Going Back to HD DVD Only.

CochiseGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Cochise County, Arizona
Well, I've had an XA1 HD DVD player for over a year, and really enjoy & prefer HD DVD. I bought a PS3 in April for BD playback only, convinced I should enjoy the "best of both worlds".

After 5 months, I've decided Blu-ray just isn't worth the bother for me. For my tastes in movies, there is much more selection on HD DVD. I don't like movies based on comic books nor do I care for cartoon / animated features. So, that's leaves this Fall's "Blockbuster" Blu-ray titles out in the cold for me.

On Blu-ray, the Fox titles always had the most appeal to me. They dropped all promised releases with no explanation or re-assurances right after I bought my PS3, so I didn't get a good start with Blu-ray. And now I see them starting the same crap with the rushed announcements after the Paramount / Dreamworksdeal. Amityville Horror & Master & Commander are already mysteriously dropped. I had the Robocop 20th Anniversary 2 disc DVD on order and canceled it when Fox announced announced the Robocop BD. Now the details are out - the Unrated Cut only (the DVD has both) and the ONLY extra is the theatrical trailer (the DVD has hours of extras). I'm sorry, I'm a film buff, and I like extras providing an in-depth look at how the film was made, etc. And for a MSRP of $39.99, I expect them. :mad:

So, I've been questioning why I bother with the expense & hassle of having both. And finally all the rumors of price cuts & new models for the PS3 pushed me over the edge. I have zero interest in gaming; I only bought it because it was the best value for a BD player at the time. So, if I don't plan to keep it long term, better to get rid of it while it still has some decent re-sell value. After tracking a few eBay sales to see the final selling price, it's done, out on eBay! So long Blu-ray! :p

I'll keep the half dozen or so Blu-rays I like for now, and if Blu-ray is still around in a couple of years, I may consider a standalone or dual format player - if it's reasonably priced and has completed specs.

In anticipation of having more dedicated HD DVD budget, I have on pre-order - We are Marshall, Troy, Director's Cut, Wyatt Earp, the Wild Bunch, Transformers, Star Trek: TOS, with the Bourne & Ocean's Trilogies to follow when the pre-orders are up . :hungry:

Last edited:
You probably want to add Deliverance, Elizabeth and "Nature's Journey" to your list. ;)

I have mixed feelings on Deliverance. I'm giving away my age here, but I saw it on release in the cinema as a newlywed with the (now ex) wife. Neither us had heard anything about it. With it being around the Holidays and a name like "Deliverance", she thought it was a religious film. I saw it had Burt Reynolds in it and thought it was his Dan August Detective TV series made into a movie. Let's just say we were both a little surprised. :eek:

I haven't seen it since and not sure I want to own it, but have it in my Netflix Q. Same with Elizabeth for my tastes, sounds like one viewing is enough. With the rave reviews for Nature's Journey, I plan to throw it in the next Amazon order.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

BTW, the PS3 sold on eBay this week. $50 cost of ownership for 5 months wasn't bad. ;)

I'm sticking with both. Right now I have just a Blu-ray player but will be buying a HD-DVD player as soon as the 3 gen. player shows up. I'm covered all the way around this way! I'll have the choice of exclusive movies from all sides!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)