Good-Bye DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kschles

Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
After three years as a happy Directv subscriber, I have to say good-bye. Although I live in a Washington, DC, suburb, the Nielsen Co decided to move my location from the Washington, DC, DMA (Designated Marketing Area) to the Baltimore, MD, DMA. DTV subsequently switched my local stations (no more Washington Redskins games, no more Washington Nationals games, local news, etc).

I actually contacted a reporter from the Washington Post about the issue. He contacted DTV who admitted that while the FCC requires them to offer local channels from a specific DMA, there is no law prohibiting them from also offering additional local channels (someone should tell their customer service reps, who claim the FCC prohibits them from offering additional channels). However, they just don't do that at the present time.

What to do? Cable is an option, but I've contacted the Dish Network. Their rep, to the best of her knowledge, claims I will get Washington, DC, channels (I asked about 4 times). My installation date is in about a month, plus I have 30 days after that to cancel without a penalty, so we'll see. Have enjoyed the forum, but guess I'll have to switch that too.

Have you thought about an OTA receiver? You could probably easily pick-up both DC and Baltimore locals without much trouble.

CDH.

Most would have just 'moved'.

In the end, this is the FCC's fault, not DirecTV. They did not change their service, they still offer the same thing that they provided before, but the FCC changed the criteria for the service you qualify for.

If D* made an exception for you, they'd have to make 2 million more for those in similar situations, or those that would claim to be. It's logistically a nightmare, look how crazy people go over just LA/NY. This is all without going into spotbeams and quality of service by living on the fringe of them, etc.

Ultimately, I am sorry you lost a service which you clearly did enjoy enough to keep for 3 years, and hopefully your new service more suitably meets your needs.

- Stevo

E* has significantly viewed channels availble in the baltimore/DC area..WHY DOESNT D* OFFER THE SAME SERVICE???

I left D* due to decreasing PQ, but I notice from their web site that I can channels from the adjoining Nielson area now. Why don't you find out why D* doesn't do it for your area?

You can go onto Dishnetwork.com and go under programming then to local channels to see what locals are avaiable on your address.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)