good 7 port usb hub?

gary s

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 9, 2003
Southern Cal
Anyone know a good 7 port usb hub? One that will pass through 5 powered EHDs, mostly usb 2.0, at a good speed when transferring shows to or from a Hopper 2? I guess it would need on/off switches at each port and I don't know if the hub would need to be powered or not in order to get a decent speed for transferring. Hopefully a hub that is not too expensive. I did buy a cheap non-powered hub that is ridiculously slow.

Hub like that should always be self powered. I've not seen one with such switches. Each EHD should have a switch.

I'll check Amazon for the ones I bought.

I bought this one for use with my PC:
Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Hub with 25W Power Adapter and Two Ports with BC 1.2 Charging Support for Android, Apple iOS, and Windows Mobile Devices

And this one for one of HWS:
Plugable USB 2.0 10-Port High Speed Hub with 12.5W Power Adapter and Two Flip-Up Ports

I'm happy with both. But I'll only buy USB 3 versions in the future.

Hub like that should always be self powered. I've not seen one with such switches. Each EHD should have a switch.
I'll check Amazon for the ones I bought.

A self powered hub is what should make the difference in speed of transfers?
The super slow hub I've got has on/off switches at each port.
All my EHDs are WD self powered and do not have on/off switches. None out of the 5. They each have a power cord and the usb cable connected to them but have no switches.
1 or 2 of the EHDs are 3.0 but most are 2.0. I suppose I should get a 3.0 hub if I can find one.

Thanks for the replies!

I suspect an unpowered hub has cut corners and that is the cause of the slowness.

If you find a 7+ powered USB 3 hub with switches, please share.

But I prefer to power down my EHDs, since I so rarely use them.

I suspect an unpowered hub has cut corners and that is the cause of the slowness.

If you find a 7+ powered USB 3 hub with switches, please share.

But I prefer to power down my EHDs, since I so rarely use them.

There are several shown if you search " 7 port self powered usb 3.0 hub on off switches " on Amazon. I just don't know which would be good with a Hopper 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)