Gamefly

BMcKen1912

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 17, 2004
Mississippi
Has anyone ever used this service?

It's $15.00 a month to be able to rent a game for as long as you want..sort of like they do with movies.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how well it works, as in receiving games and such, and if there are any hidden things you need to know about before considering giving it a try?

I had it and I canceled it, they only have one center they mail games from in California. (And I am in Connecticut) When I ordered a game it took 5 days to get to me, and when I had games in my queue I needed to send the disc back to CA, then they needed to process the return then ship out my next game so it was about a 10 day turn around.

I just signed up to try it. I found a 21-day free trial. I'm on the east coast ( MA ) . Games were shipped on 2/6. Received them on 2/9. I read they implemented FastReturn. When the envelope is scanned by the USPS, Gamefly is notified it's in transit and sends out the next game in your queue. No need to wait until they receive to send the next one out. I'll see how it works soon.

I am not too far from Scott and I am about to cancel after a month. Even with the supposed FastReturn, its taking 1.5 weeks for a round trip. I sent one back a few days ago and its not FastReturned yet even though I got an email saying it was active the first time I sent something back. If they had an East Coast facility this would be a great service but the logistics are just not helping right now.

I just signed up for it as well. I am still waiting for my first two games to arrive. I did manage to order tony hawk for xbox 360 for $0.99 which had to be a pricing mistake they had the game as buy it for $0.99 with tax and shipping it came to $4.00 we'll see if they actually send it to me though. They did charge my credit card for it.

I first started back in December. The first 2 disks took about a week and a half to get to me (in Indiana). By the time I sent my first game back, it took another 10 days to receive another game (the Fast Return wasn't active at that time). But since then, I can receive another game within 5 days (now that the Fast Return is active). I think it took a little while before my post office was posting that the received a game. Now that they are scanning it like they're supposed to, I'm getting games a lot faster. Sure, I don't receive games as fast as movies from Netflix (2-3 days), but it's gotten better the longer that I've been with them. I can now send a game back on Monday and expect a new game by Friday. So don't be fooled by the first few returns. Sometimes, it just takes them a little bit for them to get used to your particular post office.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm in Mississippi, so don't know if it would take too long to receive the games..I don't think it should.

I saw it was $9.99 but then saw that was for only the first month. But $15.00 a month for only one game seems a little high even though there is only a $5.00 difference. If it was for 2 games then that would make it better. But it's still cheaper than going out and buying the games.

How long can you actually keep the game before they charge you for it?

I have found the turn around time to be about a week with them but there is no place to rent 360 games localy so I guess that I am stuck with them

The slow turn-around times are my only complaint with the service, but otherwise it's worth it for me as I can try games before I buy them.

I wish Netflix wold start renting games. If they did, I'd drop Gamefly in a heartbeat. :D

I decided to give it a try. They shipped my games out today and said that it should take 2-4 days..so we'll see how it goes.

thanks for all the opinions :)

I've never heard of them before. I just looked at the site and it is a lot better deal.

Let me know how it works. I may want to give it a try instead if they have games readily available and such.

dont24 said:
I just signed up to try it. I found a 21-day free trial. I'm on the east coast ( MA ) . Games were shipped on 2/6. Received them on 2/9. I read they implemented FastReturn. When the envelope is scanned by the USPS, Gamefly is notified it's in transit and sends out the next game in your queue. No need to wait until they receive to send the next one out. I'll see how it works soon.
I dropped a game in the mail on Monday. The next game in my queue was shipped on Tuesday. FastReturn seems to be working. We'll see if it continues. As long as my kids get the games by Friday, for the weekend, I'm happy. May cancel when the warm weather returns.

So far for GamezNFlix mixed results. Here's the summary.

1. Placed 10 Xbox/360 games in queue on Sunday
2. 3 games shipped on Monday
3. 2 ordered games arrived Thursday. 3rd one was movie DVD and not game requested.
4. Reporting wrong Disc shipped not as easy as Netflix on website. However, you can submit issues.
5. Shipping address on games is Scranton PA (Pennsylvania). Pretty close to me in Connecticut which is good.

So far, not bad. I like that the distribution site is close and 3 games can compensate for mistakes or send backs. Cant really play 3 games at once. Dont have that much time. Next test will be how quickly they resend and if I am able to get more popular XBox 360 games. Grade so far is B with potential here. The price, 3 at once and close distribution with good arrival times is looking good. Just hope they dont make too many mistakes. I've only had 1 mistake with Netflix over 2 years. Thats alot of rentals too!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Brewer4. I may give them a shot, since I live in MA. 3 out for $17 sounds like a better deal.

Got note within 10 minutes to send game back with note. The only thing dont like, you have to re add to the queue to get the game supposed to get. Netflix has better wrong DVD and auto shipping of missing title. Hope this doesnt happen to often. So far happy with price and speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)