FTA with Dish Network Dual dish 500's??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cgott42

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
I have a standard Dish Network installation (done by them) and have 2 Dish 500 dishes connected to a DP-34 which feeds into the house. I connected my Twinhan 1020a FTA card and followed the directions on the web forums, using My Theatre but no dice. It shows a signal, but does not scan any channels. I've tried multiple times.
I know a little, but am not very technical so I'm not sure what Superdish, and linear signals mean, as mentioned in a prev. post, and if it applies to me.
Can anyone tell me how to set this up.
If the switch is the problem, I can run a separate cable from the LNBs to the DiSecq switch.
Let me know,
thanks!

yes the swtich is the problem.. you have to use legacy switches. or a dpp 44 switch (supports legacy) I have gotten the DPP 44 swtich to work using Diseq. The super dish is diffrent than a dish 500. Super dish sees 3 locations with one dish and one location is FSS. (it uses diffrent Polarities than the dbs slots) the DBS slots are 110,119,61.5,148 and 129 (nothing on 129 yet) These all use circular polorization. Think Clockwise and counter clock wise. the FSS side witch is 105, 121 uses Linear signals. (think Left-Right) and UP-Down. your best bet is to run those separate cables from the LNBS to the Discq switch and give that a shot. (you might need legacy lnbs for this to work) I dont know how well this will work with a DP quad or twin. If you have dp duals on slots then your good to go. A way of telling what you have is buy doing a check switch and it would say DP34 - D500 Twin. or you can look at the unit itself. If you have two seperate eyes on your main dish 500 then your good to go. If you have what looks like One unit with two eyes then you have a quad or a twin. Hope this helps you out.. and GOOD LUCK!

Even if you get it working via the DP switches... for what? GolTV and NASA?

The 20" Dish500 dishes are all but useless for FTA, depending on what channels you are trying to get.

The standard answer for an FTA setup is to get a minimum 30" dish, and bigger is better. A good Ku LNB such as the invacom would be nice and you can always add a DSS LNB to the mix for reception of the couple channels here and there that come in FTA from the DSS sats (such as the Audio from 91W).

Yes, keep this away from "THAT TALK". I have a full dish subscription (over $100/mo), and don't want the thread to be closed.

I checked my switch setup from the menu
It says Dish Pro 34
port 1- DP - Twin 109
port 2- DP - Twin 119
port 3- DP - Twin 61.5

Does this "twin" mean that it won't work, as I don't want to pay someone to go to my roof, and run the other lines from the lnb's to the Disecq switch if it's not going to work. I'm trying to keep this as a cheap hobby.

thanks

It could potentually work with a DISH PRO SPLITTER! split on all Locatons before the 34 Switch.. with the first output on the DISH PRO SPLITTER going to the 34 swtich and the 2nd one going to the Diseq switch. for this you would need a total of 3 dish pro splitters and they have to be split between the lnb's and the Switch. Good luck.
I hope this helps you and it would keep you from running lines.
The reason why it works is becase the satelight signal is split BEFORE the SWITCH!

It would go like this

119------ Dpsplitter 1 port 1-------34 sw
----------DpSplitter 1 port 2 -------- Diseq 1

110-------DPsplitter 2 port 1-------port 2 34 sw
-----------Dp Splitter 2 port 2------Diseq 2

61.5 or 148---Dp splitter 3 Port 1------Port3 on 34 sw
--------------Dp Splitter 3 Port 2------- Diseq 3

Thank you. A couple of questions:
(1) Before I pay someone to go to my roof and do this, are you sure that this will work?
(2) Is there an advantage to this, over running the lines from the unused LNB (dual LNBs) to the Diseqc. I'm guessing the advantage of the splitter is not having to go near the dish (and perhaps ruin alignment- then again if I'm pyaing someone to do this, if they ruin the alignment, it's their headache to realign it) and the disadvantage is the splitter may lower signal strength (?)

thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)