Glasses free 3D TV

That video was on the Samsung set that uses glasses to watch 2 different programs at the same time on the same TV (i.e. you and your spouse could each watch something different on the TV). Not glasses free 3D.

That video was on the Samsung set that uses glasses to watch 2 different programs at the same time on the same TV (i.e. you and your spouse could each watch something different on the TV). Not glasses free 3D.

That's very similar to what Sony came out with last year for the PS3 to get rid of "split screen" 2 player games.. Instead of using the two different polarized images to create 3D, player one uses the left polarized image and player two uses the right.. That way both players can play full screen.

As far as parallax barrier TVs, I say Meh. It barely works right on the Nintendo 3DS. I can't imagine the issues youd be battling in the real world.. Feng Shuei be damned.. :D

I'm sorry, but I posted the Samsung multiview in error here and removed it. It is in the http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/302217-Samsung-Booth thread-and is better at explaining it than the one I did at: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roq4c13lUsA

Anyway, the Nintendo auto stereo screen is nowhere near the quality and presentation of the Ultra-D system. While there are other glasses free systems out that look equally as good they are actually using the same technology licensed from Ultra-D company, streamTVNetwork. Nothing of this system is commercial yet but if anything would have a chance of success, I thing this one would work.

The reference to parallax barrier is not accurate to describe this system since a Parallax Barrier has only careful, particular locations where the 3D is visible. The Toshiba technology permits three locations using a face detection camera to follow your position. The Ultra-D presents good 3D and image quality in a large area sweet spot permitting an audience of many people to see the 3D perfectly without any glasses. If you can see the screen, its 3D can popout and grab your attention so it can be used as advertising signage in addition to entertainment viewing, creating a whole new market for 3D TV.

I was watching TWiT's CES Show Special Part 2 (TWiT Live Specials #151) and Scott Wilkerson, the Home Theatre Geek, stopped in to talk to Stream TV Networks CEO Walther Roelen at 17:15 - 21:37 in the podcast. He said that they had signed a deal with HiSense and that they would be bringing this to market in 2013. He also explained the imaging effect to be done with optical wave interference patterns and it sounded like the effect could be adjusted to change the distance that the viewer need to be at so it could be tailored to the owner's room.

Scott also covered the DTS 11.1 demo and interviewed Geoff Emerick about his impressions of this technology. That's at the beginning of the video. There is also some video of the Dish Hopper w/Sling as well (Scott and Dfergie's was better!)

You can download the netcast from TWiT.tv or watch on YouTube (http://youtu.be/6XVgqA7oZfQ).

Last edited:
There are lots of interviews surfacing on this company this year. Last year no one paid any attention to them. I saw the one done by Robert Heron for Revision3 which was pretty good too. I'll check out Twit. Haven't seen their shows in quite awhile. I liked the Leo bunch but their clique attitude gets old after awhile. Too much time spent discussing their personal life and gossipy stuff. Like we care about that. Anyway, thanks for the links.