Giving blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyR

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Atlanta, GA
So anyone else here make a habit of giving blood regularly?

I just had a pint taken out by the Red Cross, and discovered its generally not a good idea to try starting a lawnmower a several hours afterward. Felt my arm was very wet under my jacket, pulled it off and found I was in the process of giving another pint without anyone to collect it. The needleprick had reopened and was pouring blood out quite quickly. Never had that happen before as I generally clot pretty quickly.

I bet I'll have a doozy of a bruise now. But despite this bad experience (mostly my fault for exerting myself) I'm sure I'll be back in March to give again.

Used to donate like clockwork in the Uk .. (they limit you to once every 16 weeks) Here in the US - they won't take my blood from me ... :(

Because I lived in the Uk between 1980 and 1996 it would appear that I have a risk of passing on CJD.

:eek:

Because I lived in the Uk between 1980 and 1996 it would appear that I have a risk of passing on CJD.

All it takes is one little death, and it ruins it for everyone. What a spoilsport ;)

CNN.com - Blood donor, recipient die of mad cow disease - Dec. 17, 2003

My guess is the restriction will probably be lifted in a few years, as while the incubation period for CJD is rather long, its probably not something that takes over a decade.

oops, nevermind... some folks are saying it could be 60+ years (die of old age before you get it!)

CJD Incubation Period May Well Be Over 60 Years

I would love too.. I did up untill i got deployed to Iraq. Unfortunatly, now I cant for 5 years due to anthrax shots and playing over in hot chemcial land. While none was found.. there were some used a long long time ago.. No telling what you got just from having contact with the dirt.

I gave up until 13 years ago when the nurse missed the line and spent a few minutes rooting around inside my arm without removing the needle, left me with a nasty 5 inch bruise. Used to sell plasma to when I was dirt poor, I'd do it now but for the jitters the nurse gave me and the fact the pay out on plasma hasnt went up at all in 20 years.

When I worked in San Francisco, I gave a pint of my best every 10 weeks. I am a member of the 3 gallon club. Since I left that job (retired) I haven't given any blood because of the meds that I take.

I give at least twice a year since (except for the two years after I was deployed in Haiti), my life was twice saved by transfusions. Onec as a child and once as an adult.

I just had a pint taken out by the Red Cross, and discovered its generally not a good idea to try starting a lawnmower a several hours afterward. Felt my arm was very wet under my jacket, pulled it off and found I was in the process of giving another pint without anyone to collect it. The needleprick had reopened and was pouring blood out quite quickly. Never had that happen before as I generally clot pretty quickly.

I bet I'll have a doozy of a bruise now. But despite this bad experience (mostly my fault for exerting myself) I'm sure I'll be back in March to give again.

My daughters life was saved 15 years ago when she was in a serious car accident and needed blood. She had a rare type and a man we never never knew came in at 4 AM to give blood to help save her life. Since then, I am a regular blood donor. I do what is called the double red, they take out twice as much blood as a regular donation, but then they take out the platelets and return the plasma to my body. Because of the amount they take out, I can only give every 16 weeks.
I have a few incidents in the last 15 years where they bruised me or the needle came loose and I had blood infiltrate my arm, but I still think it is important and I will continue to give as long as they need it.

I also give regularly, and do the double red donation like cristman. I'm a Lion, and my club sponsors 3 drives a year, and since I only get to give 3 times a year doing doubles it works out good. A few months ago at our drive my son and I both gave doubles, and my daughter did the standard donation. I am O+, my son is O-, the universal donor, so they really like to get his blood. We are both big guys, and its never bothered me. I just wish they would let me give more often.

Theres a shortage here in Georgia so I'm mulling it over, I'll just have to get past the memory of that nurse digging around in my arm trying to spear the vein.

Theres a shortage here in Georgia so I'm mulling it over, I'll just have to get past the memory of that nurse digging around in my arm trying to spear the vein.
Just be honest, tell them you had a bad experience, and ask for their best. There is always someone on every crew who the others recognize as being the best at finding a vein and hitting it. Just let them know you want that person from the beginning.

Especially you.... I was getting calls all the time with my O-. A- is like gold, maybe you could sell it! :)

A- is like gold, maybe you could sell it!

I didn't think A neg was all that rare. Wiki says 6% of the US have it (I do too). B- and both AB's are rarer.

I donate about every 8 - 10 weeks. Used to do the apheresis and WBC regularly until they wanted me every 2 weeks. After about 8 months of that I was looking like a pin cushion. I'll stay with the regular donations for awhile and then try the apheresis again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)