Get a deal on DVR?

Mike_H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Twin Cities, MN
What do you think my chances are of getting a good deal on a DVR? I have a 501, and wanted a 522. But I'm tired of waiting. I've got a 2800 that I could exhange for a 510. But I want it cheap.

So what are the chances of a deal, say $50, or no more than $99 for a 510 if I agree to a commitment on the America Everything Pack for 12 months?

I was a AEP subscriber for two years, dropped to AT100 for the winter but as the kids are getting older, tastes are diverging and we need to be able to record more than one show for any given hour.

Should I give it a shot?

I believe the promo is still on for:
1 year commitment, plus $99 you get a 510 (monthly $5 DVR fee w/o AEP Pack)
2 year commitment, you get a FREE 510 (monthly $5 DVR fee w/o AEP Pack) (only qualified customers can receive this offer, I believe it's that you have to have been a customer for 2+ years.)

The 2 year commitment ended Feb.1st. you can only do the $99.00 upgrade. Only the original selling dealer or DISH Network can offer the customer the discounted upgrade price.

Well I received my 501 via a $99 deal over 2 years ago. And about the original selling dealer, who is it if my initial purchase was Sears? Do they count Sears as a dealer, or does Dish take ownership of my account?

And how many of these deals can you get into? With a 12 month commitment do they just stack them consecutively if you're current in a commitment?

Hmm...I wish the 522 was ready, then it would be a no brainer. At a $99 price and the now existing DVR fee, you have to take a hard look at the competition.

$99 + 12 month commitment + $5/month DVR fee and I end up with a device that has a single tuner and has much less in capability compared to a DirecTivo. It's not an easy sell.

They never gave me the free option with a 2 year commitment and that really ticks me off. They only offered me the $99 deal. Looks like I am going to have to have a talk with Dish about this.

dlsnyder said:
I took the Dish Store DVR508 offer of $245.00 plus free shipping. No DVR fees compared to the 510 means it will pay for itself in about 4 years. :D
If it lasts that long. I thought about going that route or eBaying it...but I sat down and did some math. At $5 a month, it's close to 2 1/2 years to "break even" between the deals. And for that 2 1/2 years, I get the extra recording size. You can go a little cheaper in price with a 501...but you sacrafice recording storage space. I figured in 2 1/2 years, technology will have changed enough that it will be time to upgrade again.

True. In the four years it takes for my 508 to pay for itself they will probably come out with a replacement for the 721 - two tuners with a bigger HD and 8PSK capability. And I will go pick it up in my flying car. ;)

I have the AEP package so I would not be charged the $5 fee anyways. About every couple years a totally new DVR comes out and/or a lot more hard drive space becomes available.

Technology is always advancing and there will always be some cool new toy that everyone has just GOT to have. If you get in on the 510 deal now then hold on to it for two years you have only paid $218.52 for it, figuring in $59.76 per year for DVR fees. I am sure it will still be worth at least that much on Ebay then so you can sell it and use the money to pay for the NEXT cool toy! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)