Getting a Vip612

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
Well been a change in plans ,I was getting a 722 , but E* said they would give me a VIP612 for free. I know it only does one room but , I really only needed 1 other HD hook up. This is my first HD DVR I ever got for no cost From D* or E*. So thats a bonus for me finally. They also are waving the DVR fee for the new receiver for the next 18 months. So for the last 6 months of my new E* contract I think I can afford another $5.98. So now my bill went up $7.42 for now 3 rooms DVR and 2 HD. For a Total of $99.59 including Tax. Still under $100. This is fantastic!:D. My D* H20 is going to be laid to rest,Finally and maybe my D10 as well!

But all this aside ,who has a 612 ,and does it function just like my 622? Still only requires 1 coax? Is it just missing the TV2 option? and can you get extra hard drive space?

The 612 is a dual tuner receiver so unless you are using DPP equipment with a DPP Separator you will need two lines. The only other difference with a 622 is the 612 does not have pip (of course, if you are using the 622 in dual user mode, you don't have access to that feature any way). There may be some other differences but for the most part should be the same. I am pretty sure that the external hard drive is already available ( I am sure someone will chime in if it not).

The 612 is a dual tuner receiver so unless you are using DPP equipment with a DPP Separator you will need two lines. The only other difference with a 622 is the 612 does not have pip (of course, if you are using the 622 in dual user mode, you don't have access to that feature any way). There may be some other differences but for the most part should be the same. I am pretty sure that the external hard drive is already available ( I am sure someone will chime in if it not).
I have the DPP system, My 622 uses 1 line currently.

As a technician, let me just state that the 612 is a POS.

The same statements as made for the 622 when it first came out, and look at it now. I've had mine 15 months and not one single problem so far, just give the 612 time and it will be fine. Look how the complaints have dropped down to just a few a week.

The same statements as made for the 622 when it first came out, and look at it now. I've had mine 15 months and not one single problem so far, just give the 612 time and it will be fine. Look how the complaints have dropped down to just a few a week.

I just don't think they should be making customers into beta testers without telling them. I could see releasing 10,000 units with the option to replace with a 722 if it doesn't work out well enough for them. I've seen too many people stuck with those things because they expected it to work just as reliably as other receiver models.

I just don't think they should be making customers into beta testers without telling them. I could see releasing 10,000 units with the option to replace with a 722 if it doesn't work out well enough for them. I've seen too many people stuck with those things because they expected it to work just as reliably as other receiver models.
OK and again you've listed no examples of any problems with this receiver. My guess is you don't have one.

OK and again you've listed no examples of any problems with this receiver. My guess is you don't have one.
I can verify that the 612 is troublesome.

I have put in four.....three were bad.

Here's hoping it is a software problem and not something like cheap power supplies.

Time will tell.

A great product.....when it works.

I can verify that the 612 is troublesome.

I have put in four.....three were bad.

Here's hoping it is a software problem and not something like cheap power supplies.

Time will tell.

A great product.....when it works.
I guess if they turn out to be a problem ,I'll make them give me a deal on a 622 or 722.

I have had one since they first came out. For the first month or two no one could use HDMI because of several freeze ups a day requiring a soft reset each time. After a software up date it no longer totally freezes up on HDMI but several times a day it will freeze for about fifteen seconds waiting for a channel to lock in. I also have never been able to transfer a recording to a EHD from the 612 also. It will read and play recordings that were transferred on my 622, but when transferring from the 612 the transfer will start, the timer will run down to 0 seconds left and freeze for hours. A reset is the only way to get out of the transfer. Dish Tech keeps blaming it on my EHD (W.D. Mybook 500gig) but I have two and they both work work perfect on my 622. Neither work on the 612 transfers. My opinion of the 612 --- POS!!

No, I don't own one. One good thing about installing satellite is that I get to see all the latest equipment and see what's working and what isn't. From what I have seen, I wouldn't buy one or lease one. If that isn't good enough for you, then just discard my opinion.

I have one and the only problem I have with it is that once in a while, it will hiccup while changing channels and hang for about 10-15 seconds. I think this has something to do between switching tuners when your going from a a show thats recording to a show that's not.

Ok I've been thinking about getting one for the bedroom TV. Currently has a 508PVR but the TV is an HD LCD set. If I use component, and if I am not making use of the EHD.... in other words,,, just hook it up and watch TV and DVR stuff. Is it STILL a POS? I mean... are these things just overall a problem? Do they simply fail?

Well ,Just got my receiver activated about 4 hours ago now. So far so good. It doesn't seem any different then my 622. Changes channels fast, and hasn't froze yet. I hooked it HDMI. So I' guess I'll just wait and see. It also just so happends that a satellite guys member was also my Tech. As a request he asked me not to list his username, But thanks D.J for all your help. P.s. He didn't seem to think the 612 was a POS.

if it still has problems it sounds to me like it would be a software issue. dish is good at getting right usually with the 1st or 2nd updates to a software so i wouldn't worry about it.

if it still has problems it sounds to me like it would be a software issue. dish is good at getting right usually with the 1st or 2nd updates to a software so i wouldn't worry about it.
I think it will be fine. I've put up with D* HR-20 through the roughest times ,I think I can handle E* 612. I haven't heard any remarks that sound any different then my Current H20 From D*. At least the freezing part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)