Geez doesn't anyone know PEMDAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I can't believe the idiocy I see on Facebook. So many people are answering with 4! You don't do math from left to right, but with PEMDAS. Morons...

53551241_2655579481170767_3469345681150312448_n.jpg

Reactions: TheKrell
I don't get it. It's 104. No calculator needed. What am I missing? (100-0+4)

I don't get it. It's 104. No calculator needed. What am I missing? (100-0+4)

Most people on Facebook are answering the question by doing it from left to right. But if one knows PEMDAS, you know it’s 104. What a bunch of morons!

Well Facebook is the #1 place on the interwebz to go if you want to see idiocy. Took me a few seconds to figure out what a PEMDAS is. In middle school/high school we just called it 'order of operations' using the mnemonic 'Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally'. I hate math, I suck at math, don't understand any of the theorems we were forced to lean, forgot what a quadratic equation is, would rather slit my writs then think about what Sine, Cosine and Tangent even begin to me but Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally is one thing I'll never forget.

We called it "operator precedence". Those with calculators that used Reverse Polish Notation (stack based) always won those contests.

The only mnemonics I remember in Math are Chief SOH-CAT-TOA (trig) and the FOIL method (multiplying binomials).

I knew the answer to the equation but never heard of PEMDAS. In school math wasn't hard. It just wasn't interesting the way it was taught. ;)

I must be a retard cause I came up with 79
and that is the correct answer. Why? Because the parens aren't there for Pemdas to apply, that's why. Without parens the mathematical calculation is linear. :rolleyes:

50+50-25x0+2+2=79

50+50(-25x0)+2+2=104

50+50(-25:mad:0+2+2))=0 Hah!

Because the parens aren't there for Pemdas to apply, that's why.
This is a false statement. PEMDAS applies whether or not parens are present.

The syntax does not require any particular operator {parens, exponentiation, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction}* to be present in the expression in order for PEMDAS to apply.

In this equation, PEMDAS dictates that you first evaluate the 25x0 expression and then move on to the additions and finally, the subtractions.

50+50-25x0+2+2 = 50+50-0+2+2 [multiplication] = 104-0 [addition] = 104 [subtraction]

* true Math weenies will recognize that I used set syntax to represent the operations

What does the "P" stand for? Yep, parenthesis is the first requirement. If you don't have them it does not apply. Go back and look at the examples. Where you put the parens affects the result so without them you have no option other than a linear calculation. Don't ever try applying that Pembas nonsense in any engineering calculations unless you include the parens.

Simple math for the mathmatically challenged. You get 50 bucks then you get 50 more. Now you have $100. You spend $25 so now you have $75. You invest it but make no interest (x0) so you still have your original $75. Now add $2 and then add another $2. Now you have $79. That's the real world.

Here, read what Harvard has to say about the ambiquity of Pemdas:

Ambiguous PEMDAS

If it's ambiquous it has no place in math. Math is an exact science, not an art. If you really want to get confused read about Bodmas {Brackets, Order, Division/Multiplication, Addition/Subtraction}.

I here I thought statisticians were artists ;) Hence numbers can be used to paint any picture you want. Gives new meaning to "paint by numbers" LOL

What does the "P" stand for? Yep, parenthesis is the first requirement.
PEMDAS DOES NOT REQUIRE PARENS! It speaks to how to deal with them whether or not they appear in the equation. By your definition, don't the other five operations also have to be present?

If you want to be truly silly with your nonexistent requirement:

equation=(equation)=(equation)¹=1(equation)¹=1(equation)¹/1=1(equation)¹/1+0=1(equation)¹/1+0-0.

Any equation can incorporate the entire set (all six) of the operators by encapsulating it in this nonsense template if you want to be stinky and require them all.

PEMDAS only requires that two or more operations from the set of six are involved, not that parens be involved. PEMDAS doesn't need to be used in the "degenerate case" (where there is only a single operator), but you can still apply it if you feel the need and you'll still get the same answer.

BODMAS is an alternative nomenclature for PEMDAS that is confusing because it uses "brackets" to describe parens and "orders" as a substitute for exponentiation. In the US we typically don't use these terms in this way.

Why this is all so critically important to understand stems from some popular tools that don't appear to behave according to the rules. Perhaps the most pervasive example of this insanity is Microsoft Excel that adds the confusion of a unary minus (negation) that takes precedence over exponentiation. In Excel, -10² = 100. PEMDAS dictates that -10²=-100.

Reactions: edisonprime
What does the "P" stand for? Yep, parenthesis is the first requirement. If you don't have them it does not apply. Go back and look at the examples. Where you put the parens affects the result so without them you have no option other than a linear calculation. Don't ever try applying that Pembas nonsense in any engineering calculations unless you include the parens.

Simple math for the mathmatically challenged. You get 50 bucks then you get 50 more. Now you have $100. You spend $25 so now you have $75. You invest it but make no interest (x0) so you still have your original $75. Now add $2 and then add another $2. Now you have $79. That's the real world.

Ambiguous PEMDAS

If it's ambiquous it has no place in math. Math is an exact science, not an art. If you really want to get confused read about Bodmas {Brackets, Order, Division/Multiplication, Addition/Subtraction}.

Um, anything multiplication or division doesn’t require parentheses to do first (unless there is a parentheses or exponent part of the equation then that goes prior). A good example of what parentheses would be used for would be to put an addition or subtraction part of the equation prior to multiplication or division (when in problems without parentheses it doesn’t go that way).

No parenthesis needed is how I was taught and have always used

Ambiguous PEMDAS

You don't still have $75 left.....
"You spend $25 so now you have $75. You invest it but make no interest (x0) so you still have your original $75" That is not correct. If you go that route, you have $75 after losing the $25. The next process is X 0. 75X0 is 0 not 75. 75X1 is 75. In your example the answer would be 4 because all that is left are the 2 plus the 2.

Another way to look at it doing it the way you say, everything before the X0 has no value. You could have a million but once you get to the x0 you have nothing.

BODMAS is an alternative nomenclature for PEMDAS that is confusing because it uses "brackets" to describe parens and "orders" as a substitute for exponentiation. In the US we typically don't use these terms in this way.

My daughter who is now in 9th grade was taught GEMDAS, so nowadays you don't use PEMDAS or BEMDAS or BODMAS. G is for grouping.

My daughter who is now in 9th grade was taught GEMDAS, so nowadays you don't use PEMDAS or BEMDAS or BODMAS. G is for grouping.
Now that "New Math" (a variant on "rods" that were used when I was young) is out the window, the book publishers needed some device to sell new books. Foolishness.

If it's ambiquous it has no place in math. Math is an exact science, not an art.
There's no ambiguity. The fifth grade teacher is wrong and the reason the teacher is wrong is that they took short cuts in expressing the multiplications in the algebraic expression. In this case the 2x and 3y are representations of (2*x) and (3*y). Assigning a higher precedence to multiplication versus division (M comes before D) can help with this.

Dragging how certain software handles expressions doesn't change how the expressions should be evaluated, just how the software itself should be looked at (as I mentioned above in my Excel example).

Another example of blog clickbate.

There's no ambiguity. The fifth grade teacher is wrong and the reason the teacher is wrong is that they took short cuts in expressing the multiplications in the algebraic expression. In this case the 2x and 3y are representations of (2*x) and (3*y). Assigning a higher precedence to multiplication versus division (M comes before D) can help with this.

Dragging how certain software handles expressions doesn't change how the expressions should be evaluated, just how the software itself should be looked at (as I mentioned above in my Excel example).

Another example of blog clickbate.

Multiplication and division have EQUAL IMPORTANCE in PEMDAS. It goes Parentheses, then Exponents, then Multiplication and Division from left to right, then Addition and Subtraction from left to right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)