Future New Dish Netwok Customer

bayzbol44

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Carpentersville, IL
I plan on switching to Dish Network from D* I am making the move mostly for the HD benefits on Dish. Anyway, can someone advise what type of questions I should ask the installer to make sure I get this installed correctly the first time? I have a HD ready TV and plan on upgrading that in the future. I have been told I should still see a great difference in the pictures. I am signing up for HD Platinume with local channels. I did not have HD on D*. I am getting the vip622 DVR receiver on one TV and the regular DVR receiver on another TV. I live the Chicago area. Any advice would be great and appreciated.

bayzbol44: It looks like you have this one pretty much under control! Just 1 question - if you are going to upgrade the HD-ready TV, will you reuse it as your 2nd TV and would you want to go ahead and put in a HD receiver?

Anyway, platinum + locals is what we have and we really like it. The locals aren't quite up to the PQ of the national feeds (VOOM, HBO, Showtime, etc.) - this is our only real gripe. Otherwise, "Wecome to Dish!"

--Doug

bayzbol44 said:
But isnt it true that only one feed is HDTV and the other one is SD?

Outputs yes, but you can record HD on both tuners and watch HD programs on an sd set (won't be true HD obviously). When you put running two tv's off one receiver, didn't think you meant 2 HDTVs. Was ment to save you money and fees on buying second or third receiver plus the additional receiver fees.

And no, you cannot transfer recording onto the 622 hard drive. (I did think tivo will still work without anything hooked into it. I could be wrong on this point.)

By the way, I am getting a 622 and a 625 receiver in my setup. Is it true, I will only need a Superdish to receive all my channels, including HD ones? I keep reading threads of people having multiple dishes, but I am not sure if this is because of upgrades or not.

bayzbol44 said:
We have a bunch of stuff still on our D* Tivo receivers...Is there anyway of moving that over to the E* receivers?

No, but if it is that important to you or your Wife you could keep D* for another month or so and use your Tivos and play your recorded programs. Your new E* install could be an additional install @ the same price. I presently have both and have decided to keep D* to see what they will do to up-date my equipment in the future. (fall of 2007?)

There are some advantages of having both services (I use my DirecTV tivos and Dish DVR 622 daily), however you will be very pleased with DISH HD. Good Luck!

bayzbol44 said:
Am I to assume my installer will know this? Wouldn't they "include" one that would get ALL the HD channels, if that is what I signed up for?
Dish will prepare a work order based on the equipment and service you ordered and the installer will install only what's on that work order. There are a few situations where that gets screwed-up, but I think that is the rare exception. If you're worried about it, call E* again in advance of your installation (I would call the tech service folks, not the CSRs) and confirm what's in your work order and let them explain it all to you. You have mentioned you're getting 2 DVRs and that you live in IL. Your installation will probably be accomplished with the Dish 1000 and 3 LNBFs (one twin, one single?) with two downleads total to your two receivers. (I believe the SuperDish is obsolete.) The D1000 will receive all the "standard" and premium programming in your HD Platinum package from sats. at 110, 119, and 129 locations. The HD content including whatever HD locals you will get from E* are on the 129 sat. Depending on your location there are some issues with 129 that might be improved with a separate dish, but I'd let them install the 1000 first to give it a chance. You might also be able to receive additional HD channels over the air (OTA) with a separate antenna, and if you can that is advantageous for several reasons. Go to www.antennaweb.org and insert your address (zip code only is OK) to see what channels are available to you and that might help you make your decision about OTA. What E* will provide as your locals is the basic network channels. You might have other HD channels you can receive OTA that you won't get from the sats.

Good luck...! Everything should work out just fine...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. The guys are here now. They said they will be pointing to 129 to get the HD content. He explained a bit more about the 3 main different satellites.

bayzbol44 said:
Thanks for all the info. The guys are here now. They said they will be pointing to 129 to get the HD content. He explained a bit more about the 3 main different satellites.
Good! Ask them about your OTA options while they're there. I'm sure they have some first-hand experience with that as well...

I asked them about OTA. Their response..."What's that?". I explained to them what it was and they said, "We have never done that.". These guys were subcontractors.

bayzbol44 said:
I asked them about OTA. Their response..."What's that?". I explained to them what it was and they said, "We have never done that.". These guys were subcontractors.
I guess I assume too much! You should still check it out at some point - could give you a whole new group of programming. Even if you get your HD locals from E* there is a good chance you can get a better picture quality via OTA, and E* does not include the additional subchannels.

Hope your installation went well! You'll enjoy the 622. (I can't comment on the 625 - no experience with that one.)

BRgds...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)