Going Back to HD DVD Only.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CochiseGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Cochise County, Arizona
Well, I've had an XA1 HD DVD player for over a year, and really enjoy & prefer HD DVD. I bought a PS3 in April for BD playback only, convinced I should enjoy the "best of both worlds".

After 5 months, I've decided Blu-ray just isn't worth the bother for me. For my tastes in movies, there is much more selection on HD DVD. I don't like movies based on comic books nor do I care for cartoon / animated features. So, that's leaves this Fall's "Blockbuster" Blu-ray titles out in the cold for me.

On Blu-ray, the Fox titles always had the most appeal to me. They dropped all promised releases with no explanation or re-assurances right after I bought my PS3, so I didn't get a good start with Blu-ray. And now I see them starting the same crap with the rushed announcements after the Paramount / Dreamworksdeal. Amityville Horror & Master & Commander are already mysteriously dropped. I had the Robocop 20th Anniversary 2 disc DVD on order and canceled it when Fox announced announced the Robocop BD. Now the details are out - the Unrated Cut only (the DVD has both) and the ONLY extra is the theatrical trailer (the DVD has hours of extras). I'm sorry, I'm a film buff, and I like extras providing an in-depth look at how the film was made, etc. And for a MSRP of $39.99, I expect them. :mad:

So, I've been questioning why I bother with the expense & hassle of having both. And finally all the rumors of price cuts & new models for the PS3 pushed me over the edge. I have zero interest in gaming; I only bought it because it was the best value for a BD player at the time. So, if I don't plan to keep it long term, better to get rid of it while it still has some decent re-sell value. After tracking a few eBay sales to see the final selling price, it's done, out on eBay! So long Blu-ray! :p

I'll keep the half dozen or so Blu-rays I like for now, and if Blu-ray is still around in a couple of years, I may consider a standalone or dual format player - if it's reasonably priced and has completed specs.

In anticipation of having more dedicated HD DVD budget, I have on pre-order - We are Marshall, Troy, Director's Cut, Wyatt Earp, the Wild Bunch, Transformers, Star Trek: TOS, with the Bourne & Ocean's Trilogies to follow when the pre-orders are up . :hungry:

Last edited:
You probably want to add Deliverance, Elizabeth and "Nature's Journey" to your list. ;)

I have mixed feelings on Deliverance. I'm giving away my age here, but I saw it on release in the cinema as a newlywed with the (now ex) wife. Neither us had heard anything about it. With it being around the Holidays and a name like "Deliverance", she thought it was a religious film. I saw it had Burt Reynolds in it and thought it was his Dan August Detective TV series made into a movie. Let's just say we were both a little surprised. :eek:

I haven't seen it since and not sure I want to own it, but have it in my Netflix Q. Same with Elizabeth for my tastes, sounds like one viewing is enough. With the rave reviews for Nature's Journey, I plan to throw it in the next Amazon order.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

BTW, the PS3 sold on eBay this week. $50 cost of ownership for 5 months wasn't bad. ;)

I'm sticking with both. Right now I have just a Blu-ray player but will be buying a HD-DVD player as soon as the 3 gen. player shows up. I'm covered all the way around this way! I'll have the choice of exclusive movies from all sides!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)