Going back to Comcast!

Dishnetisforme

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
California
They finally added CMT to my channel lineup so now am dropping Directv.I will be getting Digital silver which has more channels worth watching than Directv.

Digital Silver (of Fresno) $83.25/mo and 1 included premium channel with HD added. OUCH!

001 ON DEMAND Access

101 Weatherscan

119 Sprout

120 Noggin Get information about ON DEMAND programming

121 Discovery Kids Get information about ON DEMAND programming

122 Toon Disney

124 Nick 2

126 Nick Toons

135 MTV2 Get information about ON DEMAND programming

136 G4-video game television Get information about ON DEMAND programming

138 LIME

162 BBC America Get information about ON DEMAND programming

164 Shop NBC

180 NFL TV

183 Style Get information about ON DEMAND programming

190 UCTV

201 Discovery Home Channel

203 Fine Living Get information about ON DEMAND programming

204 DIY Get information about ON DEMAND programming

215 Nick Games And Sports

220 Discovery Health Channel

222 Fit TV

231 Inspirational Life

232 BYU Television

240 AZN Television

271 Discovery Times Channel

272 The Science Channel

273 National Geographic Get information about ON DEMAND programming

274 Military Channel

275 Biography Channel

276 History Channel International

402 ESPNews

406 Outdoor Channel

407 ESPN Classic

409 TV Games

471 VH-1 Country

472 MTV Hits

473 VH-1 Classic Rock

474 VH-1 Soul

475 MTV Jams

476 FUSE Get information about ON DEMAND programming

477 Si TV

482 Black Family Channel

486 The Word

501 Turner Classic Movies Get information about ON DEMAND programming

502 WE Women's Entertainment

503 Independent Film Channel

504 Lifetime Movie Network

505 The Sundance Channel Get information about ON DEMAND programming

516 Encore WAM - East

517 Encore - East

518 Encore - West

519 Encore Love - East

520 Encore Love - West

521 Encore Mystery - East

522 Encore Mystery - West

523 Encore Westerns - East

524 Encore Westerns - West

528 Encore Drama - West

530 Encore Action - West

586 Flix - East

603 Canal 52 MX

606 MTV Espanol

903 KFSN HD

904 KSEE HD

907 KGPE HD

908 KVPT HD

919 iN HD 1

920 iN HD 2

922 Discovery Theater HD

923 ESPN HD

925 HD SE (Special Events)

ouch! ? now Charper, one thing Comcast can do that the "pizza pans" can't do is offer On Demand. The service alone has been doing very well for people. I see over a dozen channels of OD, I wish I had access to OD.

I gave a buddy's OD a try the wknd i stayed over and its all wow factor to me, nothing of real substance to most users, but its new and catches your intrigue for a month or two and then it passes. IMHO

charper1 said:
I gave a buddy's OD a try the wknd i stayed over and its all wow factor to me, nothing of real substance to most users, but its new and catches your intrigue for a month or two and then it passes. IMHO

I'm with Comcast now for TV and I greatly enjoy the On Demand content as its one of my main viewing areas overall on the TV service. I'm amazed at how many movies are available On Demand with Starz and Encore that I'm amazed that BHN and TWC don't offer it as it would be a great edge to gain more money from subscribers. Also for some crazy reason its nice to have access to many Starz Premier movies almost two weeks to one month before they air on the main Starz feed. Also catching up on some of my favorite shows like Real Time on HBO and Huff and Penn and Teller on Showtime is nice and not having to use DVR space is also very nice. Comcast also has many movies that are free even if you don't order premium channels and they even have couple free HDTV movies On Demand and one of those movies happens to be the Fifth Element with Bruce Willis and that alone made the On Demand worth it.

I think On Demand has very real value and this is coming from a customer who pays just about 200 each month with the 12 month promo for the triple play with all premiums and two HD DVR boxes. So again I have all premium channels and two HD DVR boxes and I use On Demand (no PPV) all the time and I've had On Demand access for well over two years so I'm not in the WOW factor anymore.

Now On Demand alone wouldn't decide who I go with as a provider but knowing how picture quality is for HD and the pricing for satellite services now I don't think I'll ever go back to satellite again. Now I might be the few as I have Comcast which offers an all digital lineup with a digital box along with a very nice HD and SD lineup and soon a Tivo DVR product. I'll soon be moving in or around Derry at which time I'm hoping Derry will have a franchise deal in place with Verizon at which point I would be more than happy with either Comcast or Verizon. I will pick the company that offers the best balance of price and offerings so if Verizon had many more HD channels I would go with them as long as my total bill isn't much over 200 a month. I'm willing to spend 200 a month so even if Comcast gives me their service for 50/month less I won't switch if Verizon is below my cutoff limit and offers more HD that i want. I will at least try Verizon for several months and if the picture quality is as good as I've seen I most likely will switch just for that alone.

But the bottom line for me is that unlike BHN in Pinellas I'm very happy with what I get and pay with Comcast here. I feel like I'm getting a good value for the money now and the service I must say has been great so far.

Also if you read this Scott I didn't take the job with Comcast as I wanted to be more than a simple installer with my knowledge so I told the manager I'll enjoy installing and supporting Verizon FIOS services. He did offer me a tech position at 45 a year but I said no as he insulted me by offering that after he knew I was over qualified for an installers job. But the problem is that Verizon isn't hiring anyone in this area quite yet but I still think I'll interview but they do everything online now as jobs come open so you can't just walk in and prove your with and have them just hire you to not lose you. I think its a stupid system because you can never have enough over qualified tech workers but what can I do.

Longhorn, thanks for the review. Seem like people for the most part are really enjoying the feature. As for the job, I hate that you didn't, with your qualifications you could be in management with in a reasonable amount of time or higher rankings in the technicial field. Comcast tried sticking me with the installer postion and I ended up turning it down as well. Nothing against Comcast, I just didn't want to start all over.

I don't have them, so can you please tell me what OD gets me that I cant get with DVD rental? Why should I pay to have it included as part of a channel lineup as opposed to PPV; or the differences vs PPV.

i don't have to pay for my on demand channels. they are included if i purchase the premium channel. that is not the case for all cable co. you can push a button and have it start or you could wait for the movie to come in the mail or go to the store to rent it. it is something cable has that satellite can not technically do.

stone phillips420 said:
i get that package plus hbo/starz with hd for 29.99 for 1 year thanks to the ditch dish network promo

OK we generally dont compare with promos, but when that promo is over are you going to jump again?

korsjs said:
i don't have to pay for my on demand channels. they are included if i purchase the premium channel. that is not the case for all cable co. you can push a button and have it start or you could wait for the movie to come in the mail or go to the store to rent it. it is something cable has that satellite can not technically do.

Right I understand its included in the per month price, so the effective gimick is that you can start at anytime like select-a-vision in a hotel, as opposed to waiting on each qtr hour on PPV? And with DVD rental I can do the same thing added with my sat viewing correct? What else can it do?

charper1 said:
OK we generally dont compare with promos, but when that promo is over are you going to jump again?
nah, ill tell them im switching from satellite again to get another promo apparently in my area the ditch the dish promo has been ongoing for 3+ years now

if i cant i will have to byte the bullet and pay full price i cant live without true on demand

Plus now i can watch tv in the heavy downpours

stone phillips420 said:
nah, ill tell them im switching from satellite again to get another promo apparently in my area the ditch the dish promo has been ongoing for 3+ years now

Great record keepers they must be, LOL

Plus now i can watch tv in the heavy downpours

Don't start that debate again: power outages, lines cut by car wrecks and pool diggers or downed by ice or storms. Come on, just as many things can and do happen to cable and when they do it can take days or weeks to get back up, as opposed to my handy generator till the power comes back on. And in ten + years I have had 5 weather outages, thanks to AZ monsoons; no more than 10 -15 minutes at best.

And I am still trying to figure out the OD thing.

charper1 said:
Great record keepers they must be, LOL

Don't start that debate again: power outages, lines cut by car wrecks and pool diggers or downed by ice or storms. Come on, just as many things can and do happen to cable and when they do it can take days or weeks to get back up, as opposed to my handy generator till the power comes back on. And in ten + years I have had 5 weather outages, thanks to AZ monsoons; no more than 10 -15 minutes at best.

And I am still trying to figure out the OD thing.
not trying to add fuel on the fire but it rains here often imho
i also am within 4 miles of the msp airport and planes come over the house often with the runway setup at msp so im sure that also has a huge effect on my signals

when i last had cable back in analog days it stunk, if cable co was in the area upgrading they always cut the wrong line which meant 2-3 days of blue screen for me

I also have blockbuster online rental service and I still enjoy the On Demand movies too. If a movie is On Demand I won't waste my time using Blockbuster for it as I would rather use Blockbuster Online for a movie that isn't going to be available On Demand.

I also use On Demand for things Blockbuster nor Netflix will have such as shows from A&E, Discovery, NFL Network and the likes.

I almost never watch On Demand. There is too much lag in the user interface for me. Plus the menu system to select the movie is horrible on the SA boxes.

I do admit I browse thru the HD OD movies. But they have been the same 4 free movies for a while now (5th element, anaconda, desperado and some other one I can't recall at the moment). The HD movies seem good. I've watched Close Encounters and Jerry Mcguire. Both good quality as well, as long as you dont use the interactive features (pause, ff, etc).

-John

jgantert said:
I almost never watch On Demand. There is too much lag in the user interface for me. Plus the menu system to select the movie is horrible on the SA boxes.

Look into getting this, Cable at my house is split 5 times and this made a big difference, no lag at all for On-Demand or Broadband.

2438_MotImage.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)