Getting Dish on Saturday, should I stick with the 811 or go or the 942?

scott78945

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Right now I have it that I am getting the 811 which I will put in my living room with my 51" Sony HDTV and then getting a 625 for my bedroom and split that to my computer room. I keep going back and forth if I should be taking he plunge and spending the $250 for the 942. I would like a DVR in the living room but I only have 1 HD tv. Is this really worth it for me? Will they let me get a 942 if I only have 1 HD tv? I understand that the 811 has an integrated OTA tuner, so does this mean that I won't need an outside antenna to get local HD OTA's? I only have 1 day left to decide. Thanks all for your help.

The 942 is a dual tuner(runs 2 TV's) but it will only run one HD TV, so only having one will fit the 942 perfect. Get it, you wont be disappointed. Plus $250 for a $699 peice of equipment is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

PS - Hook the 942 into just one TV and get picture in picture, and you can record something and watch something else, or record 2 things and watch something that you have already recorded, all on the same TV.

-B

I've had both and I would have to say go for the 942. There seems to be an increase in PQ and the 942 has a stronger OTA tuner. Both receivers have integreted OTA tuner which you will have to get an OTA antenna if you want to receive digital, possibly HD locals. You can still get the locals of the satellite if you don't want to mess with OTA :)

The 942 is an HD DVR, meaning it can record HD broadcasts in HD. However, most of the worthwhile HD programming worth recording is on your OTA channels (e.g., Lost, Desperate Housewives, CSI, CIS Miami, House, etc), so if you don't plan to get an antenna and receive your OTA HDs, it really won't be worth it. Especially since you already have a Dish DVR. If you are ready to pursue OTA HD, then definitely get the 942.

go the 942, I am very sad that I couldnt as I cant afford it, but if you can afford it, I would get it, as I switched from cable and I am very very sad I dont have a HDDVR, that would make my life complete!

ditto!
*HPTS*Dish said:
The 942 is a dual tuner(runs 2 TV's) but it will only run one HD TV, so only having one will fit the 942 perfect. Get it, you wont be disappointed. Plus $250 for a $699 peice of equipment is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

PS - Hook the 942 into just one TV and get picture in picture, and you can record something and watch something else, or record 2 things and watch something that you have already recorded, all on the same TV.

-B

Ok, I just want to make sure I got this straight. I understand that it is a HD DVR as this is what I currently have through Time Warner but we don't get many HD channels which is why I am moving to Dish. So basically, the 942 has the tuner in it but I still need to hook up the antenna to it. Is this connect via coaxial directly to the box or to the dish? Ok, this is what I have now. I just bought the $90 HDTV receiver from RS when it was on clearance. I was going to go out this weekend to get an antenna and hook it up to it. That way I have the 811 HD box with the OTA HD through my antenna. The benefit of the 942 would be that I can DVR the shows from HD OTA and the fact that I can DVR one show while watching another. Hmmm, decisions decisions...

I would much rather have the 942, but the $250 deal wasn't available to me and they offered me an 811 for $25. So I went with it and am waiting to see what Dish announces for mpeg-4 plans. I hope to be using a new mpeg-4 DVR next year.

Yes you just connect the Antenna via a coax connection on the back of the 942. Also if you go with the 942 and I would. You won't be able to do your install this saturday. You will have to wait for Dish to send it to you. Can take up to 10 days, so your install would be pushed back untill then.

Oh, if thats the case then thats ok. I can wait. My local retailer is coming to install it themselves, not Dish Network. They selling only Dish Network and do all the service calls and installs themselves. My house has aluminum siding and unfortunately an indoor antenna is not working as the signals are bouncing off the house so an outdoor antenna is how I have to do which isn't a problem. I guess I have some thinking to do. Is is a problem down the road if I try to upgrade my 811 to the new MPEG 4 DVR's? I don't even know what these are but everyone keeps talking about them. I just want to do what I need to do now to make things easier down the road. Should I just get the 811 and wait to upgrade to the new DVR's next year? I just don't want to spend the $250 and then get screwed next year again...One other thing. Am I correct in saying that if I get the 942 the DVR service is included? Thats what it states on the product description directly from Dish.

scott78945 said:
Ok, I just want to make sure I got this straight. I understand that it is a HD DVR as this is what I currently have through Time Warner but we don't get many HD channels which is why I am moving to Dish. So basically, the 942 has the tuner in it but I still need to hook up the antenna to it. Is this connect via coaxial directly to the box or to the dish? Ok, this is what I have now. I just bought the $90 HDTV receiver from RS when it was on clearance. I was going to go out this weekend to get an antenna and hook it up to it. That way I have the 811 HD box with the OTA HD through my antenna. The benefit of the 942 would be that I can DVR the shows from HD OTA and the fact that I can DVR one show while watching another. Hmmm, decisions decisions...

I think you are a little confused. If you get either the 811 or the 942 you don't need the RS $90 box. The 811 has a built in OTA HD Tuner as well.

And to clarify things a little AN OTA Tuner is just that; a tuner. You still need an antenna to hook up to a tuner.

Ok, that I got now. I will need to put it outside. I will have to sell my RS receiver. Too bad as I got it at a great price. I guess someone else will get the deal, thats all. Thanks for clarifying. I think I have decided to get the 942 as the tuner alone I will be saving over $100.

Just to clarify.
If you connect the 942 in SINGLE MODE (1-tv), you will have multiple recording options because the 942 has 1-OTA tuner and 2-sat tuners!

That means you could be DVR (ing) 3-HD programs AT THE SAME TIME (1-OTA & 2-Sat) while watching an HD program you already had recorded on the DVR!

Nobody REALLY knows what the future holds (Mpeg-4), or what the cost & time table is, but the 942 offers the very best available NOW....and for $249.

I never had a DVR, but I got the 942 (actually I rented 1 & purchased another for the bedroom! I run each in SINGLE MODE) about 2 weeks ago, and I can tell you it has changed my life....for the better!

Good Luck!

scott78945 said:

I think I have made up my mind to get the 942. I was reading the articles on the FIOS that is coming but I don't think that will be for some time so I have to jump when I can. I will be calling my retailer this morning and seeing if I can get the 942. I have already had him change it from a 625 to the 811. They are going to hate me.

Ok, just called my retailer and I bit the bullet and upgraded to the 942 for the $250. I hope it is well worth it as I am new to satellite and don't know if I would have known the difference. Anyways, they won't be installing tomorrow as they have to order the 942 from Dish so hopefully sometime next week the install will happen. Thanks all for your help and comments for me to come to the right decision.

No...they will love you, their commission on the 942 is $250!
enjoy!
scott78945 said:
I think I have made up my mind to get the 942. I was reading the articles on the FIOS that is coming but I don't think that will be for some time so I have to jump when I can. I will be calling my retailer this morning and seeing if I can get the 942. I have already had him change it from a 625 to the 811. They are going to hate me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts