Future of HD locals on 118.7

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Stephen J

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Anyone know what E* plans are for the HD locals that are currently on 118.7. In particular I am curious about Pittsburgh. The Pitt HD Locals were recently made available off of 129, however; 129 can be difficult to see in Western PA Is E* planning on removing them from 118.7 now that they are available off of 129?

They will remove Pittsburgh at some time as they have done with the others (Charlotte, Detroit, St Louis)

when? we dont know honestly

They seemed to have been removing the duplicated locals fairly quickly but stopped on Pittsburgh. Probably due to the reason you suggested about the LOS to 129. I bet you'll see them pop up on one of the new spotbeams on E-14 going to 119 next month. A few weeks later they'll be gone after that.

They were on 118.7 originally to get more folks signed up.

Why they are on 129? who knows...they should mirror them on 61.5 but the spotbeam is probably full

Yes they were originally aded in Dec. 2006 on the 118 Sat as Iceberg stated to get more customers. No cable systems outside of Pittsburgh city proper were even offering locals in HD then. The COMCAST system in Oil City only began offering Pitt HD locals in April '09. I agree they will probably move to 119 soon. I had an installer out here on Tuesday and kept stating that DISH will have everything on one Dish antenna. He would not even put up the EA dish w/a 118 wing dish.

Two posibilities Eastern Arc or Western Arc.

E14 may provide more spot coverage in area allowing them to put HD LiL on 119.

They have to wait on Eastern Arc until E15 is up to bring more capacity to 61.5 spots. E15 is not a spot beam satellite. But E12 is not using all the spot TPs it can use because they are in use for national TPs. If they get coverage of the TPs that E3 can no longer transmit covered with E15 they can move the national programming to the currently dark TPs and allow E12 to use the freed up TPs for spots.

If there is still not spot capacity they will probably have to wait for the new spot beam satellite at 77 to get in place, probably sometime next year.

I know that Dish does not reccomend this but, can a Dish 500+ and an EA Dish be hooked up to the same switch? Is their a switch that can handle all 6 inputs? Will the receiver know how to handle channels that are available off of more than one bird ie ESPN HD off of 110 and 72.7? Will an instaler do it, or will I have to pay someone not with Dish Network to do a custom install for that?

I know that Dish does not reccomend this but, can a Dish 500+ and an EA Dish be hooked up to the same switch? Is their a switch that can handle all 6 inputs? Will the receiver know how to handle channels that are available off of more than one bird ie ESPN HD off of 110 and 72.7? Will an instaler do it, or will I have to pay someone not with Dish Network to do a custom install for that?

I believe that is the standard install for EA with internationals. EA 1000.4 with Dish500+ for 118.7.

neither have spotbeams ;)

72.7 is owned by Telesat but Dish is renting it.
77W was a old satellite at 110 (Echo 8) and that never had spotbeams

Echo 8 does have spotbeams. The spotbeams might not be useful at 77w, but TPs 2,4,6,8, and 10 on E8 are spotbeam TPS.

The configuration of E8 is very similar to E7. 5 spotbeam TPs, the rest conus.

77 is starting to look like 110 did before E7/8 went up. They put a bunch of markets on CONUS until the spot beam satellite was launched. The "movers" will be happy for a while longer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)