 75. The receiver seems to get anything about 50 and higher. After extending the RG6 length to get inside the house, the signal dropped about 2-5 on all TPs. When the weak ones(12090) work, they get about 60. When they do not work, it shows 2-3 level and 2-3 quality. The quality will spike to between 45-60 for a few seconds, then go back to 2-3.

IA5 is the only sat I have noticed the problem on, but it is the only one I watched more than scanning, and looking at the channels.

Mercury II receiver
Fortec Star 90cm dish
Fortec Star Universal LNB
SG2100 motor

Well something is moving, but not the LNB. I edited the position of IA5 a little. With the sat at 97.3 instead of 97.0, the TPs come in. I will put it back at 97.0, bump it a little and make sure everything is as tight as I can get it this evening when I get home from work.

Mercury II receiver
Fortec Star 90cm dish
Fortec Star Universal LNB
SG2100 motor

I have another question about encryption. There are a few channels (about 3 that I have seen) that do not show up in a FTA scan, but do in al ALL scan. They show that they have viaaccess encryption, but I can see the video and audio. Most of the encrypted channels display "Scambled Channel". Does the signal carry a code for encryption such that a channel can show viaacess, but not actually be scrambled?

It could be data. Some of the satellites are used for internet stuff or data transmission, I don't know if IA5 is one of those or not.

If your signals come in better at 97.3, heck leave it there. According to my zipcode I'm supposed to be at 86.4 but when all is adjusted my siganls come in better at 86.1 I figure just knowing the zip gets you in the ballpark, and the numbers may vary depending on where you are at in that location.

ronjohn said:
I have another question about encryption. There are a few channels (about 3 that I have seen) that do not show up in a FTA scan, but do in al ALL scan. They show that they have viaaccess encryption, but I can see the video and audio. Most of the encrypted channels display "Scambled Channel". Does the signal carry a code for encryption such that a channel can show viaacess, but not actually be scrambled?

for some reason, a few channels do this. The religious ones on AMC4 show $ (scrambled) but aren't. So you have to scan "all" for those

GaryPen said:
The receivers know how they beg for money on the religious channels. (I'm surprised it doesn't do it for the PBS channels too.)

just some of the religious ones. Most are FTA :)

Dr_Brian_Oblivion said:
If your signals come in better at 97.3, heck leave it there.

I only adjusted the receiver satellite position, not my position. I am getting several satellites, but IA5 weak TPs are stronger .3 degrees from the actual location. I believe I could have issues seeing other satellites because of this. I will try to "tap" the dish .3 degrees. That should be fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)