FURY in Anaheim!

FIREBIRD81

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 21, 2005
I realize myself and KC are probably the only Angel fans on here, but since this is the sports section I have to link to this story. I never in my entire life thought I would be ashamed of my hometown newspaper. But today I am. Apparently the Orange County Register thinks that Angel fans are racists for not mourning the loss of Frankie Rodriguez! I'm gonna leave it at that.....my ahnds are shaking, I am so angry right now...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/rodriguez-fans-angels-2252061-season-most

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize myself and KC are probably the only Angel fans on here, but since this is the sports section I have to link to this story. I never in my entire life thought I would be ashamed of my hometown newspaper. But today I am. Apparently the Orange County Register thinks that Angel fans are racists for not mourning the loss of Frankie Rodriguez! I'm gonna leave it at that.....my ahnds are shaking, I am so angry right now...

http://http://www.ocregister.com/articles/rodriguez-fans-angels-2252061-season-most

Your link doesn't work....

The columnist contradicts himself multiple times. At one point, he says it's not about racism, then he goes onto talking about race and gives many examples that can only point to that. And I agree with Cosmo on the poor journalism. If this is the quality of product that comes from So Cal's papers, I feel bad for the readers.

It's that Rodriguez doesn't look or talk like most people who sit in the stands at Angel Stadium. His skin is darker, his voice accented.
We aren't saying it's racism. It's human nature, being comfortable with what's most familiar.
Face it, Angels fans always will remember Tim Salmon's final season more dearly than they will all of Vladimir Guerrero's seasons here combined.

They embraced David Eckstein but only tolerated his replacement, the statistically equivalent Orlando Cabrera.

They applauded the grittiness that allowed Darin Erstad to appear in 157 games in 2000 but wondered if it was cruise control that permitted Garret Anderson to play 161 the next season.

Again, this isn't racism. That's too simple, too convenient and way too often used incorrectly as an explanation.
The Angels are not better today. They also are less colorful, both literally and figuratively.
It is one of the most interesting arrangements in all of sports, and one rarely noted. Here, in Orange County of all places, sits the professional sports team owned by a Latino and general managed by a black.
And now the Venezuelan closer is gone. This, by itself, makes certain people happy. They see their beloved team looking a little more like they do today.

FYI, I sent him the following email:

You should be fired for trying to stir up racial tension within the Angels organization and its fan base. I have never read anything more ridiculous in my life! And you’re a Caucasian man!!!! You should be ashamed of yourself. But then, you’re a member of the press and things are quiet right now in Anaheim in the baseball world…maybe time to “stir up the Kool-Aid”, eh?

A pox on you!

I never read the OC Register, so luckily I missed this. It's trash.

A very sad and off base column. The Sports Editor should be reprimanded also for letting this pass in his section as a thoughtful and concise column.

Angel fans deserve better.

I'm not gonna post any of the followups to this story, because I think the paper is taking this one for a little ride to garner publicity, but another columnist and one of the sports writers has set Jeff Miller straight. Today Jeff printed another column defending himself and claiming one of the Angels players is backing his position, without naming the player. On Ocregister.com you can see all of the fan replies calling for his head, as well as the other columns. I would think Mr. Miller's future in the world of sports columnists could be in jeopardy. I can't say I've ever seen a sports column so off-base and outright inciteful.

I'm not gonna post any of the followups to this story, because I think the paper is taking this one for a little ride to garner publicity,

PRECISELY! That is what I was referring to when I wrote him this:

But then, you’re a member of the press and things are quiet right now in Anaheim in the baseball world…maybe time to “stir up the Kool-Aid”, eh?

Well, this guy is an Idiot, with a capital I!!! He talks about racism and then talks about how Chili Davis and Rod Carew would be cheered, so where's the racism he's talking about. Just a dumb article all around. Where did this come from about K-Rod leaving being racist? All I heard was about how K-Rod's velocity is down etc. that's why he left and now signed with the Mets.
Just a dumb article. Can you understand why the newspaper industry as a whole is dying? Yes it's the economy but with articles like this you could see why.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)