Getting DirecTv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Viper0580

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Northern Kentucky
I am getting DirecTv and I have a installation question. I am getting 5 HD DVR's for the house and I want to know how it will be setup. Does DirecTv setup work like Dish Networks where you need just one cable running from a switch to a splitter to put it back to two cables for a duel tuner receiver or does DirecTv require dual cable running from the switch to the receiver?

You will get a SWM install. Think of it like a cable TV installation with special splitters and power added to the line. You will have one line coming off the dish and one line to each DVR. You could get whole-home DVR and save a bunch of a money on buying all those units.

How many shows cab you record with on the whole-home DVR? Everyone in the house sometimes gets 2 shows recording at the same time on all 5 TV's. So I would need to get 5 DVR's.

The single wire SWiM LNB only supports 8 tuners. The OP is getting 10 tuners, so it'll be 4 wires off the dish to a SWiM 16 splitter, then one wire from the splitter to each DVR.

I really hate when people (and Directv) call it whole-home DVR because it's really not. It doesn't give you DVR features on a non-DVR receiver. It lets you watch things recorded on the DVR from other boxes, so MRV is much more appropriate. Honestly if I had the money I'd buy all HR24's because I would love to have the live pause/rewind on all TV's without having to do the record/play/pause trick. I'm also a time-shift addict, so the more DVR tuners you have, the more flexibility you have to program recordings without tying up what others are watching or hitting conflicts. There's absolutely nothing wrong with going with a DVR at each TV.

How many shows cab you record with on the whole-home DVR? Everyone in the house sometimes gets 2 shows recording at the same time on all 5 TV's. So I would need to get 5 DVR's.

Case in point. The whole home DVR is not a unit, it's a feature that networks your recievers together, which allows you to watch shows recorded on the DVRs from any HD receiver in the house (whether it is a DVR or not). In your case it's not going to help you at all. Stick with the 5 DVR units. With the whole-house DVR activated though, all shows from all of the DVRs will show up in a single list and will be watchable from any of your TV's.

Interesting that Directv is offering free NFL Season Ticket, along with $31.00 off a month for year 1, if you take Choice Ultimate Package. Now the real question....will there be a NFL Season???:confused:

It would make this offer very tempting if there is a season starting on schedule.:rolleyes:

English Packages

I like the footnote on the offer.. " ° To the extent that there is a 2011 NFL season, New customers taking CHOICE ULTIMATE and above will be automatically enrolled in 2011 NFL SUNDAY TICKET and NFL SUNDAY TICKET To-Go at no additional cost." :D

I was thinking about this deal, as I am out of contract with Dish, I read the NFL deal is auto renew for next season, which you would have to pay for it. :confused:

All Sport Subscriptions Automatically renew the next year ....
However, if you call before the start of the next season you can cancel it, thats said, if you AutoRenew you get a better price than the normal rates.

I think some might be worried that if the season was cancelled would they still get the package "free" the following season

my understanding they would, I just do not like the auto renew clause, I am going to wait and see if there is a 2011 season before I move on the deal
As was already said, ALL of the sports packages auto-renew until you cancel them. Sunday Ticket, Extra Innings, Center Ice, Game Plan, etc etc etc. All of them are recurring subscriptions. They always have been, so there's nothing new or unusual about it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts