• Excellent, can't beat it!

Votes: 10 16.9%

• Total voters

Mr. Krabs

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Hi folks,

This is my first post, so sorry to dive into discussion right away, but would like to know everyones opinion on the deal I just "negotiated" with DN.

6 year customer. Have 2 508 receivers with A250 package.
Called DN and after some negotiating here is the deal I got for upgrade:

Receiver 1: VIP 722
Receiver 2: VIP 622
Upfront cost $225 both and lifetime free replacement.
24Months commitment (not a problem)
Free USB enable
Free install (including HD dish and phone line to both receivers)
Install in two days (Sunday! :up)

Monthly:
+5.00 DVR 1
+5.00 DVR 2
+54.99 America's 250
+10 HD Essential (free for 12 months)
+5.00 Locals
=59.99 (69.99 after 12 months)

Wasn't too happy paying $225 upfront.

What do you guys think?

Please vote, but also reply with your comments/thoughts.

Update, got better deal . Please see this post below.

Basically here's what I got on second try:

Equipment:
1 x VIP 722
1 x VIP 622

Programming:
Dish advantage (includes A250, 1 x DRV fee, and locals) - $59.99
Dish Essential - $10.00

Fees:
Warranty - $5.00
2nd receiver fee - $5.00

Freebies:
Managed to get $100 credit against $225 upgrade fee, so I pay $125.00 upfront instead
2nd DVR fee $5.98 waived for 6 months
Dish Essential $10.00 waived for 12 months
USB enable fee ($30 I think), waived.

Thanks

Last edited:
I would call everyday for a week to see what deal you can get? I went through that last week and everytime i called i would get offered something different. I would not pay that much $ for receivers. is your contract near its end ? if so then you can do much better i think, Good luck You can allways cancel if they have not activated Receivers yet and try and get better deal.

May want to do the DVR Advantage. It will save you $3.95 per month.

I looked at DVR advantage but Dish shows very little detail as far as which equipment is included and which programming packages. Would you mind breaking this down in detail?

Thanks

DVR Advantage is just a programming package, it's AT200 with the first DVR fee included for $3.95 less than AT200 + DVR fee.

You can add premiums for $10 extra. Premiums include
- Premiums :)
- AT250 upgrade
- HD essential
- HD ultimate (or whatever it is called) counts as 2 premiums

Update.
Thanks to all who replied and especially DarrenS, who encouraged me to call DN again :) , rsmith7 and Pepper for Dish Advantage info.

DarrenS, to answer your question, I have no commitment atm, have been customer for 5+ years and never renewed my initial commitment (which was 12-18 month or so initially).

I called DN again with less than 12 hours to install time and re-negotiated the deal. Also found out that first rep gave me a misinformation as far as my fees.

Anyway, here is where I stand right now:

Equipment:
1 x VIP 722
1 x VIP 622

Programming:
Dish Essential - $10.00

Fees:
Warranty - $5.00
2nd receiver fee - $5.00

Freebies:
Managed to get $100 credit against $225 upgrade fee, so I pay $125.00 upfront instead

How do I look now? The rep insisted this is the best she can do.
Do you think I have some more room to go?

I really don't want to haggle for an hour to save an additional $5-$20 (upfront). Might be prepared to push for more, if this means monthly savings. Would you guys share your experience as to what else can I go after (but considering what I already have).

Sounds like a good deal now. However what is that 5 dollar warranty fee? Is that the protection plan fee? If it is there are many people including myself that don't pay this fee because you can add it at any time if you have equipment problems. That would save you an additional 5 or 6 dollars or whatever it is.

Sounds like a good deal now. However what is that 5 dollar warranty fee? Is that the protection plan fee? If it is there are many people including myself that don't pay this fee because you can add it at any time if you have equipment problems. That would save you an additional 5 or 6 dollars or whatever it is.
It is protection plan I always had.
When you say you can add it at any time, isn't there a minimum period you can use the protection plan after you add it? I mean is it as easy as calling DN as soon as dvr breaks and asking them to add the plan, then calling next day and asking for replacement?

Oh, and those few people who voted "Sucker", I have nothing against your vote (that's why I included it in the poll :)), but would you mind elaborating as to why that was your opinion?

And just to clarify to everyone, purpose of this post was not to brag but to see if I can get a better deal, so all opinions/suggestions will be extremely appreciated. Many of you guys have helped me already a lot. :up

Where else can I squeeze a penny? :D

Yea you can add the protection plan at any time and your covered. There's no need to keep this plan.
So I have already been a sucker for 5+ years :).
Figuring, spent $300+ on this alone since I had my service. Replaced DVR 508 twice (could have done this MANY MORE times but I just lived with DVR freezing problems).

A little OT, but since we are talking about protection plan, are VIP 622/722s more reliable and do they take 3-5 minutes to "find satellite" after hard reboot?

they take longer prolly 5-8 minutes after hard reboot, but thankfully they worked most of the bugs outta 622/722 except for newest software for it l449
To me hard reboot means, SC out/in. Is that what you mean? 5-8 mins a bit patetic :rolleyes:! Have you had any reliability problems apart from soft bugs, i.e. hardware problems that warranted shipping receiver back for replacement?

yes one of my 3 622, brand new 3 weeks ago just died got it setup for replacement im thinking my dpp44 sent to much power to 622 or l449 fed my ird
ah well i had 0 recordings on it no harm no foul except for my time on phone with dish

my other 2 622's have been rock solid so far

yes one of my 3 622, brand new 3 weeks ago just died got it setup for replacement im thinking my dpp44 sent to much power to 622 or l449 fed my ird
ah well i had 0 recordings on it no harm no foul except for my time on phone with dish

my other 2 622's have been rock solid so far

That makes me wanna keep the protection plan for 2-3 months (should reveal any equipment faults), then dumping the plan. Just checked online account and see that I can add the plan even online.

dhpp can be cancelled at any time but if you have problem and no dhpp, call them when problem arises tell them to add dhpp then describe your problem when the replacement arrives drop dhpp rinse and repeat as needed
never mention problems till you have dhpp on your account

Update.
Thanks to all who replied and especially DarrenS, who encouraged me to call DN again :) , rsmith7 and Pepper for Dish Advantage info.

DarrenS, to answer your question, I have no commitment atm, have been customer for 5+ years and never renewed my initial commitment (which was 12-18 month or so initially).

I called DN again with less than 12 hours to install time and re-negotiated the deal. Also found out that first rep gave me a misinformation as far as my fees.

Anyway, here is where I stand right now:

Equipment:
1 x VIP 722
1 x VIP 622

Programming:
Dish Essential - $10.00

Fees:
Warranty - $5.00
2nd receiver fee - $5.00

Freebies:

How do I look now? The rep insisted this is the best she can do.
Do you think I have some more room to go?

I really don't want to haggle for an hour to save an additional $5-$20 (upfront). Might be prepared to push for more, if this means monthly savings. Would you guys share your experience as to what else can I go after (but considering what I already have).
Thats Great Mr Krabs, looks much better, i am suprised they didnt try to get you to do a 24 month contract? you might even do better with that in the mix, thats up to you though i dont like the idea of being locked in for 2 years.

Thats Great Mr Krabs, looks much better, i am suprised they didnt try to get you to do a 24 month contract? you might even do better with that in the mix, thats up to you though i dont like the idea of being locked in for 2 years.

No, actually they did lock me in for 24 months, which is not a problem.

An update.

Yesterday the DN tech came, and installed 2 x VIP 722's instead of one of them being VIP 622. Naturally I didn't complain :p.

When I asked about DN promising running two phone lines to receivers, he said DN says anything they want but he would not run lines, as DN doesn't pay them for it :mad:.

He suggested I call DN and try to get wireless phone sockets free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts