This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Getting D* sub in Canada w/o US Home adress

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SZ56

Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Richmond, BC
Hi all I am new here! I am interested in supplementing my Canadian satellite TV with some American. Why? Because I want Spike and some other channels in HD that are currently only offered in SD in Canada. I do not have a US home address but I do have a US postage mailing address. If there is someway I can order the service without having to go to the trouble of getting a US credit card or vonage that would also be great. Basically all I want is a basic HD package for between 40-60 bucks. I don't care about the Seattle "locals" as I have access to them on my Shaw Direct but would be interested in getting the New Yorks as I am a fan of the Jets.

Thanks,
SZ56

Hi. You can use your canadian credit card as long it's visa or mastercard. Also you can use you US address as long it's a normal one that includes street number and street name. No P.O. Boxes for physical address of the receiver.

Good luck.

If you already have the gear installed and such just use any address in the US that is physical (preferably inside a spot beam or on conus for local networks) and just switch everything over to paperless. I doubt anyone is going to notice or care. I havent' bothered to change my physical address in two years with them and many people "move" all the time.

If you don't already have the gear the make a trip to the us and pick up a receiver and buy a dish on ebay. Then try the above. So long as a tech doesn't have to go out to the house Directv should never know. If something does happen just tell them you stopped renting there and are not located at ... and repeat.

This is illegal ... This is illegal and you all are dumb enough to do it in a forum where multiple Directv Employees read and answer questions in.

It's not illegal Stone. I can find no US or Canadian law that prohibits a user from buying satellite service from another country. It is a violation of DirecTV's Terms of Service. It is a form of "moving" that many do.

It's not illegal Stone. I can find no US or Canadian law that prohibits a user from buying satellite service from another country. It is a violation of DirecTV's Terms of Service. It is a form of "moving" that many do.

actually the CRTC (Canada's version of the FCC) does say its illegal to subscribe to D* or E*

It is illegal to receive non-Canadian satellite broadcaster signals in Canada.
Canadian Supreme Court ruling 4/26/2002:

So the Canadian Supreme Court names one particular law ("s. 9(1)(c)") and then states that that law prohibits "decryption of encrypted signals emanating from U.S. broadcasters".

This isn't just a "violation of DirecTV's Terms of Service", it is a violation of Canadian law, as decided by the Canadian Supreme Court in 2002.

Section 2:
In Section III(11) of this ruling, they quote the above-mentioned rule "s. 9(1)(c)":
So if you decode a DirecTV or DishNetwork signal in a way "otherwise than under and in accordance with an authorization" (meaning in violation of their Terms of Service), you are violating Canadian law.

DirecTV's Customer Agreement clearly states:
So simply by receiving DirecTV services outside of the United States, you are violating DirecTV's Customer Agreement, and according to the quoted Canadian Supreme Court ruling, the fact that you are receiving DirecTV signals in violation of DirecTV's Customer Agreement means you are violating Canadian law.

The next section in this ruling quotes the punishment for illegal reception of non-Canadian service. Notice that although it starts talking about manufacturers or importers of the equipment, it eventually does get down to "every person who... operates or possesses any equipment or device" (meaning users of non-Canadian satellite equipment) is also guilty and the same punishment applies:
I found this ruling with less than 5 minutes of Google searching. If you "can find no US or Canadian law that prohibits a user from buying satellite service from another country", you didn't try hard.

According the the above-quoted ruling, it is illegal to even import DirecTV equipment into the country, let alone actually subscribe to the service.

Wasn't most of the above passed because of the widespread "problem" some years back?

So the question arises...
is it illegal to sub to Canadian Sat services in the U.S.?
And does Mexico have any laws against subbing to U.S. or Canadian Sat services?

just curious

Canadian sat there is no laws the company just doesnt allow it.

Mexico I have no idea.

Just like I have no idea why this thread has not been moved ot the waste bin and has been unlocked.

P.S. If the OP is such a jets fan it would be cheaper for him to simply just order NFLST for the whopping Shaw direct price of 99 dollars. Next time come back better excuse .

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.