Genie Mini, Installation Required by Directtv?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SDUGAN99

Original poster
Mar 23, 2015
Elkridge, MD
Called directv to order a Genie Mini to add a 4th receiver to my setup. They insisted on charging me to have someone install it. Told me that there was not an option to send to me without a professional installer coming out.

Does this make sense?

Is there any reason I couldn't install it myself?

Being a wireless Genie mini owner myself (assuming this is what you're specifically talking about), while technically the WVB (Wireless Video Bridge) is a relatively easy setup to perform (assuming that you're OK with dabbling with your Internet router and changing settings without totally bricking the device :) ), yes, DirecTV requires a truck roll to make the setup happen.

One aspect of the setup is the power supply that goes with the WVB. In generally researching this device, I noticed that the supply brick actually outputs power onto the coaxial cable. If this power is injected into the network in the wrong way, you'll essentially ruin a good portion of your setup (potentially including the Genie DVR itself).

As a practical matter, wireless Genie minis are very good and very cool devices. It'll have been a year this May since we upgraded, and we have no regrets at this point.

Being a wireless Genie mini owner myself (assuming this is what you're specifically talking about), while technically the WVB (Wireless Video Bridge) is a relatively easy setup to perform (assuming that you're OK with dabbling with your Internet router and changing settings without totally bricking the device :) ), yes, DirecTV requires a truck roll to make the setup happen.

One aspect of the setup is the power supply that goes with the WVB. In generally researching this device, I noticed that the supply brick actually outputs power onto the coaxial cable. If this power is injected into the network in the wrong way, you'll essentially ruin a good portion of your setup (potentially including the Genie DVR itself).

As a practical matter, wireless Genie minis are very good and very cool devices. It'll have been a year this May since we upgraded, and we have no regrets at this point.
Thanks for the reply, I was actually not looking at a wireless mini, since I have Coaxial and power at the location of the TV.

Thanks for the reply, I was actually not looking at a wireless mini, since I have Coaxial and power at the location of the TV.

I was coming on this forum to ask about this. They are only $35 on Amazon so I got one there. It's for my roommate's TV. That TV is currently only OTA. The coax that runs from my antenna splitter to that TV is the same exact piece of coax that Directv used in my installation in NC between my old HR34 and client. I was going to ask how to do it the correct way so I will piggyback/troll your thread instead of starting a new one for basically the same thing. :)

I was coming on this forum to ask about this. They are only $35 on Amazon so I got one there. It's for my roommate's TV. That TV is currently only OTA. The coax that runs from my antenna splitter to that TV is the same exact piece of coax that Directv used in my installation in NC between my old HR34 and client. I was going to ask how to do it the correct way so I will piggyback/troll your thread instead of starting a new one for basically the same thing. :)
remember when you activate this it will be activated as leased and will extend your contract....

Called directv to order a Genie Mini to add a 4th receiver to my setup. They insisted on charging me to have someone install it. Told me that there was not an option to send to me without a professional installer coming out.

Does this make sense?

Is there any reason I couldn't install it myself?

You can install yourself if you buy from a retailer like Solid Signal or someone on Amazon. Do NOT buy used as 99% chance they were unreturned leased equipment that cannot be activated.

A C31 will match your HR34 with remote / config type. If you have an HR44 I'd get the C41, as the remote will match the new style.

You likely will have no luck getting DirecTV to drop ship a client for self install. If they want to do it for free, let them, otherwise they are cheap (under $50) to purchase elsewhere.

Also keep in mind, new 2 year commitment once you activate it - even a client - even if purchased elsewhere. And it is leased, must return after cancellation of account.

That would work fine. You say "antenna splitter", by antenna do you mean the satellite dish? Essentially just plug the coax to the client into the splitter that the Genie is on and you will be fine. Call to activate then complete the client setup process pairing it to the Genie. Recommend a C31 to match the remote config of your HR34. The C41 uses the new remote that the HR44 uses.

Also remember new two year commitment.

That would work fine. You say "antenna splitter", by antenna do you mean the satellite dish? Essentially just plug the coax to the client into the splitter that the Genie is on and you will be fine. Call to activate then complete the client setup process pairing it to the Genie. Recommend a C31 to match the remote config of your HR34. The C41 uses the new remote that the HR44 uses.

Also remember new two year commitment.

No, I literally meant the antenna that feeds OTA, which is all the 3rd TV currently has. The coax I have from my antenna splitter to the 3rd TV is the same coax Directv used to connect my old HR34 to its client when I lived in NC. Now, I have only a HR44. It appears that it is directly coming from the satellite dish outside. Does that sound reasonable? With the HR34, it had other things connected to it, but the installer said he didn't need it. If it's connected directly to the dish, would a regular old splitter work before the HR44 and then feed the HR44 and the client from that?

No, I literally meant the antenna that feeds OTA, which is all the 3rd TV currently has. The coax I have from my antenna splitter to the 3rd TV is the same coax Directv used to connect my old HR34 to its client when I lived in NC. Now, I have only a HR44. It appears that it is directly coming from the satellite dish outside. Does that sound reasonable? With the HR34, it had other things connected to it, but the installer said he didn't need it. If it's connected directly to the dish, would a regular old splitter work before the HR44 and then feed the HR44 and the client from that?
you will need a directv approved splitter, mainly so it can pass power to the lnb, they are fairly cheap on amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B00BW60R68Amazon product ASIN B003H2HNQW

So activating a Mini is a new 2 year commitment?? What if you add a regular receiver vs mini? Is I am going to have a new 24 month commitment I am going to get more then a $99 mini.

So activating a Mini is a new 2 year commitment?? What if you add a regular receiver vs mini? Is I am going to have a new 24 month commitment I am going to get more then a $99 mini.
yes, unless you find an owned mini, which can really only be had from a former employee.

That whole contract thing on just a mini bothers me. There's no tuners in the thing. If you get a genie hr44, then yes I can understand that restarting the contract since the thing is basically a computer and it subsidies the cost. But with all the heavy lifting and tuners in the hr34/44, the mini is nothing more than like a roku box, with only one function - rvu client. The whole $6 a month fee and then a contract on top of it, what a pain. If you activated an RVU client in a Samsung TV, that wouldn't cause a contract restart would it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)