Future Dish Receivers, 3, 4, 5 tuner DVRs?

AppliedAggression

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Connecticut
If the direction Dish seems to be going with one receiver having multiple outputs to different TVs, I would if it would be possible to have a "set top box" that would incorporate 3, 4 or 5 tuners and be able to output them all to different TVs. I think it would make many installations easier, since most homes are wired for cable. You would just stickt his box in the basement and hook it up to the current cable lines running throughout the house. Everyone would have a 200ft UHF remote and be able to access the DVR content. Current 7200rpm drives might not be able to take on 5 tuners, I'm not really sure, but I think this would be a great idea. Not only would you save no receiver costs but every TV be able to access the SAME content and have DVR capatibilites would be great.

It sounds like a good idea BUT.........

I agree with you on being able to access the content from any TV but I don't agree with having everything in one box (except for elimination of the additional receiver fee). I would MUCH rather have two or more receivers that are networked (like the RePlay receivers can be) than have a possibility where the failure of one box could result in no TV for the entire household.

The point of having everything in one box would be to cut down on costs. Not on extra receiver outlets costs but if you can have a more powerful cpu in one box doing the work of 5 seperate boxes which have their own cpu then it might be worth it. A box with 4 tuners would cost a lot less than 4 PVRs. I assume.

I agree that one box that can do the work of 5 separate boxes SHOULD cost less than 5 boxes but how many people would be willing to pay that much for one receiver? Most people aren't willing to pay over $500 for a receiver (one of the reasons that the 721 has not been selling well) so there is a very limited market for "expensive" boxes.

With technology changing as rapidly as it is MOST people (and that is what the DBS companies are going after) will go for the cheaper receiver.

I'm not saying that your idea isn't good; I just feel that there isn't a real market now for a product like you suggested. The way that technology is changing and if prices keep dropping in the electronics industry there could be a market for your product in a few years.

Dish had planned to have a box in which would act as a whole house server and some with a hard drive that would be shared among the tuners. This would save money in some cases but if one thing were to go bad the whole unit may go and then that would get pretty expensive.

I think we may see this in a few years, but they also need to do something like this when it comes to HDTV because those receivers are also expensive.

Seeing that the 322 is going to be $199 I dont see where you are really saving any money on hardware seeing that two 301's are $99 each. You do get UHF remote capability in which is good and you do not get the $5 additional outlet fee charge so that is a benefit that would really help.

Stargazer said:
you do not get the $5 additional outlet fee charge so that is a benefit that would really help.

Bingo, this is the main reason for having multiple tuners in one box, since they run off of a single card, no extra receiver fee is charged and you get multiple tv's without paying extra just like analog cable.

Bill R said:
I agree with you on being able to access the content from any TV but I don't agree with having everything in one box (except for elimination of the additional receiver fee). I would MUCH rather have two or more receivers that are networked (like the RePlay receivers can be) than have a possibility where the failure of one box could result in no TV for the entire household.

This would be ideal if they can do this with a single card to eliminate the extra receiver fee.

A long time back, the 921 was originally rumored to be a E* project to build a "media furnace". Theoretically a great idea, but could it be practical and reasonably priced?

I think the most tuners you will see in a receiver will be four with four tv outputs (unless they have a different purpose for additional tuners in the future and can get the size a bit smaller).

A media server (A STB with multiple tuners with individual outputs) would be ok for systems that rely on RG6 coax for their av feeds. But how many of us have S-Video/Toslink/Component cabling run throughout the house?

The home theater will always need its STB, the media server can work the remaining minor TVs.

Last Thursday I could have used 3 tuners, which I think is crazy.. Survivor/CSI (I make this one long timer).. Friends/Will and Grace, and the Yankees game. What I ended up doing is starting the Yankees at 9:30 after Will and Grace. Come to think of it I just thought of another feature for the 721. If you have a timer conflict and when we get the triple conflict window, it could ask if you wanted to start one of the timers late. Hmm maybe we could get that upgrade by next October :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts