Getting Install Tomorrow - Any Advice To Give?

In all honesty, if you are watching high def on your 722, the wire will work perfectly fine for the hopper. However, that QC guy is by the book. If he goes out and fails my job, I get charged back what I got paid for the job plus $25 admin fee. And they expect me to go fix the issue for free. So I am now out of my time, materials, gas, extra $25, and whatever it costs to go back the second time.

Yes it is the technicians job to replace cables as needed, however if it is something like a two story house that is not straight forward wiring, I'm not gonna spend 3 or 4 hours at your house 'trying' to replace cable without causing damages that i then have to pay to repair.

This industry has a high turn around rate for installers. The chance of getting a tech with the experience to make a correct judgement call is pretty slim.

To the response about having the tech lay lines across floor for the install. That is a trip hazard and a lawsuit waiting to happen, not to mention a failed qc. And then what happens when the customer swaps to existing wires and the system doesn't work properly. Too many variables.

I have a family to take care of. And I have go do what's best for them. Is that the 'other' answer you were looking for?

Last edited:
Well, for whatever it's worth to yah, I appreciate you speaking-up and sharing the situation from a tech/installer perspective sperry. Allows me to be much more realistic as a consumer and more sensitive to the issues everyone faces in this particular situation.

Also gives me some hope that the RG6 flowing through me walls can work for The Hopper...;)

In all honesty, if you are watching high def on your 722, the wire will work perfectly fine for the hopper. However, that QC guy is by the book. If he goes out and fails my job, I get charged back what I got paid for the job plus $25 admin fee. And they expect me to go fix the issue for free. So I am now out of my time, materials, gas, extra $25, and whatever it costs to go back the second time.

Yes it is the technicians job to replace cables as needed, however if it is something like a two story house that is not straight forward wiring, I'm not gonna spend 3 or 4 hours at your house 'trying' to replace cable without causing damages that i then have to pay to repair.

This industry has a high turn around rate for installers. The chance of getting a tech with the experience to make a correct judgement call is pretty slim.

To the response about having the tech lay lines across floor for the install. That is a trip hazard and a lawsuit waiting to happen, not to mention a failed qc. And then what happens when the customer swaps to existing wires and the system doesn't work properly. Too many variables.

I have a family to take care of. And I have go do what's best for them. Is that the 'other' answer you were looking for?

Eh, if it were me, I would have just used it. Unlike sperry, I wouldn't get charged back because I'm an inhouse employee. I could, however, fail a quality audit which results in getting written up, which could potentially result in termination.

With that said I'd still do it and hope it doesn't get audited (as I'm forced to do with installs every day.) Like others have said, it's more than likely that it'll work just fine. The important thing is the technician was following the rules. This is not his fault and really he doesn't have the authority to "make a judgement call." In Dish's eyes, he's simply not doing his job correctly.

The reason why I would do it? I just quit caring about whether I lose this job or not. With Dish's ever changing rules, heavy handedness and systems designed to make tech's fail, it's just a matter of time before you're fired. I know this doesn't pertain directly to your problem midwest, but I thought maybe a little insight into why and what a tech does may be of some help.

Remember, the RG-6 requirement is for [deleted by author as it was incorrect]. From there it's easy to use the existing coax and pick it up at the wall plates. No wires hanging outside the house. No drilling thru walls. It's all there.

Last edited:
Can someone confirm the requirement for 3Ghz.

Is it You only need the 3Ghz rated cable from the node to the Hopper(s). as one post said

or just 3GHZ cable from the SAT to the Node (switch)? Or both?

Most of my cable is 2.2 Ghz. Will the tech pull new cable for free, we just need to attached the new 3GHZ cable to the 2.2 and pull it, we did not attached the cable to the studs so it can be re pulled or "snaked" through the walls with ease.

ScottChez said:
Can someone confirm the requirement for 3Ghz.

Is it You only need the 3Ghz rated cable from the node to the Hopper(s). as one post said

or just 3GHZ cable from the SAT to the Node (switch)? Or both?

Most of my cable is 2.2 Ghz. Will the tech pull new cable for free, we just need to attached the new 3GHZ cable to the 2.2 and pull it, we did not attached the cable to the studs so it can be re pulled or "snaked" through the walls with ease.

You're right, I was wrong. Look thru http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=75240&d=1331829810 here. RG-6 3 GHz from node to Hopper.

Teach me to go by memory.

The Dish LNB double stacks the signals to the node and requires 2 Ghz tested coax and the node triple stacks the signals to the Hopper so 3 Ghz tested coax is the rule. Cables going only to Joeys do not carry the satellite data so just need 1 Ghz capability so any 75 ohm coax is OK. That said, all RG6 is rated to 4 Ghz but could have flaws so it is tested and marked to guarantee it's performance up to that frequency. One of my Hoppers is using 15 year old RG6 with no frequency markings and works just fine.

Any ideas on my other question.

Will the Dish installer run new 3 GHZ wires if I only have older 2.2 GHZ wires through the walls that would connect to the Two Hoppers. They are run so that new wire can be pulled through the walls, we did not staple it down, just connect the new wire to an end and pull it.

Or is that extra. If extra should I buy my own cable and pre update it before the install?

If it's very very easy to replace, then you can probably get the tech to replace the two hopper lines. Joey lines can reuse any existing cable since they usually only need RG59.

If it's not easy, then I think it's kind of a toss up. We've seen some techs insist that hopper lines be replaced with dish approved cable and some not replace it because of difficulty. We've seen a number of reports on the forum where even 20 year old RG6 has been working fine with the H/J system.

Yes, the tech should replace the line with no issues, there is no additional charge. Unless you're going through a retailer, they can charge you if they want to since your account is actually with them.

Act like you know the line should be replaced and it will usually coerx the tech that really doesn't want to.

That's exactly what I'm counting on sparc...

If it's very very easy to replace, then you can probably get the tech to replace the two hopper lines. Joey lines can reuse any existing cable since they usually only need RG59.

If it's not easy, then I think it's kind of a toss up. We've seen some techs insist that hopper lines be replaced with dish approved cable and some not replace it because of difficulty. We've seen a number of reports on the forum where even 20 year old RG6 has been working fine with the H/J system.

1H/2J system being installed later today! Now, for the RG6 3ghz cabling...it's for between the dish and the node, the node and the Hopper, or the Hopper and Joeys? Or all three?? Just trying to be knowledgeable to confront any install issues!

Tech and FSM coming back to house tomorrow...fingers crossed for 2h/1j. They'll do some testing and we will go from there

Wish me luck!!

Tech and FSM coming back to house tomorrow...fingers crossed for 2h/1j. They'll do some testing and we will go from there

Wish me luck!!

Yeah hope things go well for you.. Also Welcome Aboard to Satelliteguys Best Place On The Net For Your Satellite News & Information.. :) Also the Hopper Rocks.. :)

So we are up and running with 2 h/1j (mostly existing cable)

Few hiccups, couldn't use HIC as the dual node is so far away from HIC and the house is completely finished - off so wiring tough. Finally got wireless router connected all ok for now. but really wanted to use HIC.

Search for guide programs not yielding results consistently, will try again tomorrow

We are confused on some timer set-ups. What are those icons on the guide that look like pencil erasers?

Why are some timer bubbles blue and other of various colors?

Wife thought we were having timers fire off, but nothing on DVR?

So we are up and running with 2 h/1j (mostly existing cable)

Few hiccups, couldn't use HIC as the dual node is so far away from HIC and the house is completely finished - off so wiring tough. Finally got wireless router connected all ok for now. but really wanted to use HIC.

Search for guide programs not yielding results consistently, will try again tomorrow

We are confused on some timer set-ups. What are those icons on the guide that look like pencil erasers?

Why are some timer bubbles blue and other of various colors?

Wife thought we were having timers fire off, but nothing on DVR?

Good choice with the two hopper set up! With the timer colors, I think those would be shows that may be skipped? Or being repcorded

From dish to hopper is 3ghz rg6. Joey's all use lower frequencies, can have rg59 between node and joeys

It is actually from the node to hopper that needs 3GHz, the dish to node only needs 2.25GHz, but most techs only carry 3GHz anyway. PLENTY of un-stamped/non-3GHz cable will work, but Dish does not want there employee to be able to think for themselves, it HAS to be stamped 3GHZ AND on their approved list. If not the installer and/or retailer can be charged back for EVERYTHING they were paid for the install and more (could be $100's even $1000+).

Yes, technically a brand new house wired with cable that is not on Dishes "approved list" is supposed to be completely rewired for every receiver (other than joeys). I would never rewire a brand new house when perfectly functioning cable is already installed, I think it is idiotic. But I work for a retailer and have more leeway than some. Even if the house already had a nicely installed DirecTV system & DTV cable on it (which is higher quality cable than what Dish uses) the cable has to be replaced.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts