Original poster
Brian, or anyone has use this with an sg2100 motor. My question is will the
mount hold the motor without any movement. Or should a steel pipe be used
instead.

Attachments

• PostTripod.jpg
    PostTripod.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 96
I have used this mast / support legs with a motor and 90cm for the past four years. Plenty stable when the base and tripod legs are securely mounted to rafters, studs, etc.

Thanks for answer Brian, still not sure if I will use a pipe, I do not want to flush mount to roof, as it is new
and not sure where the rafters come out. Also, this is a Mobile home, and the plywood under shingles is very
thin, and lag screw will not work. Tried it before I installed the new roof. If I use the pipe would a fence pipe
be sufficient? My neighbor is a welder and says he can make me a customize steel plate, where I can attach
the mast, but not sure where I would be able to secure the tripod legs.

2" or 2 1/2" pipe works very well for motor mounting. Galvanized fence posts can be used, but thick wall pipe will better withstand the crishing pressure of the motor clamps.

Had you given any thought to using a non penetrating roof mount? NPRM units would spread the weight and wind load forces over a large footprint. The are several styles including flat roof and over the peak.

Definately do not use a mast and tripod support legs without structural support. Even if the sheeting were heavy, it is not a good idea to only lag into sheeting. Lag bolts quickly work loose in sheeting.

Thanks Brian, the more I think about it, I am leaning towards pipe. If I do, will do like u suggested
schedule 40, is very stable, that is what I used in BUD installations. Once I get it going will take pics
and display them here. PM me for price for the 1.2 meter, no box, will pick up at your location.
A friend is bringing his Sky Mexico receiver with him, but leaving the dish behind.

I am now using DirecTV Slimline J-poles and struts for my motorized dishes. Best, most sturdy mount I've ever used! Best of all, they are VERY easy to level.

Attachments

• 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    651.1 KB · Views: 116
Brian, the non penetrating mount, was rejected by management here, for Cosmetic reasons, at least the one that
is put on the top pitch of roof. I was looking at the one Tron posted, for flat, unfortunately my carport is
made of aluminum, and probably not support the weight.

Is there any reason you couldn't use a 10' section of real pipe?
Wouldn't have to make much of a hole for it
Should be a quick job for a post hole digger.
Two feet deep should be sufficient, as long as you put a big anti-spin cross-post down there.
Then, attach the upper end to near the top of the mobile home for stability.
Pole should extend two or three feet above the (flat?) roof, to allow clearance for the dish/motor.
Would be easy, reliable, cheap, cosmetically okay (no worse than a TV antenna mast).

Tron, did you have that flat roof mount made? Just curious to see if that could lay right on top of aluminum carport that is used for mobile homes.

The base and mounting pole/struts were purchased from separate sellers on E-Bay. The base is a rather common NPRM base used by Dish and DirecTV installers for Superdishes and Slimlines. The J-pole and struts come from a Slimline package. The only requirement is four 4 x 8 x 16 solid blocks. If the carport can support that weight, you should be okay.

Is there any reason you couldn't use a 10' section of real pipe?
Wouldn't have to make much of a hole for it
Should be a quick job for a post hole digger.
Two feet deep should be sufficient, as long as you put a big anti-spin cross-post down there.
Then, attach the upper end to near the top of the mobile home for stability.
Pole should extend two or three feet above the (flat?) roof, to allow clearance for the dish/motor.
Would be easy, reliable, cheap, cosmetically okay (no worse than a TV antenna mast).

Yes, your solution would also be great, no holes in roof. I just figured out that a non penetrating mount on top of the
carport which the roof is aluminum would probably not work, too much weight. You are correct 2ft with concrete, then
pipe could lean up next to facial board. I also like Brian and Trons idea the non penetration mount, problem is where
to put it. With so many restrictions here, I was planning on placing dish front part of house, management said no,
it has to be back area of house.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)