GAME DAY COMETH! Post your Football game day recipes here!

vampz26

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
Chicago
My game day favorite? oven roasted italian sausage and peppers!

Take a baking pan and coat with a thin layer of olive oil. Then a layer of onions, and then a layer of peppers of your choice. And then lay the sausages on top of the peppers and let roast in a 400 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes, flip the sausages over and go 20 to 30 minutoes more...just keep an eye on them to make sure they all cook evenly. If you have a convection oven, that helps tremendously...

The great thing about sausage and peppers for game day is the versitility of the peppers themselves. Not only can you throw a hot pepper in there or two to please the livelier of your guests palates, but sweet bell peppers come in a variety of colors. If you like, pick colors that correspond to one of the teams in the game! Green and yellow peppers for green bay, for example. Red peppers for the cardinals, Red and orange for the 49ers (same works for red skins)...

Anyway...I occasionally throw monday night football gatherings for my afterwork crew and thats usually my staple...as simple as it is, you would find it funny how many folks are impressed more with the color of the peppers corresponding to the game than the food itself! :D

The only problem is that at the end of the day, your choice of colors is not based on team preference as much as available sweet bell peppers....your pretty much limited to green, red, orange, yellow, and occasionally brown (chocolate) if you can find them. Dark blue and purple sweet peppers turn green as they cook and I learned that the hard way being a Chicago Bears fan. ;)

Anyways...I'll post a few more gameday recipes here since I entertain during the season often...I hope a few of you join me. :up

I made over 30 pork chops when the Bears were in the superbowl last, and usually throw a few on the grill whenever I have people over when the Bears are on Monday Night Football.

----

Mike Ditka’s Official Tailgater’s Pork Chops
Source: National Pork Board
Recipe by: Chef Tom Kenny from Mike Ditka's Restaurant in Chicago
Serves 8

8 (1-inch) thick pork rib chops
4 cups orange juice
1 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/2 cup Dijon-style mustard
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

In a mixing bowl, combine orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, mustard, honey and cayenne pepper. Mix together with a whisk. Pour over pork chops and marinate in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours. Remove pork from marinade; discard marinade. Season pork with salt and pepper and grill for 8-10 minutes, turning once.

For Green Bay games, nothing beats good old Wisconsin Beer Brats!

Just boil some authentic bratwurst in some beer with some slices of onion in it....(not the johnsonville kind, go to the Brat Stop in Kenosha, WI and pick up a dozen!) Boil them good, and throw them on the grill just to finish the job and char them a little. A little hickory smoke does wonders here as well...

Serve them on brat rolls with chopped onions, gourmet mustard and whatever else you can think of (except ketchup...) :)

BEARS vs. INDY TONIGHT!!

What else? POLISH SAUSAGE!!!

Having the core crew over for the game...going to cook them up Maxwell Street style smothered in grilled onion!

Bears vs. Carolina this weekend...the crew is coming over again...

Anyone got a recipe for a good BBQ Beef Brisket?

Bears vs. Carolina this weekend...the crew is coming over again...

Anyone got a recipe for a good BBQ Beef Brisket?

How big? Do you have access to a smoker?

The best brisket I've ever had was a 10lber, seasoned with a rub and smoked at 200-225°F for apx. 12-14 hours.

How big? Do you have access to a smoker?

The best brisket I've ever had was a 10lber, seasoned with a rub and smoked at 200-225°F for apx. 12-14 hours.

I don't have a smoker...but the orion cooker thread is starting to turn me on over there...

The Orion is a faux smoker. There's no substitution for the real thing. ;)

I will keep that in mind. My brother-in-laws father had a smoker that he prepared a turkey in, and that was delicious. I haven't talked myself into getting one yet...but this just might. :)

Anyway, no brisket at all last game! The rain here in Chicago just wouldn't stop. :(

I'll be at the Bears game next Sunday so I won't be cooking that day either...

I will keep that in mind. My brother-in-laws father had a smoker that he prepared a turkey in, and that was delicious. I haven't talked myself into getting one yet...but this just might. :)

Anyway, no brisket at all last game! The rain here in Chicago just wouldn't stop. :(

I'll be at the Bears game next Sunday so I won't be cooking that day either...

Rain didn't hold up my plans last weekend. I relocated the smoker to the garage. I kept it just under shelter and ran a fan in the direction of the smoke to blow it outside. Visit the Weber Smokey Mountain Thread to see my comments on my cooking experience.

The Orion is a faux smoker. There's no substitution for the real thing. ;)

HD, I have a Brinkman Smoke & Grill and I have never been able to keep the heat regulated in it. I've burned more turkeys and hams in that thing. What's the trick to successful smoking?

HD, I have a Brinkman Smoke & Grill and I have never been able to keep the heat regulated in it. I've burned more turkeys and hams in that thing. What's the trick to successful smoking?

You answered your own question. Successful smoking involves proper temperture control and cooking until the meat is done.

I've never owned a Brinkman, but I've heard from several people that they don't hold temperture properly.

I'd start by investing in a Weber Smokey Mountain. I just recently cooked (2) 6lb pork butts for 15 hours without the temperture fluctuating more than 10°. You also need to monitor the internal temperture of the smoker with a thermometer and adjust the dampers until you reach a steady temperture. I typically dangle a digital probe thermometer through one of the dampers to monitor the temperture.

The next important thing to do is to cook the meat until it is properly done. This often involves the combination of cooking until the internal meat temperture reaches a certain degree or until it becomes fork tender.

You answered your own question. Successful smoking involves proper temperture control and cooking until the meat is done.

I've never owned a Brinkman, but I've heard from several people that they don't hold temperture properly.

I'd start by investing in a Weber Smokey Mountain. I just recently cooked (2) 6lb pork butts for 15 hours without the temperture fluctuating more than 10°. You also need to monitor the internal temperture of the smoker with a thermometer and adjust the dampers until you reach a steady temperture. I typically dangle a digital probe thermometer through one of the dampers to monitor the temperture.

The next important thing to do is to cook the meat until it is properly done. This often involves the combination of cooking until the internal meat temperture reaches a certain degree or until it becomes fork tender.

Thanks. I have a Weber gas grill and love it. I'll check out their smokers.

Thanks. I have a Weber gas grill and love it. I'll check out their smokers.

Then you already know the quality and that Weber makes a great product. For less than $200, this smoker will last you a lifetime. The fall is coming up and football season is here. This is the perfect time for smoking. Invest right away and start enjoying my friend!

Plus, we need more folks to help contribute to the smoking threads here. We share recipes, techniques and pictures. No SatteliteGuys member should ever be disappointed with your smoke. And if you are, the collective minds will help correct it for next time. Good luck and let us know if you get one....

I have a Brinkman (should have listened to HD MM originally) and its a huge POS. I also have an orion and I love it......next summer I'll probably get a WSM. My fiancee would kill me if I bought 3 outdoor cooking devices over the course of a few months. :)

Well...noon game tomorrow at Soldiers Fields, looks like its going to be a breakfast tailgate for the Bears!

I picked up some Aidells gourmet sausages from Sams Club. (Chicken Pineapple Bacon sausages to be exact...I know it sounds funky but they are actually quite good!)

So yes...we are going to steam grill the sausages on my friends 'tailgate cooker' and fry up some eggs and potatoes on the side. Polish it off with a bloody mary before heading over to the game.

(while there, must have the prime rib sandwich in the cadillac club for lunch! YUM!!!) :)

HD MM,

my father uses a gas grill.

I have been trying to convince him to switch to charcoal for years.

Am I right, or is he right?

You’re both right. It's a matter of opinion really. I have both a gas and a smoker that I convert to charcoal once in a while.

Personally, if I had to chose between 1 or the other though, I’d chose gas. Grill Master,
Bobby Flay has admitted the same. Shocked? Lemme explain.....

Gas has the ease of temperture control, easy start-up and cleanup.

Charcoal requires more labor in starting up, controlling the temperture can be challenging and cleaning up is tedious. You live in Wisconsin and I Cleveland. In the winter, it can be a bear in playing with charcoal when you can just flick a switch and start-up a gas grill.

Charcoal cookers claim that there's more of an art to cooking since most of it requires physical attention, where as a gas grill is moderated by knobs and constant gas flow.

To me, the difference is in functionality and gas is more ideal for everyday use.

Charcoal cookers claim that there's more of an art to cooking since most of it requires physical attention, where as a gas grill is moderated by knobs and constant gas flow.

To me, the difference is in functionality and gas is more ideal for everyday use.

[/FONT]

I have a grill pan that I use on my gas stove that imparts the same flavors as an outdoor gas grill. It's just as functional. If I want true grill flavor, it's gotta be charcoal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)