Getting Dish on Friday - quick question

metty

Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
I'm set to get a 722 w/ sling and a 211 on Friday. Question on what I need to do to prepare for the installation.

The 722 will be on my plasma in the basement. I will also have the back end run to the TV in the downstairs bedroom. The 211 will be upstairs in the living room. I'm purchasing an EHD to add to the 211 so I can turn it into a DVR. My cable modem and linksys wireless router are currently in my upstairs office near the living room. What do I need to do to get the internet down at the 722? Do I also need an internet connection at the 211? Any other advice for best setup?? TIA!

I guess what I'm asking is do I need to run some cat5 cable from my wireless router to where the 722 and 211 will be? Or, how else can I get them hooked up to my network? Will the tech do any of that work or will they just set up the satellite and boxes?

Dish has a pretty good description on what you need to do on their web page. You can run ethernet cable from your 722 to your router or you can get a Netgear wireless adapter that you connect to a usb port or hub on your 722. You can also add an ehd to the 722 at no charge for extra storage.

I guess what I'm asking is do I need to run some cat5 cable from my wireless router to where the 722 and 211 will be? Or, how else can I get them hooked up to my network? Will the tech do any of that work or will they just set up the satellite and boxes?

Only the 722 needs to be on broadband, not the 211. So if you can run cat 5 from the router to the location of the 722, that would be your best bet

I already have an older Linksys wireless B router that I turned into a bridge next to my plasma tv. Can I just patch into the bridge or do I need to bypass it and go directly to the primary router?

I already have an older Linksys wireless B router that I turned into a bridge next to my plasma tv. Can I just patch into the bridge or do I need to bypass it and go directly to the primary router?

Yes, patch into the bridge.

if you are willing, make a wired run back to the router. you will thank yourself for it in the long run. you can then get a switched hub and add the tv to it to get rid of the wireless bridge to that too.

722 or 722k?

the sling adapter works with either, but there have been reports of trouble with wireless bridges and slinging from the 722 and 722k boxes.

...there have been reports of trouble with wireless bridges and slinging from the 722 and 722k boxes.

Some people have issues with wireless bridges, but I have not had any problems at all using an old Linksys WRT54G that was flashed with DD_WRT firmware. I would try the wireless bridge that you already have. It might work without problems.

Some people have issues with wireless bridges, but I have not had any problems at all using an old Linksys WRT54G that was flashed with DD_WRT firmware. I would try the wireless bridge that you already have. It might work without problems.

Had the same experience with a Linksys wrt320n. Choppy performance with original firmware, radical improvement with dd-wrt firmware.

Wired is best. However, the tech will have a sling link which will send internet to each rcvr. It plugs into the WALL (not a surge protector) and then of course into your router.

My brother in law uses a sling link/sling adapter combo all of the time, no issues what so ever.

Frank7004 said:
Wired is best. However, the tech will have a sling link which will send internet to each rcvr. It plugs into the WALL (not a surge protector) and then of course into your router.

My brother in law uses a sling link/sling adapter combo all of the time, no issues what so ever.

I use my sling link/ sling adapter combo and have absolutely no poiblems either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts