Full Screen

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bmr4242

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
Asheville
When watching HD channels that have the black bar on the sides I can't seem to get the picture to stretch. I have the Direc Tv setting to 1080i stretch on the box. My tv is 1080p so it can more than handle my setting. Is there something more to do with the box to get the picture to stretch, or is there something wrong with my TV. I have it set to the full screen picture setting. Thanks

When watching HD channels that have the black bar on the sides I can't seem to get the picture to stretch. I have the Direc Tv setting to 1080i stretch on the box. My tv is 1080p so it can more than handle my setting. Is there something more to do with the box to get the picture to stretch, or is there something wrong with my TV. I have it set to the full screen picture setting. Thanks

What are the settings in the menu on the rcvr?

Hey..................I just noticed you live in Asheville. I am in Swannanoa!!

The DirecTV HD boxes don't allow you to change the aspect ratio of any 720p/1080i/1080p channels, only 480i. You'll need to have your TV do the stretching if you need to .

If its a HD Channel that is letter boxes like ESPNHD or CNNHD can be there is nothing that can be done via the box.. those black bars on a HD feed are transmitted, but the colors are changeable if its a "Informationless Color". CNN transmits their logo while ESPNHD and FNCHD iuse the bars for other info. The only way to stretch a 4:3 HD transmission is by setting the "Zoom" on your TV which will distort the image and reduce the quality of the image. You will then have to do this each time you change channels based on what the channel is broadcasting at the time.

The way I describe Stretch vs Normal to a customer is with this example... "Your watching a beach volley ball game in its normal mode, the girls look tall, slender and attractive. now when you zoom or stretch it, that game is now a bunch of Short Fat girls playing on a beach"

Anyways you will have to use your TV aspect settings in conjunction with the D* formats to get the show to your liking.

The stretch setting is used to stretch a 4:3 aspect ratio ( SD broadcast) to a 16:9 aspect ratio filling the entire screen of your TV. If it is a true HD broadcast it will automatically fill your entire screen.

Thanks for all the info. I think it is a problem with the TV itself. The just scan feature is grayed out and it won't let me access it.

The reason you cannot stretch them is because the black bars are part of the actual image being transmitted...therefor there is nothing to stretch. It would be similar to stretching a show that is already 16:9.

Thanks for all the info. I think it is a problem with the TV itself. The just scan feature is grayed out and it won't let me access it.

The reason you cannot stretch them is because the black bars are part of the actual image being transmitted...therefor there is nothing to stretch. It would be similar to stretching a show that is already 16:9.

There is nothing wrong with your TV or D* equipment.

As Dodgerking mentioned, the bars are part of the transmission and cannot be removed.

Jimbo

I wish the Dish receivers enforced this. Everytime I visit my inlaws, they are watching something in glorious Stretch-O-Vision(tm), even if it's a HD signal, they'll have it stretched. They got in the habit of hitting the * button every time they see something that doesn't completely fill the screen.

Using the E* 622/722, you could stretch images. They even had very nice custom stretch modes, where you could control how much stretching or enlarging you wanted.

I have a CRT-RP set, where viewing too much 4:3 can cause screen burn-in. So given that most 4:3 viewing isn't that critical anyway, I set up a custom mode of where I slightly magnified the image, cutting off a bit of the top and bottom, and then slightly stretched it, to fill the screen. The overall effect was watchable and protected my TV.

I would love to have this feature on my HR21.

You really shouldnt want these "removed" or stretched. You want the picture as shot.
I agree, but not everyone feels this way. Some want the picture to fill the whole screen, and while I do not agree, I do understand.

Using the E* 622/722, you could stretch images. They even had very nice custom stretch modes, where you could control how much stretching or enlarging you wanted.

I have a CRT-RP set, where viewing too much 4:3 can cause screen burn-in. So given that most 4:3 viewing isn't that critical anyway, I set up a custom mode of where I slightly magnified the image, cutting off a bit of the top and bottom, and then slightly stretched it, to fill the screen. The overall effect was watchable and protected my TV.

I would love to have this feature on my HR21.
I think this is why i asked. I just switched from E* and was able to fill the the screen up nicely. I appreciate all the advice and comments from everyone hear and am enjoying tv far more than I ever have since the switch to D*

A customer is asking me the same thing. He just switched from E* to D*, and is complaining about his stretchability. It seems that he CAN stretch the image, but whenever he changes channels, it goes back to un-stretched. He has a new HD, DVR box.

Do I have to tell him tough luck? Or is there some stretch option similar to what E* offered when switching from HD to SD channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)