Status
Not open for further replies.

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Amherst, NY (Buffalo suburb)
I think we are giving up on going to see movies at the theater. My son and I went to see STar Trek on release day and we were a bit disappointed because the picture was not that great and the sound was really not good at all. We decided to go see it again this weekend because hubby did not get to go and it was playing in the IMAX theater. We honestly thought it would be better. 1. the whites flickered like a dlp bulb burning out. 2. If that was the IMAX experience I would rather watch it at home. 3. they had the sound so loud that I literally had to put my fingers in my ears to be able to tolerate the action scenes. 4. nothing to do with the movie really but the lady two rows away apparently bathed in perfume which gave me an asthma attack. 5. $4.50 for a small bottle of water, $8 for nachos and cheese.

This isn't the first disappointing experience we have had locally as far as the picture and sound. This is a Regal Cinema which is the newest in our area. I guess we will just have to have patience for movies to come out on dvd and watch at home from now on.

sorry to hear you had a bad experience satgal, we too just wait for disc release as our area has way too many children that can't seem to keep those dang phones out of their ear to watch an entire movie:rant:

sorry to hear you had a bad experience satgal, we too just wait for disc release as our area has way too many children that can't seem to keep those dang phones out of their ear to watch an entire movie:rant:

That's one of the enjoyable things about being retired. I go to the movies in the afternoon, or late morning, on schoo days....

i rarely go to the theater anymore. i wait till it comes out on bluray. with what's available today in electronics and HD, i find it to be better than most theaters.

I gave up on seeing movies in the theaters a few years ago. The wife dragged me to see the new Harry Potter a couple months ago and I could only find flaws in the projection system. Reminded me why we did our own home theater and only watch them when they get released on disc.

I gave up on seeing movies in the theaters a few years ago. The wife dragged me to see the new Harry Potter a couple months ago and I could only find flaws in the projection system. Reminded me why we did our own home theater and only watch them when they get released on disc.
:up

Normally I avoid seeing movies at the theaters. When we do it's weekday matinee (love having Wednesdays off, instead of Saturdays) A few weeks ago, I got a big bonus check; so I decided to treat the wife to a "his" and "hers" double feature. Went to the UA Theater in King of Prussia, PA.
First up was "9" - wasn't bad, some of the animation was actually very amazing, however it was way too short and I wish I would have chosen Ponyo instead. Matinee for 2, $17.

Next up was her choice, (embarrassed to admit it) Final Destination 3-D. The King Of Prussia UA was having problems with the digital projector for that one, so we caught it at a another nearby Regal Cinema. The movie itself, don't get me started... but the digital 3D effects themselves were pretty spectacular. I was VERY hesitant about the 3D, but it made me a believer. Digital 3D Matinee for 2 - $24.

Now, the ONLY reason I'd agree to spend about $25 dollars for the two of us to catch a movie was because of the un-budgeted bonus check. After seeing the 3-D previews for Avatar and A Christmas Carol... I'd be tempted to see at least one more 3D movie before the end of the year...

For the most part I've given up on theaters. I did take my 9 year-old grandson to a matinee of one of the 3-D films earlier this year and with a $2.50 "3-D surcharge"on each ticket, it cost me $25 for the two of us. There wasn't even a children's price, for 3-D. Add to that another $15 a big tub of popcorn and two sodas I dropped forty bucks. Not that my grandson isn't worth it, but geeze.

We are lucky that there's a second run theater nearby which only charges $1.50 and $1.00 on tuesdays so now and then I'll go there if it's showing something that I want to see, although usually it isn't. The place is kind of a dump, but they do have good projection and sound it's a deal.

We're about to give up on theaters as well, $7 for matinee and $10 for prime hours then another $30 for pop and corn for two adults and a child has pretty much killed the experience for us but we haven't had video or audio problems that weren't corrected within the first 3 minutes of the credits.

BTW satellitegal, my wife wants your avatar, where did you get it?

That's one of the enjoyable things about being retired. I go to the movies in the afternoon, or late morning, on schoo days....

Me too.

Plus I get a senior citizen discount at some theaters.

The sad thing is I usually don't have to ask for it !

And don't forget the sticky floors. Filthy filthy filthy. We wait for the Blu-ray to come out. Right now we're waiting on ST, which I think releases in November. I've pre-ordered it.

WAY cheaper to get and own the BD than to drive to & from, buy tickets & snacks, etc. And more pleasant, and I think my sound system is better than most theaters. At least I take care to set it up properly.

Until this we have only gone to see special things we just didn't want to wait for. Like the release of STar Trek or Star Wars and a couple others. Just because it is sooooo hard to wait.

Van..... I can't for the life of me remember where I got "Iggy" but you are welcome to copy him from me for your wife. If it doesn't work let me know and I will try harder to figure it out.

I agree OP. Part of the reason we built a mini-theater in our basement. We just wait for a flick to come out on Blu-Ray and watch it in the comfort of our own home.

Cheaper, no disruptions, more comfortable, more convenient and the PQ/AQ revels that of some public theaters.

On the rare occasion we can't wait for a movie to come out on disc, we go to the weekend matinées.

If I go to a movie, I only go to the $1 theatre. $9/ticket is too much.....I do most of my watching at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.