GEOSATpro DVR1100c loses time

mande

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
WI USA
:confused: We have been using a GEOSATpro DVR1100c with the attachment of an optional external USB 2.0 drive for two weeks. I have set the dvr for recording; however, the clock keeps losing time so it doesn't go on at the right time. I have set the clock to automatically set and also manually set it. I have manually updated it three times but it keeps losing time. Thanks
mande

When the receiver is in the Manual Time mode, it is referencing your electricity for the timing reference. The time will not remain correct if there are any variations with your electrical power and most receivers will drift off time quickly. We recommend that you only use the Automatic Time Setting mode.

Make sure that you have the latest firmware installed by performing an OTA "Update Now" in the menus then activate the receiver using the standard default Automatic Time Set mode. The time will then be referenced from the satellite signal.

Occasionally the time on the satellite will be off by several minutes and the satellite uplinker is notified to correct the encoder time setting. We are currently implementing new firmware update to reference another transponder that provides accurate time reference. During the next month until this change is made we suggest that you set your timer to start early by two minutes to make sure that the beginning of the program is recorded.

Thanks
I noticed that it stayed about 2-3 min behind but then one day it was almost 5 min so I returned it to the factory default and turned it off by the switch on the back and on again and it was back to 2-3 behind. I now make sure and turn it off at least once a day and did as you said-set all my timers to start 3 min early so I get the start of the programs.
Thanks again
Mande

If the unit is set to Automatic Time mode, the time is locked to the satellite. No need to turn the Master Power Switch OFF daily.

We are in final testing for updating on a new transponder that has EXACT time. The receiver update should be pushed within the month.

How often will the time be updated on the receiver by the new transponder? Sorry if this is a dumb question but the matter of the receiver losing time has been an issue with me for some time. I compensate by setting the time every couple of days, then setting the recording session to start five minutes early and go five minutes after program completion. Since I pull these files into the computer and edit them anyway, it takes very little time to chop off the extra on the front and back end of the file before burning to DVD.

I really enjoy my 1100c and dish setup... the dish construction is excellent in my opinion and easy to adjust for signal strength. I especially like the way the dish mounts to the vertical pipe with a cross bolt to keep the dish from sliding down when loosened. It makes it very easy for one person with a meter to fine tune the signal.

hutch401 said:
the matter of the receiver losing time has been an issue with me for some time.

The transponder time is correct on both transponders.

Corrective measures are to return the receiver to the default Glorystar settings:

• Make sure the OTA Automatic Update is set to ON
  • Perform an OTA "Update Now" to be sure your receiver has the latest firmware
  • Make sure the Time Setting is in the default Automatic Time Setting mode. The time will drift if you are setting the time in the manual mode.
  • Any time that you wish to force the receiver to resync the time setting via the satellite (if in the Automatic Time Setting mode), place the receiver on channel 1,2,3,4,5 for 10 - 15 seconds.

Last edited:
The transponder time is correct on both transponders.

Corrective measures are to return the receiver to the default Glorystar settings:

• Make sure the OTA Automatic Update is set to ON
  • Perform an OTA "Update Now" to be sure your receiver has the latest firmware
  • Make sure the Time Setting is in the default Automatic Time Setting mode. The time will drift if you are setting the time in the manual mode.
  • Any time that you wish to force the receiver to resync the time setting via the satellite (if in the Automatic Time Setting mode), place the receiver on channel 1,2,3,4,5 for 10 - 15 seconds.

Quick question for clarification... IF THE RECEIVER stays on 101 for example, does the auto time setting still work correctly? Since I am on the road and trying to repoint the dish every few days - and I am using an inverter without solar charger so I can not leave the receiver on anyway - this will not matter to me until I get back to my solar panels and big battery bank, but the information will be needed then for sure.
Remind me not to EVER try using the ladder for mounting the dish again!
POP

Been a while since I checked in... sorry. Followed your instructions to the letter and you're correct. The time will be forced to a change in the bottom five channels. Only one problem. Your transponder is off by a couple of minutes. I deliberately set the clock about 10 minutes slow manually, switched to auto, and waited. Within 10 seconds the time changed to a time two minutes slower than actual time. Yep, I'm sure my clock is accurate... radio controlled and in sync with two other radio controlled clocks in the house.

For me, two minutes slow is a minor problem. But for some older folks that I'm recommending your system to, it can be a pain because they're technologically challenged and it would be nice if the clock just worked. Plus, their clocks are not as accurate as mine and will always be unsure about how much lead time to give the recorder to start recording. Do you understand my problem? For me, minor; for them, major.

Not trying to be a nit picker... just want to be able to recommend your system to folks with a confidence level of 100% that they will be VERY unlikely to have problems outside of ones caused by operator error. I'm not yanking your chain... here's the link to a page on my blog site where I recommend your system whole heartedly except for the time problem: Family TV | Life in the Missouri Ozarks.

Thanks for your patience and help in this matter...

Thank you for the update on your system and your promotion of GloryStar!

As most FTA equipment owners understand, the time management on these channels are terrible at best and some channels transmit time that is often hours, days and even years off!

We attempt to correct this challenge in the GEOSATpro receivers by controlling the time setting only by the time transmitted by the channel in the number one position. We have been challenged in our efforts by an uplinker's encoder not being able to be synced to GMT. While the time is usually close to being correct, it can be challenge if the uplink engineer allows the time to drift. They have been very responsive to our regular requests to manually resync the time on their uplink equipment. Your notice of the current two minute offset has prompted monthly reminder email to the head engineer at the uplink service and you should notice it being corrected in the next few days.

For the past 6 months we have been transitioning updates to a new transponder which provides accurate time reference locked to GMT. This process is nearing completion and all receivers will be updating from the new transponder by the end of April.

Your time wish will soon be answered...... :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts