GameStop launching Elite with 360 trade-in promo

Heavie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Maryland
In two weeks, Microsoft will release the Xbox 360 Elite, the deluxe version of its latest console. Though equipped with a 120GB hard drive and a sleek black finish, the Elite's lack of game-data transfer options from current 360s and $479 price sparked controversy from when it was announced. Console-war partisans were quick to point out that the Elite is just $20 cheaper than the 20GB PlayStation 3 was--until that model discontinued, anyway.

Now, though, it appears that current Xbox 360 owners will have an alternative to hocking their old consoles on eBay. GameStop reps confirmed today that the nationwide game retailer and its EB Games subsidiary will be holding a promotion that will increase the trade-in value of Xbox 360s. The promotion will begin when the Elite goes on sale on April 29, and will continue "while supplies last."

However, it's still unclear how much GameStop will be increasing the trade-in value of Xboxes for Elite purchases. Several managers contacted by GameSpot confirmed a promotion would be unveiled next week, but said that they didn't know its exact terms. "It hasn't been announced yet," said one friendly but uninformed rep.

However, several online game-press outlets, most notably Xbox360fanboy.com, claim to have confirmed that GameStop will offer $250 in in-store credit for a Premium 360 with wireless controller and hard drive, $200 in-store credit for a Core 360, and $50 for an original Xbox. Currently, the retailer offers $215 in credit for a fully equipped Premium 360, $190 for a Core 360, and $30 for an original Xbox.

There is also some confusion as to whether or not the value of Xbox and 360 trade-ins must be applied to the purchase of an Elite. Though some online sites reported that said credit could be used to buy anything in the store, every GameStop that GameSpot contacted said that the 360 trade-in credit was increased only when used to purchase the new console.

Inquiries sent to GameStop corporate representatives regarding the 360 trade-in promotion had not been answered as of press time.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6169221.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

if u have to trade in ur old box and hard drive before u get ur elite, i guess ull lose everything on ur hard drive, cause there wont be any time to transfer it.

if u have to trade in ur old box and hard drive before u get ur elite, i guess ull lose everything on ur hard drive, cause there wont be any time to transfer it.
From what i understand this is correct. Lucky for me live it about to run out so i have to buy again any way.

That sucks cuz I have a lot of Downloads....I understand the TV Shows I can get back but what about the XBLA games. I spent good MS Points for those...and enjoy the games. Can you re-download those games?

I'm also kinda miffed that its black. The HD DVD drive is gray white...I'll have one black controller and one white...and isn't that QWERTY keyboard even white?

That sucks cuz I have a lot of Downloads....I understand the TV Shows I can get back but what about the XBLA games. I spent good MS Points for those...and enjoy the games. Can you re-download those games?

I'm also kinda miffed that its black. The HD DVD drive is gray white...I'll have one black controller and one white...and isn't that QWERTY keyboard even white?

you can re-download XBLA games. the licenses are tied to your account when you paid for them. I think the only one you might not be able to download is Hexic HD unless they changed it.

There is no way I am doing this. As much as I want the HDMI, don't really need a bigger HDD, I am not willing to pay that much extra for one.

you can re-download XBLA games. the licenses are tied to your account when you paid for them. I think the only one you might not be able to download is Hexic HD unless they changed it.

As long as you are online, you will be able to download games and shows you've paid for, however, there is a glitch for those that switch hardware.... Get disconnected from XBox Live and you lose access to the content.... A problem they are working on.....

I'm going for teh upgrade harddrive myself, but that's it... I don't need HDMI yet....

They should have included the HD-DVD drive built in.

Microsoft don't want to include the HD-DVD, because they want the 360 owners to download there Hi-def movie content from XBL. Also the Xbox360 HD-DVD drive didn't do as well as they thought.

Microsoft don't want to include the HD-DVD, because they want the 360 owners to download there Hi-def movie content from XBL. Also the Xbox360 HD-DVD drive didn't do as well as they thought.
Or they think bluray will win, and don't want to be stuck with a built in HD-DVD drive. This way they can just add a bluray drive later.

"The Gamestop Xbox 360 trade-in increase we talked about earlier in the week needs further clarification due to the evidence we just received. Kevin, a Gamestop assistant manager, sent us scans of the actual coupon flyers for the Elite trade-in promotion. All the Xbox 360 trade-in increases that what we reported on earlier ($250 Premium, $200 Core, $50 Xbox) are correct, but the promotional dates and how the program works is a little different than what we were told. In a memo to Gamestop managers, it clearly states that the Xbox 360 Elite trade-in coupon flyers must be held until April 29th (Elite launch day), when they'll be given out to all Elite purchasers. Then, before May 27th, you can bring in your special coupon from the flyer, old Xbox 360, and the receipt from your Elite purchase to get the increased trade-in values. This will allow you to buy an Elite, take it home, transfer all your data from your old 360, and then go back to Gamestop to trade it in for the increased value..."

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/04/19/360-elite-trade-in-offer-further-clarified/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts