Getting rid of the actual dish?

matskralc

Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
We cancelled our Dish Network service today. It's not really anything that's Dish's fault (well, the HD is kinda crappy and in my particular area Comcast's is marginally better)...it's more Verizon DSL's fault since we had no internet service for nine days and were thus prompted to switch to a Comcast TV/internet bundle that also saves us some money...

Anyway, that's a long story and not really the point. The account was in my wife's name, so she got stuck with the hassle of cancelling. The rep stated that we'd get the box to return the receiver, smartcard, and remotes in. She asked about getting rid of the dish, too. We rent an apartment on the second floor, so the dish is on the ground in front of our downstairs neighbor's living room window. And the landlord doesn't really want a dish sitting out there if it's not getting used. So anyway, the rep tells her there's a $99 "uninstallation" fee to send somebody out to get it, or that we can just "throw it away".

So, just for our own peace of mind, do we actually "own" that dish to the extent that we can get rid of it however we please? If so, what do one of these things typically sell for on EBay???

Dish's are a dime a dozen now day's. Not worth selling it on ebay with all of the ebay & paypal fee's..... As far as you owning the dish?, Well you really don't own the dish but I have never heard of Dish Network wanting the dish back. At one time they did require the LNB be returned but I don't think they require that anymore either. I would say your safe to do what ever you want to do with that dish but I didn't tell you that, My name is Julio if any one ask's.

We cancelled our Dish Network service today. It's not really anything that's Dish's fault (well, the HD is kinda crappy and in my particular area Comcast's is marginally better)

Comcast is "Marginally" better than dish's HD? Have you thought of getting laser eye surgery?, I heard it doesn't hurt and you will get 20/20 vision. :)

Right, since the Dish is actually attached to the property, I don't know if that makes you an owner of it, just like any cabling in your house, no matter who installs it, IS YOUR PROPERTY. However, it would cost dish more to come to your residence and take down the actual Dish than it would be to for Dish to just use new ones.

BTW, one needn't have told the landlords about the switch in service because now they expect you to do something about the Dish. There are some old sayings: Some things are better left unsaid or what [whoever] doesn't know won't hurt him. Besides, you may actually need and use that dish sooner than you think.

mats,

Where are you located? There is probably a SatGuys member near you who would gladly take it off your hands.

When I had the installer come out the other day to hook up a 1000+ dish for me so I can get all my channels off one dish (110,118,119, 129) instead of two (110,119,118, 61.5) he gave the regular LNBs (for 61.5 & 110) to me, but he said that he needed to take the dual 118 / 119 LNB back with him.

The dishes make nice conversational bird baths. And you already have the pole mount :)

FWIW the WildBlue dishes make much better bird baths than they do internet service devices. The WildBlue dishes are both larger and have an amazingly adjustable mount mechanism. Our WildBlue Bird Bath never fails to get a few amused comments from visitors.

Talon Dancer

When I had the installer come out the other day to hook up a 1000+ dish for me so I can get all my channels off one dish (110,118,119, 129) instead of two (110,119,118, 61.5) he gave the regular LNBs (for 61.5 & 110) to me, but he said that he needed to take the dual 118 / 119 LNB back with him.

Since you already have a 500+ why didnt he leave the dish 500+ and just add the 129 LNB that makes it a 1000+?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)