Getting prepared for new HD channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mmulet

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 21, 2004
Southern Minnesota
Hello, sorry to be a noob but I want to make sure I know what I'm talking about BEFORE I talk to Directv.

My current setup is this:
3 LNB Dish
A DirecTivo 10-250
An H20 receiver
A Samsung TS-160 HD receiver.

In order to receive the new HD channels, I'm assuming I'll have to upgrade the satellite dish for sure, so question number one is, will the old receivers still work with the 5 LNB receiver?

My family would REVOLT if we had to get rid of the Tivo, so will the DirecTivo at least continue to work the way it does now with the 5 LNB receiver (ie, no additional HD channels, but same old ones)?

Do all 3 boxes need that B adapter?

Thanks in advance!

Miguel Mulet

1. Yes the 5 LNB dish works with ALL directv receivers new and old.

2. Yes all Tivo units will be supported in the near future. No reason at all to get rid of them if they work. You are already aware of the no new HD for non-MPEG4 boxes so no surprises there. My wife loves hers and its staying no matter what too.

3. Only MPEG4 capable boxes need B Band converters. So HR20 and H20.

Hello, sorry to be a noob but I want to make sure I know what I'm talking about BEFORE I talk to Directv.

My current setup is this:
3 LNB Dish
A DirecTivo 10-250
An H20 receiver
A Samsung TS-160 HD receiver.

In order to receive the new HD channels, I'm assuming I'll have to upgrade the satellite dish for sure, so question number one is, will the old receivers still work with the 5 LNB receiver?

My family would REVOLT if we had to get rid of the Tivo, so will the DirecTivo at least continue to work the way it does now with the 5 LNB receiver (ie, no additional HD channels, but same old ones)?

Do all 3 boxes need that B adapter?

Thanks in advance!

Miguel Mulet

1. Yes the 5 LNB dish works with ALL directv receivers new and old.

2. Yes all Tivo units will be supported in the near future. No reason at all to get rid of them if they work. You are already aware of the no new HD for non-MPEG4 boxes so no surprises there. My wife loves hers and its staying no matter what too.

3. Only MPEG4 capable boxes need B Band converters. So HR20 and H20.

2. addl, your TIVO will continue to work, but won't get any new HD channels (as Brewer mentioned).
They will work until D* eventually changes ALL channels to mpeg 4, which will be awhile yet, maybe a year or two I would guess.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)