Fuzzy picture on backfed tv

MadOtis

Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
I have a 522 receiver that is back-fed into my house cable using diplexers. If I hook a TV directly to the TV2 coax output, the picture is clear as a bell, but if I connect it to the output of the far end of the second diplexer, I get a really fuzzy picture. I've tried replacing the diplexers with known good ones from a different receiver and I get the same fuzzy picture. I've replaced ALL cables except the one that runs through the wall. I've also gone so far as to try the output on a completely different TV (again, with the same fuzzy picture).

Any suggestions on what I need to check or try replacing?

Thanks in advance!

Go to TV1, and bring up the modulator menu by hitting MENU, 6, 1, 5. Then change the modulated output to TV2 to channel 21 AIR. Then try it.

After changing it to AIR ch. 21 (and changing the TV setup to AIR and adding channel 21), I get nothing; just a black screen with no picture at all.

Well now, that's what I call progress! :p

You could try an auto search on TV2 after setting it to 21. The reason I say 21 is because the lower the channel number, the lower the frequency that carries the signal. Typically, lower frequencies are less affected by inferior quality cables. You could also try 73 cable, then run an auto search...

I have a 522 receiver that is back-fed into my house cable using diplexers. If I hook a TV directly to the TV2 coax output, the picture is clear as a bell, but if I connect it to the output of the far end of the second diplexer, I get a really fuzzy picture. I've tried replacing the diplexers with known good ones from a different receiver and I get the same fuzzy picture. I've replaced ALL cables except the one that runs through the wall. I've also gone so far as to try the output on a completely different TV (again, with the same fuzzy picture).

Any suggestions on what I need to check or try replacing?

Thanks in advance!

A backwards diplexer seems to be the most likely of suspects.

Crap... I think the "backwards diplexer" may be the issue. I can't remember now if I have the SAT cable coming from the dish going into the INPUT or the SAT connection. I'll check that as soon as I get home from work.

No other signals on that cable. It's a direct run from the diplexer through a splitter (2 TV "2"s driven from the single output).

One other thing that I'll check... I could be getting electrical interferance on that cable in the wall. It just dawned on me that there is also a 100amp power cable running through the same chase in that wall that feeds a sub-panel in the garage. If the diplexer isn't the issue, I'll try making up a cable and running it outside the wall just as a test.

Thanks all!

ok, I'm an idiot. I had the diplexer on one end in backwards. I say I'm an idiot, because I replaced it once with a known good one and put it back in backwards the second time as well.

It's clear as a bell now!

Thank you all!

How do you put in a diplexer "backwards" with two things on one side and one thing on the other?

How do you put in a diplexer "backwards" with two things on one side and one thing on the other?
I am guessing the cable end is going to the receiver, while the antenna symbol end is attached to the cable. And now I'm going to go check my own backfeed! I have 2 that are working correctly, and a 3rd that is acting like the OP's. May I plead temporary blidness? I know! Distracted by my 4yo at a critical moment. I'll blame it on her. She breaks everything.