Gangs of NY on StarzHD

barth2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Just saw Gangs of NY on StarzHD. It was one of the best HD film transfer I've ever seen. And OAR too. See, StarzHD, you can do it. You just have to try to do more like this! :D

If you look at the Starz web site, Gangs of NY is not listed as a HD movie. I think it is only an upconvert. It doesn't look bad but it's not truly HD either. At least that's my take, if someone else knows better maybe they can enlighten me.

Dave

Every occasion I've tuned in to Gangs of New York on Starz, it was 4:3 SD. Perhaps they finally got a HD transfer for that film, and haven't updated their online guide?

I don't know if it was HD or upconverted, as I missed it.

It was HD, and 2.35:1. Though the guide didn't say HD.

Of course the guide thinks everything on EncoreHD is HD, but it decidedly is NOT LOL.

barth2k said:
It was HD, and 2.35:1. Though the guide didn't say HD.

Of course the guide thinks everything on EncoreHD is HD, but it decidedly is NOT LOL.

Starz-HD states on their site that is not an HD transfer. The same with the Hulk. I do not know now why they don't come out and explain what is it then. I have asked numerous time what they mean when they show a widescreen movie in OAR but it is not designated as OAR on their website. It just seems strange that some of these movies without "True HD" designation look very good - like the Hulk while others do not -like Chicago. I haven't seen Gangs of NY. But I hope to catch it.

I'm really curious about the Finding Nemo premiere tomorrow night. The guide doesn't show the
icon_truehd.gif
logo and the same goes for Monsters Inc.

These are two great movies that I'd like to see in HD. Why doesn't StarzHD do more actual HD stuff? Are there contracts that tell them they're not allowed to show them in HD? :no I really wood like the inside scoop on this.

shark.jpg
title.jpg

No one else saw strange vertical bars in the picture this weekend?
I watched the gangs of new york this weekend and there were a series of veritcal bars spaced throughout the picture. the picture was OAR and you could see indentations into the top and bottom black bars, and when an actor moved on the screen into one of them there was slight distortion. First time Ive seen this.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I saw those bars in gangs of new york (Iwas like oh crap something is wrong with my tv )but i have not been able to reproduce it on anything else good to see someone else also seen them

traxxs said:
I saw those bars in gangs of new york (Iwas like oh crap something is wrong with my tv )but i have not been able to reproduce it on anything else good to see someone else also seen them
Scared the piss outta me too. I just cant understand how some can tout the PQ of it after that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)