Globecast picture quality and reciever

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fatdutchman311

Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Pittsburgh
Thinking about getting globecast to subscribe to Setanta and get the FTA channels. I would like to install a motorized dish to pick up other FTA channels on other satellites as well. A couple of questions to anyone in the know....

1)How is the picture quality of the Globecast channels?
2.)Can the globecast receiver be programmed to receive FTA channels from different satellite locations?
3.) I have an old Coolsat 4000 pro, can I use this receiver to receive Setanta on globecast???
4.) Since my coolsat doesn't have a card reader slot, and if Globecasts receiver doesn't offer multi satellite functionality, is there anyone who has a multi FTA receiver setup hooked up to the same dish that gets both globecast and other FTA content???

Thanks
Matt

Your Coolsat 4000 Pro will be better than the Globecast box. Globecast receivers don't have Blind Scan and they are prone to dying an early death. Look at this post on Globecast box.. If your box has a card reader, and you're able to lay your hands on a Globecast card, you can call them to activate the Card. BTW, If your interested......I still have my Globecast BOX, with an unregistered card...never used.;)

1) How is the picture quality of the Globecast channels?

I'd be curious to know what their pay channels look like in term of picture quality. Some of the FTA stuff can look great -- but only as long as nothing in the picture is moving. If a person on screen so much as blinks, it's pixelation time. I wouldn't want to watch sports on Globecast FTA, for example, soccer players all get the fuzzies when they move, and that's so distracting.

Some of the lower budget FTA channels on Globecast look like YouTube having a bad hair day.

I'd be curious to know what their pay channels look like in term of picture quality. Some of the FTA stuff can look great -- but only as long as nothing in the picture is moving. If a person on screen so much as blinks, it's pixelation time. I wouldn't want to watch sports on Globecast FTA, for example, soccer players all get the fuzzies when they move, and that's so distracting.

Some of the lower budget FTA channels on Globecast look like YouTube having a bad hair day.
Considering Setanta is Sports :rolleyes: I suspect they pay the premium for bitrate priority.

Even Setanta Adhoc has(/had? can't seem to find it on the lists) a better bitrate (to my eyes, no DVB-S card to check with)
than most of the other muxes playing the same Globecast Ads when nothing is on.

I watched a camel race (yeah now I've seen everything) a few nights ago on one of those Setanta channels on 97 . Forget which, there are 2-3 not scrambled anyway, and I happened to run across this. PQ was pretty good for a free channel, you could see the camels foaming at the mouth after 7-8min of non-stop racing lol.

Globecast will only authorize their receiver

Most folks who want to use Globecast with a motorized system slave the Globecast box and use a different one :)

I have yet to read one positive thing about a Globecast receiver anywhere on the internet, great.........
As far as using two receivers with one dish Mr Iceberg, is it just a matter of moving the dish back to position for 97.0 with the coolsat and motor and then switching tv inputs over to the globecast receiver???
I guess what I'm saying is there a lag of a couple of minutes while the globecast receiver loads up and acquires a signal, like how a BEV or Dish Net receiver takes a bit to load up if it loses signal with the satellite?
Or are there any other disadvantage to not having the dish connected to a globecast receiver continually locked on to the appropriate satellite dish??

Thanks for the input

I have yet to read one positive thing about a Globecast receiver anywhere on the internet, great.........
As far as using two receivers with one dish Mr Iceberg, is it just a matter of moving the dish back to position for 97.0 with the coolsat and motor and then switching tv inputs over to the globecast receiver???
yep pretty much. I use the Coolsat 5000 to move the dish and blind scan then if I want to watch a HD feed I flip over to the Coolsat 8000 which can do HD
I guess what I'm saying is there a lag of a couple of minutes while the globecast receiver loads up and acquires a signal, like how a BEV or Dish Net receiver takes a bit to load up if it loses signal with the satellite?
nope. These are pretty much set to go as long as there is a signal

Or are there any other disadvantage to not having the dish connected to a globecast receiver continually locked on to the appropriate satellite dish??

Thanks for the input

Free to air receivers dont have that issue. If there is a signal it shows the channels. If there is no signal you get "no signal" on the screen :)

I watched a camel race (yeah now I've seen everything) a few nights ago on one of those Setanta channels on 97 . Forget which, there are 2-3 not scrambled anyway, and I happened to run across this. PQ was pretty good for a free channel, you could see the camels foaming at the mouth after 7-8min of non-stop racing lol.

That was Abu Dhabi Sports -- it's kind of fun to watch Camel races!

Once in a (great) while Setanta goes clear and it has a pretty nice picture to it -- better than most of the other ones.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WHERE is Galaxy 19???

Can you identify this STB for me?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts