Gaining permissions on a master drive

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Earlier this year my old computer died at the motherboard level leaving me with no other alternatives but to buy a new computer. The new one ended up being an hp instead of the home built that I wanted to make and after I got it home found that it was a sata machine through and through wich ment I had 2 IDE drives that I couldnt use.

Today after procrastinating for months I bought an external drive enclosure for the purpose of gettng about 1000 pics off the master drive and the slave drive and ran into a problem I had once before. The computer was set up with administrator controls and a password to keep my 4yr old from getting into the computer when we werent looking, what this means for me is that every folder and anything in it I dont have permission to access unless I take over control of the folder and all that it holds wich I thought I had done tonight but aparently not to the full extent that I can view each picture.

Let me give some details as to what I have to do one by one with each picture in the hopes that someone who is in the know can guide me to a considerably faster way of doing this.

While in the folder with all of the pics I right click one go to properties>security>continue>continue wich rings up the owner window where I select one of the two names listed Billy (Second-choice\Billy) and then apply wich I then get the notice window that if I have taken ownership I need to close the window blah blah blah so I click ok till the windows are closed.

I right click the pic again selecting properties >security>edit>add>advanced>find now and the name Billy (Second-choice\Billy) >ok>ok then under permissions for Billy click full control and ok and it grants me full access to the pic.

Is there any faster way to do this such as all at once for all the pics in just this one folder?

Yes, change the permissions on the folder, instead of the individual files.

Did that but for some reason it hasnt fully transmitted over to the files inside fully, administrator went over but I still have to do it with the name before I can see anything.

Got it, I changed ownership of the drive from administrator to my user name and selected all contents within to change as well and it took care of it all.

Just be glad you didn't encrypt the files too, cause you'd be SOL. BTW, you can do the same thing you did on a folder by folder basis, but you have to go into advanced and tell it to propegate settings to all child objects. (don't worry, it'll change the settings of your adult pictures too :p )

What adult files??? * shuffles papers *

Attachments

• 010200011608010306200802241b90e24b56c55e8898004f65.jpg
    010200011608010306200802241b90e24b56c55e8898004f65.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)