Gamestop new Games?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
I do not buy video games much and I think it's been a year since I stopped in a gamestop, but did this weekend and was going to buy a new 360 game. When I went to to buy it, I thought it was odd it was just a placeholder like the used games, but not a big deal.

Didn't realize that gamestop actually takes the discs out of the packages and catalogs them just like used games. I asked a couple questions, got a short, somewhat snotty answers from the kid working the counter and in the end refused to pay for an opened game. I just went next door to target and actually got a better price anyways.

I'm sure this has come up a few times in other places, but am I the only one who finds it odd they can open the games and then still sell them as new? How can I be absolutely sure the disc they are giving me is actually from a new package unless it's release day and no used games would be in the store yet.... ? I dunno, to me it's strange and somewhat shady, but not that I think they are actually doing anything underhanded, I just find it odd they can do this.

I agree, it is very strange. They do stand behind their games (as far as being able to play) but I don't get it at all. I just don't see any benefit to it. In all honesty I don't understand how a store like this can stay in business when competing with the big box stores and the internet stores. They have no advantage over either of them.

If you reserve your games and pick them up when they are released then the game is not opened. I buy all my games there but always reserve them and get them on the release date

That model worked great when games used to occasionally sell out, but for any significant releases there's no beating the B&M and online sales. I got RDR on release day w/ a $20 gift card from Amazon. It was also available for $45 w/ a $25 Toys R Us GC or something on release day too. Until Gamestop starts offering deals like that I'm not seeing the point of walking in their front door, since their business practice is to get every cent from every consumer, via asking 20 times if you want to sub to a membership, selling used games for $5 off retail, and keeping accessories at or near MSRP until near obsolescence.

I think the last game I bought there new was Madden 10, since I could pick it up at midnight.

The deals are definitely out there, but each retailer (Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, Blockbuster, Gamefly, Walmart, goHastings, etc.) seems increasingly to be trying to make it more worth your while to be a repeat customer through things membership perks, used game trade ins, and gift cards/credits toward future game purchases. I'm currently stuck in the Amazon "loop," and get my best deals through their pre-order bonuses, trading in games, and using their rewards credit card.

If you buy games regularly, the best way is to stick primarily with the same retailer, unless you find an excellent deal elsewhere. For occaisional game buying, I would check Walmart and Amazon first as they currently seem to be matching each other.

I should look into getting an Amazon CC, with how many purchases we make, at least I have my Chase rewards on those purchases for now. Amazon Prime is a steal if you make enough purchases to warrant it.

Walmart just launched 'gamecenter' and it's loaded with online deals for all their preorders and some existing titles - http://see.walmart.com/gamecenter

I do not buy video games much and I think it's been a year since I stopped in a gamestop, but did this weekend and was going to buy a new 360 game. When I went to to buy it, I thought it was odd it was just a placeholder like the used games, but not a big deal.

Didn't realize that gamestop actually takes the discs out of the packages and catalogs them just like used games. I asked a couple questions, got a short, somewhat snotty answers from the kid working the counter and in the end refused to pay for an opened game. I just went next door to target and actually got a better price anyways.

I'm sure this has come up a few times in other places, but am I the only one who finds it odd they can open the games and then still sell them as new? How can I be absolutely sure the disc they are giving me is actually from a new package unless it's release day and no used games would be in the store yet.... ? I dunno, to me it's strange and somewhat shady, but not that I think they are actually doing anything underhanded, I just find it odd they can do this.

The reason is purely loss prevention, plain and simple. Nothing shady about it.

Except that employees are allowed to check out the games and take them home to play, then when they're returned they're still sold as new.

DailyTech - Report: GameStop Selling Used Games as New

If it's just loss prevention, just do what Toys R Us used to do, have cases on the wall, when a customer wants a game, they pull a ticket and then the shrinkwrapped game can be gotten from under the case or back room.

The only reason I ever buy new from GameStop, is if I can't find it at Walmart or Target.

Not to be an apologist for them, because I think it's a very shady practice... but from a retailer stand point, I understand why they do it. It's partially about loss prevention, but I think it's also about retail space and the economics of being a mall store. If they kept everything sealed in a glass case on the sales floor (or behind the counter) their cramped little stores would be even more unshoppable than they are now. If everything was kept in back room; they would HAVE to keep two people on staff at all times; otherwise the sales floor would be unattended (an even bigger shirk risk). There has to be a better middle ground, but this design seems to be work for them. I doubt they will invest in trying to fix what they view isn't broken.

I rarely shop gamestop, not worth the hassle... either Best Buy, Target or NewEgg for me.

That's a matter of opinion. Shady to me since I have no way to know where the disc they are saying is new hasn't been used somewhere. Matter of what one is comfortable with I guess. Me, if I pay new, I want to be the one to open it. What if they did this with the consoles? or Handhelds? Just gave you a big old box with everything in it, not the original packaging? Would you consider that acceptable?

Except that employees are allowed to check out the games and take them home to play, then when they're returned they're still sold as new.

If it's just loss prevention, just do what Toys R Us used to do, have cases on the wall, when a customer wants a game, they pull a ticket and then the shrinkwrapped game can be gotten from under the case or back room.

The only reason I ever buy new from GameStop, is if I can't find it at Walmart or Target.

Thanks for the link, I didn't think I was the only one who would have a problem with their practice.

I don't buy often and rarely from non big box stores, I just happened to be near the gamestop and figured what the hey. Not again however, I just can't get past the trust issue, especially with the group working the day I was in the gamestop near me. Just didn't instill good feelings about the way the inventory was handled.

Not to be an apologist for them, because I think it's a very shady practice... but from a retailer stand point, I understand why they do it. It's partially about loss prevention, but I think it's also about retail space and the economics of being a mall store. If they kept everything sealed in a glass case on the sales floor (or behind the counter) their cramped little stores would be even more unshoppable than they are now. If everything was kept in back room; they would HAVE to keep two people on staff at all times; otherwise the sales floor would be unattended (an even bigger shirk risk). There has to be a better middle ground, but this design seems to be work for them. I doubt they will invest in trying to fix what they view isn't broken.

I rarely shop gamestop, not worth the hassle... either Best Buy, Target or NewEgg for me.

They must not get enough flak to force them to change their practices, but the now defunct GameCrazy near me operated in a really small space with used game cases and rentals on the floor for customers to browse (discs were pulled out from behind counter at time of purchase/rental), and new games in shrink wrapped cases were displayed behind counter. One employee whenever I stopped in.

Last time I went into a Gamestop was the *last time for me. Went to buy a new game and the clerk handed me an open game. No thanks. I basically told them I'm not paying $60 for an unsealed game.
Amazon or Ebay for me since then. I picked up Blur today on ebay. Brand new for $47. Free shipping. Can't beat that at a B&M.

I did not know that. THAT IS pretty bad, but you can look at a disc and see if it has any marks on it. If it does, ask for a different one. Some of you guys are a little, shall we say, "particular", aren't you? This isn't a bottle of wine with the cork stuck back in.

I did not know that. THAT IS pretty bad, but you can look at a disc and see if it has any marks on it. If it does, ask for a different one. Some of you guys are a little, shall we say, "particular", aren't you? This isn't a bottle of wine with the cork stuck back in.

I also think at some point too it was a matter of "Hey, why is my serial already in use?" ;) Just about every non-platform these days requires a serial to install, so unless they are hacking it, they must be getting a key from somewhere. I also stopped buying from them in store once I saw what they were doing. However like other's have noted, I'd go there, walk to another store like Target and find it cheaper.

-Mike

Most of my new games have been from Gamefly. It's great because you can get a game basically brand new (have an open queue spot for release day and they'll send it out) and then you can choose to keep it at a nice discount. The downside is that you need to be a member for a year to get the most discounts, but in my opinion the service is worth it just for the rentals alone. I got essentially a brand new copy (I was the only one that used it) of Mass Effect 2 for $42, 2 1/2 weeks after it was released, AND I got the Cerberus Network code, something I'd need to pay $15 for if I had purchased it used from GS. Also, I have Alan Wake and Trauma Team out, and I could buy them for $43 and $30 respectively through them.

This bugs me too. As far as I'm concerned the game if opened is used. If I sell something that I've opened but never used I still have to sell it at a used price for it to be able to sell. I said I was never going to go to Gamestop again for a new game after buying one about a year ago and them doing this. However, the next game I bought I wanted and everywhere else was sold out. I bought that from them too however, I haven't bought anything since and don't plan to unless I get a good deal on a used game. As said you can usually get it much cheaper online somewhere used or new at Walmart or Amazon.

I can't believe more people don't fuss about this. If the game is opened it's used no matter if it's played or not. They should not be able to claim it's new nor charge a new price for it.

I haven't bought anything new from them with the exception of titles on launch day. If I ever got a game from them and they did this, I would ask them if the 7 day return policy is in effect because with used games you can return them within 7 days with receipt, new games you can't unless it's unopened with receipt. I think they put a big clear plastic round sticker on the side opening of those opened new games because I've bought used games with this sticker on the box and it is a bi*** to get off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts