Getting screwed on locals

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
I get the Welcome pack for $45 per month. It list my locals for $12 per month. In my account it says that I can delete the locals, which should save me $12 per month off the $45 per month that I now pay. But, when I choose to delete the locals it states that my saving per month will be $0. SO, I pay $45 per month with or without the locals. Dish is not providing me locals, but is keeping the $12 per month in savings. Boy, talk about being screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I switched from Top 250 to Welcome pack few years ago. Happy with the decision since there are so many ways to stream and use OTA.
I called Dish customer support las year to drop locals because I was able to get them (with my own attic antenna to Hopper3) plus sub channels. The rep who was from The States told me that was not possible. Locals came with Welcome pack and were not added channels.
Sure, saving $12 sounded good to me, too.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yeah, but my online accountr states that locals are in a package for $12 per month and a link to remove them, but when you click to remove them. The projected savings is stated in my online account as $$$$00000. Who gets my $12 package savings?

Yeah, but my online accountr states that locals are in a package for $12 per month and a link to remove them, but when you click to remove them. The projected savings is stated in my online account as $$$$00000. Who gets my $12 package savings?
Well absolutely Dish does, you do not get them, Dish no longer has to pay the per sub fee and do not have to give you $12 in savings for your bill.

And is the Welcome Pack worth it without the locals at $45 plus a box charge.

You can get a lot of the same channels with Philo for only $25 a month.

According to this locals are included in the welcome pack

At the bottom of the page.

Effective 11/17/22, the price of Welcome Pack for customers who subscribed to it prior to 1/15/19 will be $45.99/month. Package Prices do not include $12/month Local Channels price except for Welcome Pack and DishLATINO Básico.

Pluto TV -reruns with commercials. a whole channel called 90210-wow! I thought Dish was bad, at least they have some original programming and you can record and skip commercials.

According to this locals are included in the welcome pack

At the bottom of the page.

Effective 11/17/22, the price of Welcome Pack for customers who subscribed to it prior to 1/15/19 will be $45.99/month. Package Prices do not include $12/month Local Channels price except for Welcome Pack and DishLATINO Básico.
So why would anyone delete the locals, when you do not save any money$$.

Pluto TV -reruns with commercials. a whole channel called 90210-wow! I thought Dish was bad, at least they have some original programming and you can record and skip commercials.
Pluto is free, Dish is not.

So why would anyone delete the locals, when you do not save any money$$.
Locals come with the Welcome and Latino packages. It is $12 extra with all the rest. So, if you don't want to pay that extra $12 with any of the rest of the packages, like the 200+ package, you don't order it. It's not complicated unless you want to make it complicated.

That's for standard packages and addons to the Flex Pack. The Welcome pack and the Smart pack are not standard packs and probably, seemingly include locals

FreeVee is pretty good too. The commercial breaks are much shorter than most other free services, and I am usually able to find a good movie to watch every night.

Also have YouTube TV but its harder to find something that I want to watch.

DISH needs to put a statement under 'Welcome and Latino packages'. Simple.

'Locals are included and you can not drop it'.

No more confusion. That would save a lot of time.

Hopper dvr is so awesome most of us won't leave. I'd rather keep my inexpensive pack than find some streaming alternative at the moment.

Philo vs Pluto, both sound like dog channels to me.
Except Philo offers almost all the channels ( and more like AMC and Paramount) on your Welcome Pack, but no locals for $25, including the DVR.

I would not of brought it up here, except for the fact you posted you were trying to save $12 with no locals.

With Philo, you save more then that, I assume you are paying around $60 for the pack and a box, so a savings of at least $35 a month, that adds up, in a year, a extra $420 in savings.

Here is the line up-

I called Dish several months ago and tried to downgrade to $12 only for locals, and they said that WAS offered during the pandemic but is no longer offered. I had the Welcome Pack and was trying to downgrade.

FreeVee is pretty good too. The commercial breaks are much shorter than most other free services, and I am usually able to find a good movie to watch every night.

Also have YouTube TV but its harder to find something that I want to watch.
FreeVe is a singular, with ads Amazon channel. It is not a substitute for multichannel services like Sling, Philo, YTTV, etc.