Getting 4K HDR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kovach

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis
My TV has the following inputs, would any be preferable over another to get the full effects of 4K HDR?

• HDMI VersionPort 1 supports: v2.0a; Ports 2-5 supports: v1.4
  • HDCP Versionv2.2
  • HDMI 1 Tech Spec600MHz pixel clock rate:
    2160p@60fps, 4:4:4, 8-bit
    2160p@60fps, 4:2:2, 12-bit
    2160p@60fps, 4:2:0, 12-bit
  • HDMI 2-4 Tech Specs340MHz pixel clock rate:
    2160@60fps 4:2:0 8 bit
  • HDMI 5 Tech Specs370MHz pixel clock rate:
    2160p@60fps, 4:2:2, 8-bit
    2160p@60fps, 4:2:0, 10-bit
    080p@120fps, 4:4:4, 10-bit
    1080p@fps120, 4:2:2, 12-bit
HDMI 1 would seem to be the obvious winner but I have all my video components run through my home theater receiver into HDMI 1, including my DirecTV input. Problem is, my home theater receiver does not support HDR so I need to run this video directly to the TV (and the sound obviously via another method).

I'd like to keep HDMI 1 hooked up in this manner because it's also the only CEC HDMI port on the TV so when I'm say watching Amazon Prime or YouTube it feeds back into the receiver, but I do have other options if I need to rework that.

My TV has the following inputs, would any be preferable over another to get the full effects of 4K HDR?

• HDMI VersionPort 1 supports: v2.0a; Ports 2-5 supports: v1.4
  • HDCP Versionv2.2
  • HDMI 1 Tech Spec600MHz pixel clock rate:
    2160p@60fps, 4:4:4, 8-bit
    2160p@60fps, 4:2:2, 12-bit
    2160p@60fps, 4:2:0, 12-bit
  • HDMI 2-4 Tech Specs340MHz pixel clock rate:
    2160@60fps 4:2:0 8 bit
  • HDMI 5 Tech Specs370MHz pixel clock rate:
    2160p@60fps, 4:2:2, 8-bit
    2160p@60fps, 4:2:0, 10-bit
    080p@120fps, 4:4:4, 10-bit
    1080p@fps120, 4:2:2, 12-bit
HDMI 1 would seem to be the obvious winner but I have all my video components run through my home theater receiver into HDMI 1, including my DirecTV input. Problem is, my home theater receiver does not support HDR so I need to run this video directly to the TV (and the sound obviously via another method).

I'd like to keep HDMI 1 hooked up in this manner because it's also the only CEC HDMI port on the TV so when I'm say watching Amazon Prime or YouTube it feeds back into the receiver, but I do have other options if I need to rework that.

I have the same problem that you have lol You're gonna want to use HDMI 1 as it supports v2.0. When I want to use my 4K box I just move over the HDMI out cable to it. I'm trying to find an affordable HDMI Switch that supports HDR so I won't have to do that anymore.

What kind of TV is it? You might have to also enable an HDR setting in the menu. I had to for my Vizio.

I would suggest since your TV only has 1 2.0 HDMI -upgrade you avr you can get a good one $398-$500 depending on sales -sony denon-onkyo all with 2.2. hdmi ports

My TV is a Vizio M65-D0.

I'm thinking about just running a digital optical cable from my TV into the home theater so that Amazon Prime and such still works, running DTV into HDMI 1, and everything else into one of the other HDMI's. I really don't want to ditch a perfectly good home theater if I don't have to.

My TV is a Vizio M65-D0.

I'm thinking about just running a digital optical cable from my TV into the home theater so that Amazon Prime and such still works, running DTV into HDMI 1, and everything else into one of the other HDMI's. I really don't want to ditch a perfectly good home theater if I don't have to.
That sounds like a logical idea !

Ok that seemed to work.

Surprisingly.

I thought Directv's HDR was HLG and the Vizio M65-D0 was HDR10, which weren't compatible?

Yeah that's what I thought... So am I really getting the full benefits of Directv's HDR?

I did get the green checkmark when checking the compatibility so I guess so.

Maybe my TV also does HLG. It did show up at the top of the screen when I put on a 4K HDR program.

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I thought... So am I really getting the full benefits of Directv's HDR?

Maybe my TV also does HLG. It did show up at the top of the screen when I put on a 4K HDR program.
I think your good to go ...

One format is basically for recorded programs ...
the other is for broadcast (IIRC) which doesn't happen at this point.

If your TV reports that it is receiving HLG then you are getting Directv HLG. My 2017 LG OLED also reports receiving HLG for channels 104 and 106. Directv is not sending HDR10. It is HLG. I believe the 2017 Vizio TVs received an update to support HLG.

My LG switches to a HDR picture mode but there must be some additional internal processing to handle HLG vs HDR10 that is not apparent in the picture mode settings.

Seems the sound cutouts are more prominent this way (or it's coincidental they got worse when I rearranged things).

Also seems to be a slight delay lip sync issue.

Might need to rethink thus...

If your TV reports that it is receiving HLG then you are getting Directv HLG. My 2017 LG OLED also reports receiving HLG for channels 104 and 106. Directv is not sending HDR10. It is HLG. I believe the 2017 Vizio TVs received an update to support HLG.

My LG switches to a HDR picture mode but there must be some additional internal processing to handle HLG vs HDR10 that is not apparent in the picture mode settings.

It won't ever change from HLG to HDR10 for broadcasted HDR. HLG is Hybrid Log Gamma which means the signal is carrying the HDR information as well as the SDR info. It's then up to the TV to decode that information. If your TV can view HDR content then you will see HDR. If it's not it will just be SDR. HDR10 is strictly HDR. If the channels came in HDR10 and your TV isn't compatible with it then you wouldn't be able to view that channel. It's their way of having one channel that is open for both types of viewers.

They're both HDR but it's more like a comparison between a 1080p stream and a 1080p bluray. Both are 1080p but bluray looks a ton better because it has more information and a higher bitrate. HDR10 would cost way too much bandwidth to broadcast. HLG is like a happy median.

The DirecTV HDR check, as of right now, still checks for HDR10, *not* HLG.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)