Get locals from the State you live in

Just put the provision in there that you must buy locals from your DMA before you can buy locals from other cities and everyone will be fine.

It's all about the fricken 5 cents each station is paid anyways.

If your local ABC is getting paid for your subscription they could care less if you want to pay to receive the ABC from the next DMA over.

The only issue would come up with Nielson households, in which any ABC affiliate watched should give credit to the local ABC station as not to affect advertising revenues.

The only thing not considered is how cheap people are that would actually spend another $5 for locals from An adjacent DMA.

When I sold Dish and we had ABC NBC CBS And FOX I could rarely get people to pay $3 to get the CW and UPN affiliate out of New York

Think of all the spot beam satellites they would need to replace. (and honestly there wouldn't be enough bandwidth to put everything on Conus.

If we have to pay for them, then the stations and networks need to be forced to re-air episodes after interruptions for severe weather or other disasters, and not the go watch it on the website crap. KOTV and KQCW were knocked off the air by a lightning strike during a a tornado last night and they would have preempted everything anyway. Now they just say CBS and CW wont let them reair it and go watch it on the websites. KJRH is saying the same BS line for NBC. Only KTUL and ABC are re-airing last nights primetime episodes. If we have to pay for all them, and we are mostly paying for the NETWORK markup and kickback, then they need to air the damn shows. Now I have to "acquire" the missed episodes and put on dvd to take to my 70 yr old mom, that doesn't know and doesn't want to know the first thing about a computer and watching online.

does this mean we can get other DMA stations also like here where i live i get chicago stations and right now i am getting peoria illinois tv stations over the air antenna can i get other tv stations i would like to see this happen so i can get alot of locals in our state i wonder if there will be room on the satellite to do this?

From the article - The proposed rule, passed Thursday in a unanimous vote, would bring satellite local TV carriage rules in line with current carriage rules for cable
Well praise the Lord and pass the taters!

I live less than 20 miles from the broadcast towers of the neighboring DMA across the state line, which I can't receive OTA due to a mountain, and which is considered significantly viewed, and Dish can't sell them to me, BUT, the cableco and Telco BOTH offer those locals. Actually, my Telco offers 3 different DMA's. All I ever wished for was a level playing field for ALL providers, but satellite providers always ended up with the short straw.

I hope significantly viewed channels across state lines doesn't get excluded from "in state" rule.

BTW Claude, I'd gladly pay for the out of market locals.

Last edited:
The dma stations are not always close by either.

At my summer home in Colorado, we get Albuquerque locals on Dish even though Albuquerque is over 250 miles away. It's not only that we get local news that holds no interest for us, but we get State news from New Mexico which has zero value. The worst part is at election time. Even though Denver may be further away, at least news items coming from there hold some interest for us.

Even though folks in the West are accustomed to traveling distances to get anywhere, I can't see Colorado residents driving 200 or 300 miles to shop in Albuquerque. So, I really don't see where there is any commercial value to this setup either.

I could be wrong.

so this will happen eventually am i right about this so i can get locals from the rest of my state and maybe new york,washington dc and los angeles,ca :)

so this will happen eventually am i right about this so i can get locals from the rest of my state and maybe new york,washington dc and los angeles,ca :)
NO!
It is only for areas where they get stations from a neighboring state and not their "local" area. Its mainly these 1 and 2 counties that are in say Illinois but they get Indiana locals.
A great example is Gogebic County, Michigan. They get locals on satellite from Duluth, MN which is 2 states away! Cable gives them Duluth and Marquette, MI locals (except ABC)

Duluth.gif

The dma stations are not always close by either.

At my summer home in Colorado, we get Albuquerque locals on Dish even though Albuquerque is over 250 miles away. It's not only that we get local news that holds no interest for us, but we get State news from New Mexico which has zero value. The worst part is at election time. Even though Denver may be further away, at least news items coming from there hold some interest for us.
Wyoming is the biggest clusterf--k out there

wyoming.gif
http://dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Maps/wyoming.gif

Iceberg, how would that affect me (Jonesboro, AR DMA)?
It wouldn't as you get NBC & ABC from Arkansas. Yes you get CBS & FOX from Memphis since J'Boro lacks one but you get your locals.

This affects those 1 and 2 county areas that dont get ANY of their states coverage (and the locals don't even bother with that area). I posted examples above

How the hell is the Denver locals decided.... That just looks like a soup sandwich.
It goes back to the old Denver 5 days on C-Band and in some of the areas in Wyoming and Nebraska they STILL have Denver locals on cable mainly due to no locals out there. Thats how the cable companies got networks to those towns. C-Band and the Denver 4 (Big 3 + KWGN), then 5 (added Fox) and then 8 (My, PBS and I have no clue what the last one was...maybe a 2nd PBS).
In Western Nebraska (the panhandle) there is only 2 commercial stations. KDUH ABC (which is a satellite of KOTA Rapid City, SD) and KSTF CBS (which is a satellite of KGWN Cheyenne, WY). So the only other option would have been the Denver 5 (now Denver 8) off the satellite.
Looking at areas around there the only Nebraska stations is PBS & ABC.
Scottsbluff proper has a hodge podge of locals. ABC & CBS form "Scottsbluff" (noted above the actual locations). FOX from Cheyenne, WY, My, CW and NBC from Denver
Outside of Scottsbluff proper cable carries Denver except for KDUH ABC and PBS (and in some areas both Denver versions are carried too)

Scott,

I Would never suggest replacing spot beam satellites.

But doing adjacent DMAs that are in the same or nearby spot beam is possible.

It would be a logistical nightmare figuring out who could get what adjacent locals based on geographic location as the spot beam for adjacent DMA might not cover the entire DMA next to it.

You would almost have to make the customers sign a disclaimer if they launch a new satellite with a different spot beam they cannot guarantee locals other than the ones if your Dma

While this would be so nice for us living in Illinois and getting Terre Haute locals, I don't see the Terre Haute locals allowing it. They fought Mediacom and managed to get them to take all the central IL stations off. I would love to get Champaign/Springfield stations

It wouldn't as you get NBC & ABC from Arkansas. Yes you get CBS & FOX from Memphis since J'Boro lacks one but you get your locals.

This affects those 1 and 2 county areas that dont get ANY of their states coverage (and the locals don't even bother with that area). I posted examples above

I wonder how this would affect Lamar County, Ala, which is the county just to the south of me. It is the only county in Alabama that is in the Columbus/Tupelo/West Point, Miss DMA. That DMA has all four networks, however, cable in Lamar County is piped in by Charter from a town (Guin) in Marion County, Ala which is in the Birmingham DMA. On Charter, if you live in Lamar County or are served by Charter in Marion County (the whole county is not) you get ALL locals from both Columbus/Tupelo and Birmingham. This means on cable you get two ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, CW, MY. I wonder how it would work in a situation such as that where the out of state market has all 4 networks and cable in the area provides all stations from both DMAs. I wonder if the DBS provider will be able to provide the full instate DMA as significantly viewed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)